• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Work in progress: Westinghouse boxcab electric

Started by Hauk, September 09, 2009, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gill

Hauk, With that level of skill it's not "showing off", it's demonstrating.

finescalerr

If you keep turning out work of that quality, please continue. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

A little progress on the trucks/boggies. I am quite pleased with the slightly scruffy results. In my opinion, the precision of CNC combined with my imperfect craftsmanship suits the engineering of a prototype built just after 1900.

IMG_3012.jpeg
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I see no obvious imperfection. Paint will hide whatever you see and the result will be superb. -- Russ

Bernhard

I completely agree with Russ. I don't see any imperfection either.

Bernhard

Hauk

What I really enjoy about this forum is that it is frequented by true Gentlemen!

But it is not coquetry that I point out these deficiencies; they are, of course, entirely real. If we take the pictures of the parts straight from the milling machine, we can clearly see that there are some extra drill holes and rough edges on the parts (The centering plates for the bolsters) to the far left. In the picture of the finished axle box with the leaf springs and hangers, it is quite evident that the spring hanger rods are not 100% parallel. This is due in part to discrepancies between critical dimensions on etched parts versus cast parts, some limitatations to the relatively cheap CNC-router but most importantly, the limitations of my craftmanship. Since perfection is never achievable for any of us (with possible exception for Chuck Doan), the question is whether our best is good enough.

Personally, I formulate the question as follows: When I do my best, is the result good enough to justify continuing with this?

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

fspg2

Hello Hauk,

It's always nice to marvel at your little works of art.

I assume that each of us can achieve the "perfection" we are trying to achieve.
Perfect is relative. We can usually only be as good as our abilities and possibilities allow at the time.
If you do your best today, it doesn't mean that you won't be even better tomorrow.
We learn from each other and try to adapt many things, sometimes more and sometimes less successfully.
So please let us continue to participate in the many continuations of your perfect buildings so far!!!
Frithjof

Bill Gill

These are questions I wrangle with all the time. Is my modeling improving? Is it good enough to share? While I'll always feel like my modeling is mediocre, the support from the members of this forum has encouraged me to keep at it.

finescalerr

At some point I arrived at a philosophy that works for me: I realized that everything I've produced was the best I could do UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES.

With books, magazines, and music there was never a chance to do it again. I have rebuilt some models, though. While they still may be less than absolutely perfect, they are the best I could do. Oh, well ....

Russ

Bernhard

I think perfection is one thing, having fun building is the other important aspect. I always try my best, but I know that my models are not perfect. But I've never let that spoil my enjoyment of the hobby so far.

Bernhard

Sami

What my painting teacher said at the school of fine art: we always think that what others do is better.
Which means that what we build seems imperfect to us.
What I like about this forum is that we all like the work well done and know how to question ourselves taking into account the advice of others.
That is what makes us progress.

Hauk

An update so small you will be excused for calling it a bump.
Work on the cosmetic trucks for the scene continues. Making wheelsets are so much easier when ypu know they will never be used on an operating engine!
The 3D printed gears are designed from photos of the prototype, I used an online gear designing app for getting the correct pitch and size.

boggier_verksted_w.jpg

Lesson learned when trying to blacken the brass wheel centers: Do NOT use Birchwood Casey Aluminium Blackening anywhere near mild steel. The corrosion is terrible, and the look of the finish horrible. And the steel keeps corriding after trying to neutralize the process.
Regards, Hauk
--

finescalerr

Birchwood Casey aside, the truck looks terrific. == Russ