• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

Well here in Maine one would apply say it's of the "Finest kind".

Great stuff Chuck, thanks for walking us through a magnificent build.

Ray Dunakin

Truly marvelous work, Chuck!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Another bit of detail: a tired old meter box (sans meter). Researched on Flickr. I 3D printed the box and the interior insert. I added a conduit fitting turned from .06 styrene hex and a plug also made from styrene. The bottom lock tab is .010 styrene and the mast bolts are from Plastruct hex stock. The wiring is annealed brass wire. (The black post is temporary). I finished it off with a few leaves stuffed inside.

The finish:
•   Sprayed Flat Black from a can
•   Thinned Polly Scale grey brushed on
•   Gouache, Dullcote, light soda blast, gouache and pigment powders. Applied with paint brush, toothpick, cosmetic sponge and artist's stump. I also added some yellow paint slop around the edges.
Next is the service mast and weatherhead.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Junior

Great Chuck! Is there a picture of the real thing on Flickr. ? In any case I´m sure it´s identical to this miniature masterpiece.

Anders  :)

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Malachi Constant

Outstanding detail!  (Of course) ... and, er, it seems maybe you've changed the name of this thread?  ;D

That made me curious, so I went back to page one which is dated almost two years ago (and think that was when it was titled "already in progress" or some such) ...

Anyhoo, I find your slow modeling delightfully inspiring as I approach the one year anniversary of my building project with only two walls!  ;D

Oh yeah, and it's nice to savor the flavor as things go along ...

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

Oh, anybody could toss together a detail like that. Still, all things considered, it's not bad. -- Russ

Philip Smith

Chuck Doan

Thanks!
Dallas, after two years of chawing the flavor is pretty much gone.

Frederic Testard

For years and years, I've tried to find new ways to tell the feelings this kind of modelling creates in me...
Apart from superlative words, I've tried to imitate.
What's the size of the box?
Frederic Testard

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

lab-dad

HE IS A FRIGGIN' SORCERER!
Look how the part is just floating above his fingers!
He didnt build it! He conjured it up with some eye of newt spell!
No fair!..... >:(

TRAINS1941

ARE YOU SURE YOUR FROM THE SAME WORLD WE ARE!!!!

Perfect!!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

Thanks! Marty, I was just trying my levitating again. Glad I haven't lost my touch! Thanks Frederic, it's 3/8" x 1/2" x 3/16 thick. (9.5mm x 12.7mm x 4.7mm)

JESTER

Wow Chuck, you are amazing!! Thanks for the inspiration!

What is a "light soda blast"?

-