• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Work in progress: Westinghouse boxcab electric

Started by Hauk, September 09, 2009, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chester

I'm constantly looking for updates on this project and in awe of the level of skill.

Hauk

Just  a little note to say that I am working quite a lot on my boxcabs, despite very few updates lately.

This is  mostly due to the fact that I am building two engines  and at least three panographs simultaneously. That would result in a boring stream of quite similiar postings if every visit to the workshop should result in a posting

But I broke some new ground yesterday, albeit not a big one.

Handles for the sliding doors was made from 0,5mm brass wire and some brass rivets. I really enjoy the fact that the brass is soft enough to be pressed flat with a pair of pliers. That maks it possible to get that flat area I needed to drill holes for the mounting rivets.

The little bugger looks like this:

4 handles and a spare took most of a suprisingly enjoyable evening.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Chuck Doan

Amazing! Looks like something I would drop into oblivion.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Wow, that's tiny!

How do you drill such small holes in brass?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on November 22, 2010, 11:15:06 AM
Wow, that's tiny!

How do you drill such small holes in brass?

I start by punching the spot to be drilled, or rather press an indent in the metal with a pencil scriber. This is done on a steel surface to avoid deformation of the thin metal. For drilling I use a pin-vise. The trick is to be patient and not apply to much pressure. I broke two drills just for this simple job...

Regards, Hawx.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Hauk

I sometimes loose track of what I have posted when and where on the great InterWeb, but here is the latest image of the engine anyway:

Hope to show some more progress soon!

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

finescalerr

Hauk

Quote from: Hauk on February 02, 2011, 01:22:04 AM

Hope to show some more progress soon!

Regards, Hauk

You can always hope...

But here is the latest progress shot. The finished pantograph:

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

Ray Dunakin

That's some incredible miniature engineering!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Design-HSB

Hi Hauk,

a great job, it was worth it for me, look at the thread again to all.

Songs I've found nothing to indicate the scale or read about it.

I am constructing my model so well on the PC and use a CNC milling and etching.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Hauk

Quote from: Design-HSB on October 22, 2011, 02:10:19 AM
Hi Hauk,

a great job, it was worth it for me, look at the thread again to all.

Songs I've found nothing to indicate the scale or read about it.

Thanks for the thumbs up!

I am sorry for not stating the scale on the glorified tincan.
It is a 0m model. Wich means it is built to 1/45 scale and 22,2 mm gauge.

Painting is next up, and I am in the process of testing different primers and paints. Scary stuff on so many levels...

The prototype ran on a short mining railroad in the middle of Norway. I have written an article about the railroad:
http://www.folk-rovere.org/mj/tb_artikkel_eng.php

Regards Hauk.

Regards, Hauk
--

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Hauk

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 22, 2011, 03:48:17 AM
That is simply beautiful. Real art.

Thanks!
This is one of the few forums I really care about what feedback I get. The feedback from you guys is an important contribution to getting this project into gear again after a long pause.

And testing of cleaning fluids, primers and paint is progressing quite nicely. But pieces of scrap brass scrubbed with various chemicals and covered with silly numbers of primers and paints aint exactly much to look at. But the conclusions will be boiled down into some postings that hopefully  will be useful for others.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Design-HSB

Quote from: Hauk on October 22, 2011, 02:46:45 AM
It is a 0m model. Wich means it is built to 1/45 scale and 22,2 mm gauge.
Hi Hauk,
g
Thank you.
I could not believe that your model is really so small, so I had to ask.

Simply amazing and very interesting for me also the link to your page.

I'm building so well on the model of a coal mine, but exactly twice as large.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal