• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Work in progress: Westinghouse boxcab electric

Started by Hauk, September 09, 2009, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Quote from: fspg2 on April 03, 2012, 06:25:11 AM
Brass casting can be bent quite. I've just tried again. Even 2.5 mm can be bent, if a bit arduous!

Thanks! Seems like it is quite posible to have the part cast straight, and then bend it to the final shape.

By the way, that airhose in the center of the picture seems like it sold have been used. Do you know if those castings are still available? Who manufactured them?

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

fspg2

Have a look at the online shop of Paul Petau: click

He is the producer of this brake clutch.

Also, take a look at his other parts:

Original site in German (online shop): click here and homepage: here

English translation (online shop):click here
Norwegian translation (online shop):click here
Frithjof

Hauk

Quote from: fspg2 on April 03, 2012, 07:43:38 AM
Have a look at the online shop of Paul Petau

Thanks a lot for the links. Many interesting parts.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

marc_reusser

Hauk,

The air hose assemblies are stunning....more jewlery than model.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Hauk

Its official: This is no longer a work in progress!

Yesterday I added the final details to the engine, the whistles.
So now I consider this model done.

I may add a little more weathering when I  am confident about my scenery colors. And who knows, may I will install a decoder some day. But for now, its *done*.

This must have been one the steepes learning curve I have ever travelled. When I started this project, I had zero metal working skills, I could hardly solder a feeder wire to a rail. My painting skills are still not that great, but for a first brass model it aint all that bad.

It took three generations of etchings to get it right. There are still some glitches, but I think it is virtually impossible to get a set of etchings with several hundred parts 100% correct.

The pantograph almost sank the project.  I do not looking forward to  make another one, but my next project have two of the darn things!

Thanks for all the encouragement,  the feedback I have gotten here really helped to keep me going!

Some snapshots until the company photographer gets the delivery photos done:

Bring on the ASEA-engine!

Best regards,
Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

finescalerr

marc_reusser

I think this is a beautiful build. This has been an amazing project to follow. The attention to detail, and the quality of craftsmanship are just outstanding. I may never use (or have the skill for) most of the methods and techniques you have shown and shared, yet I  have find them to be an invaluable source information..... a truly enjoyable educational expierence. ...and, both humbling and inspirational.  Thank you.

You should be extremely proud of this build.

Now you better get started on that article for Russ mag ;)

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

W.P. Rayner

I agree with what Russ and Marc have said... beautiful build Hauk. I can't imagine any part of it that's lacking in any way. Well done...

Paul

artizen

Nice to get out of your comfort zone with a steep learning curve and produce something as special as this!

Feels good doesn't it?
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Ray Dunakin

Fantastic! And I'm completely gob-smacked by the fact that you had no previous metal-working experience. The final product looks like the work of a pro!

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

EZnKY

Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

BKLN

Excellent! The weathering is really nice. But your attention to the technical details is even more remarkable!

Andi Little

Most excellent ............... it certainly carries the "Look"!

The weathering is subtle - and spot on [the headlight could do with a bit of light tarnishing??] and it passes the "macro test" very well. You know the one where you think you've done real good and then you get the photo's back!!!

Marvellous stuff.
KBO..................... Andi.

Hauk

Thanks a lot for the kind words!
I have said it before, but it is the "peer review" you get on a forum like this that counts. Most people are clueless when it comes to scale modelling. And even if it is nice that friends and family are somewhat impressed, it really does not count for much.

And a quite unique thing with this board is that people actually dare to critisise each other.  I hope that this will continue, as there is always room for improvement. I certainly hope to improve on my painting and weathering skills, for instance.

On this model I chickened out on the weathering, the prototype engine was way more battered and dirty. But I did not trust my skills, and I would have hated screwing up so close to the finish line! So when my skills have improved, I will probably go back and weather it more. By then I may also have sorted out the colors I am going to use for my scenery. Not that I will have an layout anytime soon, but I have a couple of dioramas on the way.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

Junior

Fantastic work Hauk :o! Hope to see it live AGAIN at the Norra Sandby show in October.

Anders