• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Work in progress: Westinghouse boxcab electric

Started by Hauk, September 09, 2009, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on April 01, 2012, 12:25:47 PM
Adequate. -- Russ

Wot? Only adeqauate!?!
We are aiming for excellency here, so here is the second attempt.
First, a rerun of the (growl) adequate part:

For the second part I substituted the 0,6mm NS wire with 0,7mm brass. I chose a smaller nut size (0,8m compared to 1,0mm). Seems like the 0,8mm is actually  1.0 mm (wrench size).

Seriously, I felt the first attempt was not quite right, the loose fitting of the nut near the hose was especially annoying. The second is much more proportional, the size of the nuts was just too large compared to the airpipe. The first nut was in fact 0,2 mm too large compared to the prototype, and this was enough to make things look wrong in my opinion.  I know that this is nitpicking bordering on the meaningless, but it gives me a kick to see how far I can push it. And isn´t that what serious modelling is about in many ways?

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

lab-dad

Even better!
I find once I put pictures on here and I really look at them, then I see the flaws!
Have you tried reaming the threads from the nuts so you can use smaller nuts or larger rod?

-Marty

TRAINS1941

That is so cool.  Excellent work!!!!!

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Hauk

Quote from: lab-dad on April 02, 2012, 04:58:34 AM
Even better!
I find once I put pictures on here and I really look at them, then I see the flaws!
Have you tried reaming the threads from the nuts so you can use smaller nuts or larger rod?

-Marty

Macro photography is very unforgiving! The reason for all my detail images is not just to bore/entertain this forum´s readers, but also to check my work.

Regarding reaming, the smaller nuts are indeed reamed to fit on the rod. The nuts are correct, but the rod is slightly oversize. I did not have any 0,6 brass wire, so I used 0,7 mm. It was more important to have an all brass valve than to have a pipe exactly the right diameter. No matter how hard you try there are always compromises!

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

finescalerr

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on April 02, 2012, 11:48:58 AM
Most satisfactory. -- Russ

Well now we are talking!
Got all four done this evening. A full days work, it is incredible how long things take.
Next up: Glazing the windows and final weathering.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

Gordon Ferguson

Very neat work ................ and times 4 , impressive
Gordon

Malachi Constant

Beautiful work!  And, yes, it is amazing how much time those "little" details take ... but when done right (as you've done), they make such a remarkable difference.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Hauk

Quote from: Malachi Constant on April 02, 2012, 02:58:19 PM
Beautiful work!  And, yes, it is amazing how much time those "little" details take ... but when done right (as you've done), they make such a remarkable difference.  -- Dallas

Thanks to all for the positive feedback!

The ironic twist to this tale is that I suddenly realised that all the rolling stock that I probably will ever build has those valves.
So I should really have made a master and have the darn things casted in brass.

But it is great to give the good old hand/eye coordination a proper workout every once in a while!
Regards, Hauk
--

Ray Dunakin

Incredible work! I don't think I'd have that much patience.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Great job! I am always amazed!
The original model should be built about 2% larger, since the rubber mold shrinks. With a form of silicon about 0.5%.
On the other hand your 0.7mm wire will go a bit closer to 0.6 mm. :)
Frithjof

Hauk

Quote from: fspg2 on April 03, 2012, 01:33:40 AM
Great job! I am always amazed!
The original model should be built about 2% larger, since the rubber mold shrinks. With a form of silicon about 0.5%.
On the other hand your 0.7mm wire will go a bit closer to 0.6 mm. :)

When I made the master for the axleboxes with leaf springs, I allowed for 4% shrinkage, and that worked out pretty well.

I will probably make a casting of the valv/airhose, but I wonder if I should include the hose with the actual connecting hardware. Since there was several different implementations of this valve/hose, I will make a long, straight casting that can be bent into shape.

Anyone that have tried to bend cast brass? Is it too brittle to bend  into a curvatere like the one onmy hanbuilt parts?

From what I have seen, it is possible to cast brass in remarkably long and thin sections.

Regads, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

fspg2

Brass casting can be bent quite. I've just tried again. Even 2.5 mm can be bent, if a bit arduous!

Those parts from my G20 model ...years ago as I had built in scale 1:43,5.

Frithjof