• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Work in progress: Westinghouse boxcab electric

Started by Hauk, September 09, 2009, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danpickard

They're really nicely finished Haavard.  They have a beautiful blue metal patina pitted looking finish to them, and I particularly like the axle box covers.  Very clean work.  Thanks for the update.

Cheers,
Dan

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on December 28, 2011, 12:45:31 AM
You're too critical of your own work, Havaard.

Perhaps. But I like to point out things that might be improved upon, even if I am basically happy with the results.
As this is one of the very few forums were you can get constructive critisism, I try to encourage it.

But let there be no doubt about it, I am very happy with those trucks. I have dreamt about building stuff like that since I was a kid. A great milstone on the engine project, and a big inspiration to get the darn thing finished.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Hauk

Painting is definitively the last big hurdle in this project.
Truth is, I have already painted the model a couple of times, but unhappy with the results it was all washed off with laquer thinners. Thats the beauty of metal models, no risk of  dissolving the model!

Airbrushing is a very tricky issue in my book. I never get close enough to that "sweet spot" where the paint is going on really wet, very, very close to running.
Doing test pieces, I relax a bit more, and here is a piece where I almost nailed it:

Paint is Tamiya gloss acrylic paint thinned 1 part paint to 2 parts laquer thinner.  The roof has been given an dark brown oil paint & turpentine wash.
A bit more practicing, and I am ready to tackle the real thing!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

JohnP

Paint is Tamiya gloss acrylic paint thinned 1 part paint to 2 parts laquer thinner. 

Can acrylic paint be thinned with lacquer thinner?

Wonderful model so far!

John
John Palecki

Hauk

Quote from: JohnP on December 29, 2011, 12:10:30 PM
Paint is Tamiya gloss acrylic paint thinned 1 part paint to 2 parts laquer thinner. 

Can acrylic paint be thinned with lacquer thinner?

Wonderful model so far!

John

Thanks, John!
Tamiya acrylics works very well with laquer thinners. But this seems to be quite a controversial truth, I have seen some rather heated discussions online regarding this. I have never heard that you can thin any other brand of acrylics  with laquer thinners.

I first heard about using laquer thinners with Tamiya in Adam Wilders video on modulation.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

marc_reusser

It works, because Tamiya acrylics are not "true acrylics" as we think of them, in the sense of being water soluble paints like other/typical acrylics (you can't/shouldn't thin them with wate). Tamiya lacquer thinner actually is perfect for spraying them, because it is a bit less agressive than regular LT. I have though been able to get equally good results with their standard X-20A thinner. IMO, it dries a bit slower than than the LT.

I think you got a nice result with the gloss....I have actually found them to be a bit challenging to spray, compared to the matte finish.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Junior

Nice work Hauk! To avoid runs and other problems with the Tamiya X-paints I just use the XF-paints and finish with one or two coats of X-22 Clear and you have the same result as with the gloss paints and also all your ordinary range of colors to choose from.

Anders  :D

Hauk

Quote from: Junior on December 30, 2011, 07:28:14 AM
Nice work Hauk! To avoid runs and other problems with the Tamiya X-paints I just use the XF-paints and finish with one or two coats of X-22 Clear and you have the same result as with the gloss paints and also all your ordinary range of colors to choose from.

Anders  :D

I fear that you have a very good point... I also wonder if a semi-gloss finish would work. So maybe XF with some glaze added could work.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

Hauk

A little update on the painting. I am getting closer to mastering the Tamiya gloss paint in the airbrush. Not perfect yet, but passable for now. In the picture no weathering has been added except a burnt umber oilpaint in white spirits wash. More ruststains, maybe some rainstreaks to follow. Some washes on the trucks and overall dusting and the job should be done. Not mention couplers, glazing for the windows, headlight lenses and lighting system. Should be ready for summer service, though.
Critical comments welcomed.

Regards, Hauk
--

Design-HSB

Simply brilliant.
Have you already glazed windows?
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Hauk

Quote from: Design-HSB on January 29, 2012, 04:49:11 AM
Simply brilliant.
Have you already glazed windows?

Thanks! I have already cut the glazing for the sliding side windows. These are the hard onece, since the coverslips  have to fit within the etched frames. I tought about making the windows operable, but I think I will just leave the windows on the drivers side half-open (or half closed, depending on what sort of personality type you are...)

I wrote a litte essay on cutting coverslips in another thread.
Regards, Hauk
--

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

pwranta193

Holy Cats!!! That is looking beautiful Hauk... very subtle weathering so far, but your manufacturing process always leaves me stunned.  I'd have had to go forward with the results of your "test run", BTW, as I'm not sure I could have improved upon that result in gloss  ;D
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

lab-dad

Looks real right now!
Enjoyable thread.
Thanks for sharing.
Marty

finescalerr