• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Call me what you want , but don't call me mad

Started by shropshire lad, September 06, 2009, 04:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Quote from: MrBrownstone on September 07, 2009, 01:33:28 AM
Hey Nick,

The Mortaring, Looks like a job for NEBS Mortar Mock Mix...  ;D

I am going to check that site and maybe order some myself. (always looking to try new things)

Mike

Mike ,

Your mortar mix sounds as if it could be what I need . I shall investigate further .

Just to make you aware , the brickmaker in Germany doesn't take creditcards , unfortunately . I ended up sending Euros through the post to him . Obviously , not an ideal  solution but the easiest , for me , in the long run .
   I shall be placing another order with him in the next few days for a further 2000 bricks . Just to give you an idea how far 1000 bricks goes , I don't expect to have enough to finish this building . What I'll do when I have laid them all is to measure the area that they cover .

Nick

MrBrownstone

Sounds Great Nick,

I'll be watching for those mesurements...  8)

as for the mortar mix... I now have 3 mortar mix dye colors available.(they dry just a slightly lighter in color)

Mike

TRAINS1941

Last week you tell me your going to start on a new brick project doing one brick at a time.  And already we are almost complete.
Great job and a very nice looking model.  Really looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

shropshire lad

Quote from: MrBrownstone on September 07, 2009, 03:10:40 PM
Sounds Great Nick,

I'll be watching for those mesurements...  8)

as for the mortar mix... I now have 3 mortar mix dye colors available.(they dry just a slightly lighter in color)

Mike

Mike ,

It'll be the middle one for me .  When I'm ready I'll put an order in ,

Nick

shropshire lad

Quote from: TRAINS1941 on September 08, 2009, 05:57:02 AM
Last week you tell me your going to start on a new brick project doing one brick at a time.  And already we are almost complete.
Great job and a very nice looking model.  Really looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Jerry

Jerry ,

You know me , when I say I'm going to do something ...  And no , I haven't forgotten what I promised all those months ago !

Nick

MrBrownstone

Hey Nick,

that sounds good too..

when you get some mesurements.. I'll make sure you get enough mix for the project (plus a some extra for you to try on other stuff.)(it will work exactly like mortar, you could build the wall with this stuff, instead of the washing method seeing as your building the walls brick by brick anyway)  ???

when you order just order the small set... I'll take care of the rest, I will include the NEBS Interactive Learning Series - Mortar Mock Mix CD too, and thanks... I can't wait to see how it will look..

We have also created a "NEBS Learning Series CD's / DVD's" (shhh.. Russell is working on a DVD Release)

Mike

shropshire lad

Here are a couple of progress shots . For the last couple of nights I have been concentrating on the chimney . There are just under two hundred and fifty brick in the chimney, although to me it doesn't look it .

I have about 488 bricks left which will do about another ten to twelve courses all round or finish one side . I need to get another order in to Germany quick .
   I think when I've finished the bricks I have I will do something else for a bit or I really might go mad .

Nick

shropshire lad

Chuck Doan

Adding the wood bits with all the nails and knotholes ought to put you over the edge. See you there!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

danpickard

Very cool Nick,
The reference pics from the last page were great as well.  The deutz/brickworks display is shaping into a very nicely detailed piece.  Very Marcel (which is a great thing, I love his style)...insanity can be very rewarding when viewed from the inside!

Speaking of Marcel, anyone know what he's been up to lately?  I think Jacq mentioned an exhibition with him shortly, but his site is one I frequent often for his updates and its been a bit quiet of late.

Dan

Ray Dunakin

Looking good!

I wonder how those bricks would hold up outdoors?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

MrBrownstone

Hey Nick,

Looking good there.... It don't look like 250... I agree... But it sure looks good!  ;D

Ray,  They probably hold up pretty good seeing as they are baked clay... they tell you more on the site http://www.miniaturziegel.de (but you have to translate it from german to english, unless you can read german  ;D)
(if you are using Internet Explorer 8 just right click on the webpage and select translate)

I like the brick they make.... makes me want to make some...  ;)

Mike

shropshire lad

Quote from: danpickard on September 11, 2009, 01:31:14 PM
Very cool Nick,
The reference pics from the last page were great as well.  The deutz/brickworks display is shaping into a very nicely detailed piece.  Very Marcel (which is a great thing, I love his style)...insanity can be very rewarding when viewed from the inside!

Speaking of Marcel, anyone know what he's been up to lately?  I think Jacq mentioned an exhibition with him shortly, but his site is one I frequent often for his updates and its been a bit quiet of late.

Dan

Dan ,

Marcel has been busy and he does post what he builds but more on the German forums . Try www.buntbahn.de and look under Anglagenbau &Zubehor and Modellbautechniken where you will find what he has been up to . I think he has been forced to slow down a bit as he has buggered his arm/hand up !
   He is like Chuck , travelling his own course in his own little world with impressive results .

Nick

jacq01

I see Marcel next weekend in Stromberg. He had too much work so modelling has slowed down a bit. He is experimenting in the scale cabbages as he send me a picture of one of his latest products. We'll see next week.

The bricklaying of your building is progressing nicely, no wonder with the excercise of the chimney behind you. As Chuck stated, you'll go over the edge with the timbers.

jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

danpickard

Nick,
Thanks for the other forum link...so I see Marcel is into "doing his own casting" of sorts! 

I guess an arm encased in fibreglass would make things a little difficult.

Dan