• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Satisfactory. But it's not done yet. -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Good Gugga Mugga!

Amazing work fabricating the little coat-hook hanger so neatly ... the thin scotch tape plates is one to file in the brain cells ... etc.

Question:  How d'ya do the dents so neatly?  Tricks?

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Chuck Doan

Thanks! Yes Jerry it was nice to do some modelling this weekend.

Dallas I just used some round and half-round Swiss files to cut the basic shape and then sanded them smooth.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

chester

"Dallas I just used some round and half-round Swiss files to cut the basic shape and then sanded them smooth."

Aw, c'mon Chuck. When are you going to admit that some of these distressed things are plain old accidents that happen to look OK and not intentional. ;)

Lookin' good btw!

Gordon Ferguson

Chuck, nice work ... those brass hooks are a good lesson for me, need to try harder to keep high standards at every stage  .... its probably what I admire most about your work that you achieve the same level of accuracy and detail over the whole model/diorama and be able to do it over a long timescale.

I hope you will provide an in depth SBS when you get to the nozzle/trigger (some dimensions would be nice) as I have tried on several occasions to successfully model one of these and never got close to a satisfactory model. 
Gordon

Gordon Ferguson

Chuck, just remembered I had this in my files, you probable have it but if not may be useful ?
Gordon

Craig_H

Guy's     Your all forgetting that Chuck has a Real.... Visible Gas Pump.....like the one he's modeling. ;) So he's got the real thing to look at ;) and model from. Don't get no better than that.  {I'm Jealous} ::)       Craig

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: Craig_H on August 24, 2010, 04:15:44 PM
Guy's     Your all forgetting that Chuck has a Real.... Visible Gas Pump.....like the one he's modeling. ;) So he's got the real thing to look at ;) and model from. Don't get no better than that.  {I'm Jealous} ::)       Craig

That's ok, the gas pump pics are useful for those of us who aren't so lucky!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

I painted the pump body and have begun the long and tedious chipping and rusting process. I'm afraid this pump has seen better days. The oil dispenser I did previously exhibited mostly in-service chipping; wear and tear from regular use plus a touch of surface rust. The gas pump has a little of that, but most of the chipping, (or actually flaking) seen is paint failure, along with more serious surface rusting. I suspect the pump was going downhill even before the garage closed.

I painted and chipped the pump body the same way as the oil dispenser. The rusting also uses the same sequence. I did try to preserve some of the lifted paint chips by using Dullcote and a touch of diluted white glue. We'll see if they survive further handling. I also took a small round wire wheel and pressed the edge of it into the softened paint and wiggled it in spots near the chips. Easy to overdo, but an interesting lifting texture effect.

Right after the initial chipping.

Some checkpics after first applications of surface rust and streaking. Lots more to do.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

BKLN

I was waiting for this weekend update the whole morning. Thank you very much for posting all these great progress updates! Your documentation of the work process is just as excellent as your eye for detail and your amazing craftsmanship!

Malachi Constant

Oh crap, I quit!  >:(

Speechless!  All of it ... especially that last photo.  :o

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

lab-dad

great information, I like the idea with the wire brush.
FWIW It looks a little too far gone right now, more like one found on a saltwater marine fueling location.
But what the hell do I know. May be it has been abandoned that long?.....
The labels/emblems really look good!
-Marty

TRAINS1941

The Monday morning update.  Good way to start the week.

Well you have out done yourself in the creativity department once again.  But we all knew it was going to be perfect anyway.

Most excellent.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ken Hamilton

You're really starting to bug me, Doan.

Could you...like...take up Airplanes-or-Something so the
rest of us can at least THINK we're good at this?
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

eTraxx

Quote from: Ken Hamilton on August 30, 2010, 08:41:54 AM
You're really starting to bug me, Doan.

Could you...like...take up Airplanes-or-Something so the
rest of us can at least THINK we're good at this?

I don't care who you are. THAT'S funny!!  ;D
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"