• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Call me what you want , but don't call me mad

Started by shropshire lad, September 06, 2009, 04:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughboyModelworks

Beautiful work Nick. I'd venture to say that you have surpassed the apprentice stage.

Paul

shropshire lad

Quote from: Frederic Testard on March 03, 2010, 01:03:05 PM
QuoteYou are right and I thank my lucky stars daily that you were so generous with your time and knowledge.
Well, so, who must we congratulate, then, for your excellent work?

When Marty shows us some of his fine work then the answer to that question will be obvious ,

Nick

marc_reusser

Beautifully done Nick. The brickwork and coloring are spot-on and the finish and the dooers si lively.
You should be really happy and proud of these structures.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Philip Smith

17 shovels of sand, 1 bag mortar, water

viola!

looks nice

narrowgauger

Nick,

absolutely superb !

if it were not for the "in progress" crane structure the first pic with the green Duetz partially in the shot this would be indistinquishable from the real thing.

Very good stuff indeed.  Let me know the details of the pulley that you need and I will fabricate one for you with the greatest of pleasure.

Have fun and don't let living in England get you down

Bernard

Ray Dunakin

Wow! Very nice indeed! For a moment I thought I was looking at the real thing.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Chuck Doan

Very nice indeed. I like that discolouring at the bottom edge. Well worth the effort of brick x brick.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

shropshire lad

Many thanks for all the kind words , Chaps , especially the ones about the photography . As you know my photography is usually pretty crap so to actually almost fool a few of you to think that what you were looking at was the real thing must mean one of two things , either that my photographic abilities are improving , unlikely , or , more probable , you all need to book a visit to the opticians .

Marc ,

whilst I am generally pleased with what I have done I know there are bits that will need to be improved on when I do the next building . I know , all part of the learning curve .

When this project is done and dusted I think I will have a go at making a Lokschuppen ( loco shed ) in the " Ackel-stylee" using bricks , blocks and render to get the run down industrial look .

Russ ,

Thanks for your  unrestrained and effusive praise . You must have really scoured your dictionary this time . Ha , Ha .

Nick

Gordon Ferguson

As I mentioned before Nick this is great modelling ... the atmosphere is really captured and the piece has got a lovely tonal control of colour over the whole thing.

Are the locos scratch built and what are you using for the motor units and the rails/sleepers ?
Gordon

shropshire lad

Quote from: gfadvance on March 04, 2010, 11:34:10 AM
As I mentioned before Nick this is great modelling ... the atmosphere is really captured and the piece has got a lovely tonal control of colour over the whole thing.

Are the locos scratch built and what are you using for the motor units and the rails/sleepers ?

Gordon,

The locos are most certainly scratch built . But not by me . No these beauties are the product of Bernard Snoodyk ( Narrowgauger) who lives Down Under somewhere and are the whole reason I was able to get started in this scale in the first place . As regard what motor unit they have you will have to address that question to him as I don't get involved with the technical side of these things ! I leave it to much cleverer people than myself . Actually I do know , it is a 2020c Faulhaber gearhead motor .

The ties are On30 rustic ties from The States and the rail is what I had to hand . I hope that is not to vague.

Nick

marc_reusser

Quote from: shropshire lad on March 04, 2010, 12:48:12 PM

The ties are On30 rustic ties from The States.......

Nick

WTH are "On30 rustic ties"??....and what mfr is "The States"?

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Sharp saw blade: On30 ties

Blade gets dull: On30 "Rustic" ties
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on March 04, 2010, 01:44:35 PM
Quote from: shropshire lad on March 04, 2010, 12:48:12 PM

The ties are On30 rustic ties from The States.......

Nick

WTH are "On30 rustic ties"??....and what mfr is "The States"?

MR

Questions , questions . The ties , as far as I remember , came through Light Iron Digest . I just checked but the link from LID  seems to be broken which may mean they no longer do them .
Basically they are flat top and bottom and rounded on the sides. But if they are buried in the dirt like mine will be then the effect is somewhat lost . The reason for using them is that I've got two big bags to get rid of .

Nick

narrowgauger

Hi Gordon

in response to your question about Nick's Deutz loco's the following comments:

- the motors in these models are Faulhaber 2020C's with an integral 56:1 gearhead

- the motor output shaft is linked to the driven axle via a set of spur gears or a timing belt with a further gear reduction of 4.5:1 thus giving a final drive ratio of around 260:1 which in turn provides a scale maximum speed of 15kmh at 12V.

- final drive to the driven axle is by means of a cross helical gear set with a 1:1 ratio.

one of the major benefits of using the 2020 motor [apart from the superb operating characteristics] is the offset output shaft.  By rotating the motor on its housing it is possible to get perfect gear mesh or belt tension in the secondary drive.

a photo of a typical installation is attached.

Bernard