• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

Chuck, that's just the best. I'm not terribly experienced with these but the ones I've seen in real life have an almost pink color in the glass.

Chuck Doan

Thanks! I'm currently testing ideas for the glass. I have many pics of old cylinders to try to copy. I'll probably stay with clear as I'm not sure how color tinting might come out. I do know it will be filthified a bit!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

If you absolutely decided you wanted to tint the glass, you could probably try using a one of Tamiya's 'clear' colors, that was heavily diluted/mixed with their gloss clear, and then thinned and shot through the AB.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Mr Potato Head

I recently had a project where I wanted to tint my tail lights and I used red ink and "Future" polish, I mixed up the color and the future and then dipped my lenses into the mixture and let them sit, then I carefully pulled them out and let them drain and dry, I did it a few times to get a deeper color. Now they had ridges to catch color and it made it easier to get depth. So on your "glass"? I am not to sure if there's anything to catch the color? But this worked for me. Just a thought
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

teejay99

So , I'm in the computer room , looking at this thread .

My dear wife is in another room , quietly reading her favourite book on the Queen Mum ( British Royalty ...not somebody from South Beach   ;D )

Suddenly she jumps as she hears " Holy Crap , look at that ....what a model ...what weathering ...look at the detail ...I don't believe it , it HAS to be a real building .....no way .....are you kidding me ? "

My Wife - " Teejay , are you looking at Red Oak Garage again ?"

Me - Uh , No , hon .

My Wife - " Every time you look at Red Oak you yell and scare the hell out of the dog "

Me - I tell you I'm not looking at Red Oak

My Wife - " That's what you said last time ...poor Darla was shaking for an hour "

Me- I'm telling you it's NOT Red Oak Garage .....this time .  ::)

T
Wilson's Law: As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

marc_reusser

Here is an example of the un-thinned/diluted Tamiya Clear red, on a piece of slide cover glass. was applied with a brush on the inside surface of the glass.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Chuck Doan

Thanks Marc and Gil. Thanks Terry! Someday I hope to get back to this.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Chuck Doan

I stole an hour and glued the glass cylinder in place. Used highly sofisticated tooling to insure everything was straight....

Junior

Incredible Chuck! Can´t wait to mess up my 1/87 version for Krakow.

Anders ;D

BKLN

These are the things that ruin my day. I was just all excited about Anders' auto shop and then Mr.Doan comes along, casually slapping a new picture of his incredible work in our faces. And raising the bar further...

Mobilgas

Chuck,    I see you didn't weather the glass to much.......i was hopeing for more Gunk and Dirt.... like the one in this picture
Craig

artizen

My concept of highly sophisticated tooling is Lego blocks.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

finescalerr

Find another hour and work on it more. -- Russ

RoughboyModelworks

Ah ha... the secret is revealed in the highly sophisticated tooling...  ;)

Paul