• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Chuck,

this really is out-standing work, and I am amazed when looking back through the thread how much the character of the piece has changed by moving the garage wall back that fraction back. I hesitate to use the word better because because of what that then implies, but certainly the composition and the new possibilities it creates gives the whole piece a great new twist.

Could you just share the secret of how you keep your concentration and quality of work over, to me, a long time in the gradual evolution of these pieces?  
Gordon

marc_reusser

I really like the result of your decision to set the garage back a bit. It really enhances the composition and feel of the scene.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Thanks! Gordon I have no secret, just a shallow mental In basket! Its easier to keep track of one project at a time. This one has suffered from bad planning and that has added some rework time, but it seems to be working out finally.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Philip Smith

amazingly inspiring work Chuck!

all there butt the cigarette butts

8)

Philip

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: Chuck Doan on February 16, 2010, 07:24:13 AM
...but it seems to be working out finally.
You master of understatement you...
It's amazing how much more dynamic the front has become with the new setback, small as it is. Also, I'm pleased to see the change in the gravel and ground cover... much more convincing.  Looking super Chuck...

Paul

Ray Dunakin

Looks fantastic! I keep expecting to see a lizard sunning himself on the porch!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

TRAINS1941

Looks even better with the setback.  Most people would love to have that stuck on grass clump look you have created.  Hopefully if I ever get to that stage mine will look that good.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on February 16, 2010, 09:02:29 PM
Looks fantastic! I keep expecting to see a lizard sunning himself on the porch!

Chuck,

If you want a lizard, I have one from a 1/35 figure set that I can send you....let me know.

Marc

M-Works

Chuck Doan

A quick lathe exercise; a fill pipe for the gas tank. I found several pics of older stations with this pipe next to the pump.
Made from styrene, turned the top part and glued it to 1/8" Plastruct rod. Glued the hinge and hasp and sanded them to shape when dry.

Thanks Marc, I might be making a pile of boards that could be a perfect lizard perch. I have a Backshop lizard that would more like an iguana in this scale.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

marc_reusser

Whoa...that looks absolutely like the real thing.

What did you use for the galv. color....it's spot-on.

I'll put the lizzard in the mail.

Marc

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Thanks!

I sprayed it with Testors Flat Black from the can. Then thinned Polly Scale L and N Grey which let a bit of the black come thru. Then Gwosh rusty color sponged on and Dullcoat sealed.
Then dufted on Bragdon white and grey powders, blew off a bit and then Dullcoat spritz from a distance for some mottling. 

The slight texture from the spray can helped too.

Most old ones I found had a rusty head but not the fill pipe...don't know why.

Ray Dunakin

I clicked to open the "new messages" on this thread, and then turned away from the computer for a minute to work on one of my own models. Turned around and thought, "Cool prototype pic of an old fill pipe." Then I read the text and realized I'd been fooled! Nicely done, Chuck! It actually makes the surroundings look more real as well.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

danpickard

Chuck,
Inspirational standards as usual.  Like Marc pointed out, thats a great rendition of the galv colouring and texturing.  The great "natural lighting" also compliments the modelling work...hard to beat sunlight for great shadows and light intensity to give a true impression of the colours.  As the environment starts to build up around the garage, its all starting to come together as another superb example of real life modelling.

Cheers,
Dan

TRAINS1941

Well that beats all!!  I thought I was standing outside for a minute then realized I'm in NJ an it's raining here.
No words just drooling over your work, just when I think your at the top of your game you surprise everyone once again.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin