• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Chuck, by the time you add your usual tidbits and touches, I doubt anyone will be able to nitpick the vegetation to any great extent. And if they do castigate you on coloration or texture, then it will help you develop as keen an eye for scenery as you have for everything else. Knowing you, if you think they are correct, you'll rip everything out and start again!

By the way, the grass color looks, to me, more like late spring than late summer. So those who would criticize it can put THAT in their pipes and smoke it! (Uh-oh. I hope they don't get high from smoking scale grass or the Drug Enforcement Agency may raid this forum!)

Russ

marc_reusser

Quote from: finescalerr on February 11, 2010, 12:48:59 PM
Chuck, by the time you add your usual tidbits and touches, I doubt anyone will be able to nitpick the vegetation to any great extent. ......

Russ

For shame....after all these years, and you still don't know me at all! (and this revalation so close to Valentines day SOB, SNIFF  :'( :'()

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: Chuck Doan on February 11, 2010, 07:19:48 AM
I am planning an additional shrubbery (nee!), and that may help.
Well just so long as it's nice....  ;)

Paul

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: finescalerr on February 11, 2010, 12:48:59 PM
I doubt anyone will be able to nitpick the vegetation to any great extent.
Russ

You're just jealous because we're not picking your nits... but with all those thong bikini clad young things in your office, I would think they'd be able to handle that for you...   ;)

Paul -- on the way to the corner--

finescalerr

Okay, okay. Paul and Marc, no hard feelings. Will you be my Valentines? -- Russ (already thinking he may have made a grave error here)

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: finescalerr on February 12, 2010, 01:26:24 AM
Okay, okay. Paul and Marc......Will you be my Valentines?
Oh, sure.  Play favorites.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

finescalerr

Okay, I'm a whore. Anybody can be my Valentine. Satisfied? -- ssuR

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: finescalerr on February 12, 2010, 01:26:24 AM
Okay, okay. Paul and Marc, no hard feelings. Will you be my Valentines? -- Russ (already thinking he may have made a grave error here)
Always and forever...  ;D  Afterall, you're the bloke with the office-full of thong-clad cuties  ;)

Paul

Chuck Doan

Slowly adding to the groundwerks. I have added grass clumpage to the left side and more layers to the dirt/gravel (dirtvel?) Still have lots more macramé twine grass to blend in amongst the green.  Prior to the groundwork I cut the wall in half and kicked it back for interest, sort of like the Sage store posted earlier. This also allows a slight angle mounting in the case. I have yet to heal the siding from this trauma. The color on the front edge is just primer and will be re-painted a hopefully better color (I believe "Hopefully Better" is an actual Sherwin-Williams color). It's looking more like Hwy 395 than Hwy 49 to me at his stage.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

That'll do for now. I agree that the grass clumps look a little "stuck on" at the moment but you will fix that in short order. I like the garage setback. Clever and subtle and it works. The "dirtvel" already looks much better (as I knew it would).

As much as I love vegetation (as is evident from the vegetative state of my own mind) I wonder whether there is actually too much dense grass, especially right in the front, across from the tire rut in front of the gas pump. Also by the left hand garage door. It would seem the tire track areas should be wider. If the structure supposedly recently was in use, then you probably need to consider that stuff.

On the other hand, if it has been abandoned for a year or more, then you probably need some small, thin weeds starting to grow where the tires used to roll. I doubt I could model either effect convincingly myself but you probably could. And how about those ubiquitous little yellow flowers we seem to find all over throughout the year? Or dandilions? And puncture weeds?

When a model gets to the stage where it's an almost perfect replica of reality, it becomes easier for a club fisted, crosseyed dunderhead like I to notice such things.

Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on February 15, 2010, 12:26:10 PM

When a model gets to the stage where it's an almost perfect replica of reality, it becomes easier for a club fisted, crosseyed dunderhead like I to notice such things.

Russ

Oh , Mr. Russell , you flatter yourself !

Nick

( And no , I'm not going into the corner because there is a great big spider already there )

finescalerr

Maybe you think I didn't see that, Nick. But I did! To the corner with ye, spiders notwithstanding!! -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on February 15, 2010, 12:50:37 PM
Maybe you think I didn't see that, Nick. But I did! To the corner with ye, spiders notwithstanding!! -- Russ

You're a cruel and hard man .

danpickard

Chuck
I like the change to the lines on the front walls.  Moving the garage back that fraction creates a nice little collection corner.  I particularly like the shadow it has now created...makes you sort of peer into it to see what might be there.

Cheers,
Dan

lab-dad

Getting there!
That new corner is perffect for a discarded "thingy" may be an old tailpipe, motorcycle handlebar, gas can or barrel.

-Marty