• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

How close to completion is the diorama? It seems you are only a few hours away. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

Currently it is sitting quietly, acquiring a thin and realistic coating of dust.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Quote from: Chuck Doan on July 28, 2010, 02:11:27 PM
Currently it is sitting quietly, acquiring a thin and realistic coating of dust.

Will this be the first time dust is really realistic in a model ;D

Chuck use some of the energy you have stored away and go forth we are waiting.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Chuck Doan on July 28, 2010, 09:14:18 AM
Thanks for the ideas! I haven't done a two-sided sign before, so there are new things to try. I have some .002 steel shim stock, but cutting the shape could get tricky as you say, Dallas. Last resort, an empty sign bracket and the footprints of a collector!

Chicken!

Enough about how tricky it is to cut out a shield shape ... now "man up" and do the flying horsey by itself!

Which, actually, could be a lot easier than doing a two-sided sign with printed lettering.  Here's my horse-brained logic on that:  print the logo to desired size ... one seller says 30 x 16.5" actual ... paste that to .005" styrene.  Cut out the shape ... which is no big deal in styrene ... paint it red ... scratch off the red where the white appears a la making an etching ... repeat on the other side.   Once the shape is cut out, the "alignment" issue is gone ... it's just facing the other way on the other side.  Since there's no layering of decals, etc, then some of the issues of thickness are diminished.  And, the solo horsey is a really cool and subtle detail.  (C'mon, man, you made scale wire nuts for crying out loud!)  ;D
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Malachi Constant

PS -- Did you know they made little Pegasus charm bracelet doo-hickeys ... that measure about 1-1/4" across?   Hmm ... (search "Mobilgas pegasus charm" ... plenty of results)

Do know that Sinclair used plenty of 3-D dinosaur promos ... don't know if Mobil ever hung 3-D signs ... but interesting (and damned easy) possibility

jacq01

cheap surrogates.......................
  Only an exact model will do here. You have to be in the mood to make one..... ;)

Chuck wonderfull how this has grown, thanks we were allowed to participate....

Jacq 
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Chuck Doan

Hey I've your chicken right here bud! ;D

Thanks for the ideas Dallas! Mobil had a bunch of interesting signs and I doubt I have seen but a fraction of them.

This is the one I am looking to do:

Just a quick paper doll cutout to judge a good size. I haven't really applied myself too hard yet, if I can get my decals to apply OK then it should be easy. ::)

This is another neat one:

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Craig_H on July 29, 2010, 07:50:06 AM
...any questions Gas related i might be able to help ::) Here's a few of my orig Mobil gas pieces :)    Craig

Craig --

Good to know and thanks.  Interesting that the little keychain fob you've shown has the 3-D pegasus on it ... did they ever do any signs with relief to them or only flat?  The "chicks for sale" version that Chuck posted with the cut-outs is a cool variation on the flat sign!

For Sinclair, the little brontosaurus charms that are available would work for certain of their promo items (like die-cast banks in the larger scales) ... and various brontosaurus toys would work for the big 3-D Dino's that perched on and around the stations ... interesting stuff.

And, while I'm thinking of it ... below is a photo of an old BP gas pump in Europe (NOT to start any "BP" related discussion) ... but I have a nice little resin gas pump from Verlinden that looks just like this.  Was anything similar used in the U.S. in the "pre-visible" era ... or is this a strictly European design?

Thanks!
Dallas

Krusty

Quotebut I have a nice little resin gas pump from Verlinden that looks just like this.  Was anything similar used in the U.S. in the "pre-visible" era ... or is this a strictly European design?

Dallas

I'm pretty sure that's a pump made by the French company Satam. They were certainly exported (we had them in New Zealand -- there was some connection with a local company called Pallo Engineering who later made their own pumps) and the company was taken over by Tokheim in the 90s, but whether their early pumps made it to the States I don't know.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Malachi Constant

Craig & Kevin --

Thanks for the additional info!  Hopefully, Chuck is off rolling up his sleeves and actually making a sign as we chat in his thread!   8)

Dallas

marklayton

He who dies with the most tools wins.

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the link Mark! Some nice signs for sure.

Dallas my fingers are caught in my sleeves...now what?

Malachi Constant

You had 666 posts to your name when I saw this message ... therefore, I respectfully suggest that you bang your head on the table and shout "out, demon, out!"

Then have a beer or what-not and get to work on that sign.  ;D

Craig_H

Dallas,   I stand corrected about the Mobil sign here's a picture i just found of a relief horse both sides :o never seen one before ??? Might of been made special for a promotion they were doing. Anyway its COOL and would love to own it.     Craig

Malachi Constant

Wow, cool combo ... now, just by eyeballing, if you took one of those little charms (which are available pretty inexpensively) and wanted to make a model of this car & trailer ... what scale are we talking?  HO, S, O ... or ???

I know that I scared you a bit with my "creative" (or more likely "offbeat") approach to looking at things ... appreciate your factual knowledge to rope that in ... and pleasantly surprised to find that fact is just as strange and visually appealing as fiction!  What a great little advertising vignette that would make.  Yeah, I know, you want the REAL big pegasus ... I'd settle for time to put one of the charms into a scale setting!  ;D

PS -- Maybe Chuck already modeled the advertising trailer and THAT's what is hidden away behind those locked garage doors ... safe from collectors.  8)

PPS -- Did you notice the detail on the hubcaps?

Cheers,
Dallas