• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Call me what you want , but don't call me mad

Started by shropshire lad, September 06, 2009, 04:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james_coldicott

Nick,

very nice work as ever. The more I see the more I think I must do something with the bricks you gave me. I'm not sure about the base/ box but your picnic table could do with a coat of varnish!  ;)

I think chamfering the edges of the base would solve one problem but loose much of the aged patina of the old floorboard which I quite like- I notice that the top edge of the board at the back of the buildings is machined already so maybe it would even things up a bit. Just ordered a new (slightly better) camera- if I make it up to you next month I'll happily have a go at getting some photo's for you.

One question I haven't asked yet- what are your plans for figures, if any?

James

shropshire lad

James ,

I look forward to seeing something in brick by you in the not to distant future . As for the table . You are right . It is on the list of things I need to do . Number 999 on a list of 1000 !
    I will talk to you offline about any possible visits by you .

As for figures . I would like to have one or two on the dio but as of yet haven't found anything suitable . I shall go and have another look at MK35 s website to see if there is anything suitable .

Nick

Marc988

Hi Nick,

this project is really inspiring.
You might be wanting to check a figure MF called Wolf. They also have some very nice civil figures.

Marc B

danpickard

Hi Nick,
I like it, has a nice balance of neatness and decay.  It certainly makes a great little display diorama for some of Bernard's fine loco's too.  The cables leading from the overhead line are hanging off the side of the diorama...is that leading to the next piece of the display?  Sort of like two island diorama's with the cables connecting them?

Cheers,
Dan

shropshire lad

Dan ,

Correct . I intend standing a block of wood about 3" square with two small pieces of track ontop of it and two skip wagons on the track with the cable draped over them as it was with the prototype . I do not intend to paint the wagons or scenic the track . They will purely be there to show the viewers what happens .

Nick

lab-dad

Oh that will confuse the hell outta the great un washed!

Sorry I didnt remember the wheel and prototype from page one, it has just been so long since I saw it!
okay, really I was not paying attention, just looking at the pictures............

-Mj ;D

Chuck Doan

Looking great, Nick. Excellent little scene. That cable thing is very interesting, not what I was expecting at all.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

Nick,

A bit OT for this thread, but otherwise right up your alley....there is discussion on the MIG forum that the next challenge (winner gets to choose $200 Euros worth of Mig stuff)...will possibly be "vegetation".....so any subjet matter as long as it involves vegetation.....thought this would be a good one for you to take part in.

MR
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Nick, I think you can take Marc's suggestion as a back-handed compliment ;D
Gordon

danpickard

Packed yet?
Might need a SBS, bricks101, before and after shot, and a pretty picture of the prototype just to prove that its not a 4 wall casting from Tom Yorke with a nice paint job  ;D

Dan

shropshire lad

Quote from: danpickard on July 22, 2010, 02:14:16 AM
Packed yet?
Might need a SBS, bricks101, before and after shot, and a pretty picture of the prototype just to prove that its not a 4 wall casting from Tom Yorke with a nice paint job  ;D

Dan

Dan ,

These sheds could never be mistaken for Tom Yorke castings as there aren't any straight joints at the corners ! Meeeoow.
As for the SBS , they'll have to buy one of Russ's comics later on in the year for that .

Niock

finescalerr

Not only will you get the SBS but also a ton of photos. After all, it's a heck of a diorama ... despite the fact that Nick built it. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on July 22, 2010, 01:21:06 PM
Not only will you get the SBS but also a ton of photos. After all, it's a heck of a diorama ... despite the fact that Nick built it. -- Russ

Only here can you be praised and damned in the same sentence . And by someone who doesn't do modelling anymore .

I suppose I had better finish it ,

Nick

finescalerr

I still model. Just rather slowly. Well, excruciatingly slowly. Especially because my last attempt at building clapboard walls from cardstock revolted me and I have discarded them in sheer disgust and fear a second attempt might also be unsatisfactory. Of course I always could use wood. But that wood be cheating....

Then I had to crank out a book (and had no time at all for modeling). And then I turned my full attention to composing, arranging, and creating new music (something few of you have attempted) and have yet even to record the clarinet tracks since I first must familiarize myself with that which I have created (a loathsome and thankless task).

All the while I must administer these forums (Lat. fora) to protect youse guys from the Forces of Evil constantly lurking at our very (cyber) doors. And there's Family Stuff. And The Cats. And my Female Spouse. And errands, chores, and Other Detritus.

Is it any wonder, then, that Your Leader has limited modeling time?

So, just for that, young Nick, GO STAND IN THE CORNER. AGAIN.

ssuR

TRAINS1941

Quote from: finescalerr on July 23, 2010, 01:46:18 AM
I still model. Just rather slowly. Well, excruciatingly slowly. Especially because my last attempt at building clapboard walls from cardstock revolted me and I have discarded them in sheer disgust and fear a second attempt might also be unsatisfactory. Of course I always could use wood. But that wood be cheating....

Then I had to crank out a book (and had no time at all for modeling). And then I turned my full attention to composing, arranging, and creating new music (something few of you have attempted) and have yet even to record the clarinet tracks since I first must familiarize myself with that which I have created (a loathsome and thankless task).

All the while I must administer these forums (Lat. fora) to protect youse guys from the Forces of Evil constantly lurking at our very (cyber) doors. And there's Family Stuff. And The Cats. And my Female Spouse. And errands, chores, and Other Detritus.

Is it any wonder, then, that Your Leader has limited modeling time?

So, just for that, young Nick, GO STAND IN THE CORNER. AGAIN.

ssuR

I thought you only did books on "FINE MODELS"

What are we going to call this new one?? ;D

Nick I will join you in the corner!!!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin