• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/2" Scale project still in progress (somehow)

Started by Chuck Doan, July 20, 2009, 08:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: Chuck Doan on September 23, 2009, 09:19:04 AM
Heres a couple of window pics from Flickr I used as reference...

Your window is weathered better than theirs.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Belg

Quote from: shropshire lad on September 21, 2009, 03:50:35 PM
Quote from: Chuck Doan on September 21, 2009, 03:05:36 PM
Thanks Gordon! I had been following that one during construction but I had not seen it finished. Spence is the MAN! Just amazing.

Chuck ,

I saw it yesterday ( because I was at the show ), and it certainly was a fine piece of work . However , it didn't quite have the " used and abused" look that sets your work apart from everyone elses . It was one of the standout dioramas with more imagination used than most on offer . I did take some photos but haven't downloaded them yet so I haven't a clue how well they turned out . I don't expect them to be better than what has been posted .

Nick

This is the quote that let me to ask about the photos Nick. I saw that Marc has now posted a link to a 17 page photospread. Forgive me for asking but there is one tank that is half in excellent condition and half in derelict condition, I have never seen this before would there be text by the display explaining what the modeler is trying to portray? Sorry to run this into your thread Chuck but don't know to put all the info together elsewhere. Pat

shropshire lad

Quote from: Belg on September 23, 2009, 03:49:16 PM
Thanks Gordon! I had been following that one during construction but I had not seen it finished. Spence is the MAN! Just amazing.

Chuck ,

I saw it yesterday ( because I was at the show ), and it certainly was a fine piece of work . However , it didn't quite have the " used and abused" look that sets your work apart from everyone elses . It was one of the standout dioramas with more imagination used than most on offer . I did take some photos but haven't downloaded them yet so I haven't a clue how well they turned out . I don't expect them to be better than what has been posted .

Nick

This is the quote that let me to ask about the photos Nick. I saw that Marc has now posted a link to a 17 page photospread. Forgive me for asking but there is one tank that is half in excellent condition and half in derelict condition, I have never seen this before would there be text by the display explaining what the modeler is trying to portray? Sorry to run this into your thread Chuck but don't know to put all the info together elsewhere. Pat

Pat ,

To be honest I don't remember seeing the tank you describe as I would have taken some notice of it . I'll keep an eye out for more info .
  Any further talk ought be over on Marc's thread and leave Chuck mullion over his windows !

Nick

marc_reusser

Pat,

If the tank is on those pages, and If you can, send me a link, or copy paste the image in the euromiltaire thread,  and I will see if I can tell you more about it....I think I may know which one you mean...also, a nuber of those models were built by guys that post on MIG, and there is likely an SBS thread of them there.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Quote from: shropshire lad on September 23, 2009, 04:11:26 PM
Quote from: Belg on September 23, 2009, 03:49:16 PM

Chuck ,

Nick

Pat ,

To be honest I don't remember seeing the tank you describe as I would have taken some notice of it . I'll keep an eye out for more info .
  Any further talk ought be over on Marc's thread and leave Chuck mullion over his windows !

Nick

Yes for some reason Tanks and windows do not go together unless your blowing out the window in a battle scene.

On the other hand Chuck maybe you should give Mother Nature a hand on how to weather windows.  Most excellent.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Chuck Doan

Nice one Jerry!  Thanks Ken but I ain't gonna claim to have bested Ma Nature.

No  problem with some cross talk; I was wondering about that half and half tank too. I'll pop over to the other thread.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Chuck Doan

I haven't been doing much modeling lately, but I have been doing some more concrete experiments. This is a test for the front step. Not yet concrete ala Reusser, but I have to start somewhere!

Hydrocal
Arizona rock powder (thanks Jerry! (trains1941)
Woodland scenic ballast (fine and medium)
Water, of course
tap tap tap (bubble release)
Soda blast when dry
It cracked coming out of the forms, but no worries. Coloring tests next.

And of course, thanks to Ken Hamilton for the plaster/ballast idea from his diorama book!

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

Ken Hamilton

Yup....looks like a poured step to me.  And they look better when they break!
Looks great, Chuck

(PS: you're welcome)
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

finescalerr

That is disgustingly realistic! -- Russ

mobilgas

Chuck,   Turned out nice.....curious on how your going to weather the step......  In your mix you mention Arizona rock power?? was this something that jerry got on his own?       Craig

Chuck Doan

Thanks! Jerry was kind enough to send me some when I was last doing some cement work. Here is their website:

http://www.rrscenery.com/

He sent me some of the Ghost city concrete.

chester

Hot damn, nice. Can't wait to see the next step.

(sorry I had to)

marc_reusser

Very nice, like the texture of the aggregate/exposed areas. Overall coloring looks good almost as is......maybe just some very light washes and stains in some areas.

The guy from AZ Rock company is very nice. I have had good service from him.

What color/mix did you use? "Riverbottom"?

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

Amazing how we all like the busted stoop!
If it were done on our house we'd be pissed!
Looks like Chuck has nailed another one.
I have some samples waiting for trials for coloring on the foundations for the Corliss.
I think I'll wait and see what Chuck comes up with!
Some moss/geenery in that crack would be nice too?
-Marty

DaKra

Quote from: lab-dad on December 12, 2009, 11:28:18 AM
Amazing how we all like the busted stoop!
If it were done on our house we'd be pissed!
...-Marty

That's the magic of miniaturization.   The common things that are overlooked in 1/1 world, even things that are ugly, dirty or broken often develop a definite charm and appeal when shrunk down small.   The reduction in scale is all the "whimsy" a good model really needs to be interesting. 

Dave