• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Death Valley Monorail

Started by Chuck Doan, September 28, 2009, 07:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Ever since Adrian Garner wrote his articles on the American Magnesium monorail in the Jan/Feb. and Mar/April 2008 Gazettes, I have had a burr under my saddle to build one of the unique locomotives. Most of mine entrepreneur Thomas Wright's locomotives were built around Fordson tractors, and as I still have a 1/16th scale die-cast Fordson,  it seems a natural thing to do. After reviewing the very few existing photos, I have decided to build one of the (supposedly) chain driven "second generation" locomotives, circa 1924. For now, I am modeling the loco in a 3D solid modeling program (Solidworks). If I can bring myself to do another die-cast makeover, I may build a "real-D" model. If I do that, I am hoping to maybe get some of the monorail parts "3D printed" from my solid models, which will save a lot of time.

The biggest problem is the lack of clear photos of the locos. Most pictures are of poor quality, and as all  show loaded locomotives, the timbers for track repair and the bags of Epsom salts obscure important details. There are several of Thomas Wright's patent illustrations available, but while they show his mechanical concepts, there is no sure way to know which ideas he used, or how they were actually implemented. Apparently details differed from loco to loco (there were 4 second gen units) and undoubtedly a good deal of restless tinkering went on as well, as happens to many inventors. Thus there will be a need for a lot of creative interpretation and modelers' license. I hope to be able to use details of other Fordson loco designs to help fill in some of the basic DNA gaps, but I am on my own for most of it.

I have begun the locomotive frame and a section of the amazing wooden track. I am using the dual chain drive design outlined in one of the Wright patents. Next I have to begin figuring the couplers, the mounting of the cut-down 30 gal. sanders, brakes, and the balancing side rollers. I did a very elementary, but dimensionally correct solid model of the Danbury Mint Fordson to check mounting and clearances. I am planning the actual (static) model around this tractor, and the Delrin chain from Servo-link.

Mr. Wright's monorail was a wonderful, improbable and unique contraption.  One of his locomotives would make a terrific large scale model. For me, time will tell if a real model gets built. Of course if I do, some new photos will come to light just after I finish it clearly showing how far off I was! But ain't that always the way?

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

jacq01

you have done already the most important work.............Together with the selection of materials you will use.

Why don't you put up questions for photo's and info in different fora and magazines.

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Ken Hamilton

Jacq's right, Chuck.  It looks like most of the heavy lifting is already done. 
Your drawings seem feasible and the thing looks like it could really work.

Anyone else would knock this out in no-time.  Fortunately for us, though, you'll
"Doan" the beejeebers out of this and give us something to look at for months.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.............
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

TRAINS1941

Chuck

Is this going to be called what I did on my "Winter Vacation"??

Yes you have already done the foot work, can't wait for the first pictures.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

mobilgas

Chuck,  this would make into a cool model!!  Were these used for mineing only??  Craig

RoughboyModelworks

Very cool project Chuck... I'm looking forward to watching this as it comes together. Nice renderings, btw...

Paul

Hauk

That would be the perfect prototype for a "wow, thats something different!" project.
A 1/16 *working* model would be totally cool.  Fitting a driving mechanism would be a challenge, but not impossible, me thinks. How big is a Fordson engine block in 1/16, by the way? Faulhaber motors are small & strong, and my first thought is that it might be possible to machine a hole in the block that a little Faulhaber would fit snugly inside. If you use an dual-axle motor you can make the fan spin as well!

Dont get me wrong, a static model in CD quality would be a joy to behold!

-HÃ¥vard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

marc_reusser

Wooo...just incredible. Glad to see you tackle this. I know it's been gnawing at you for some time.  ;)

I really look forward to your SBS....can you finish it by 2013?  ;)

Nice 3D modeling BTW.....almost makes me want to drag out my 1/48 Mackenzie Fordson and build one.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Marc,

Quotecan you finish it by 2013?
of course, same as all the unfinished stuff you are putting on the contest tables to sweep the pot.

That is reason why I am coming to LA in 2013   ;D ;D ;D ;D
     This also gives plenty of time to plan the transport of the mill module.  I started inquiring what is needed to have this module
     with me as luggage as it weight is less than 30 lbs.

Jacq
I am what I remember.

Chuck Doan

Thanks, I am glad to at least be making the plan-Marc is right; this one has been bugging me. Craig, this was used to haul Magnesium salt. They piled sacks of it on the "running boards". The whole enterprise only lasted about 4 years.

Hauk, I am certain a rolling model could be built. The tractor is heavy and I think it would track well. There is no room inside the die cast body for a motor and a crossbox to the axle. The real problem is power pickup. I was thinking a powered trailer of some sort could work, using batteries and RC control. There is only one rail, and I couldn't bear to do something weird to the wooden side tracks for power. But my experience with making things run is not so hot. The other challenge would be building a lot of that track...lots of work, although I can get the wood in the correct sizes for 1/16th. The likely killer is that I would need a figure if it was running...bleh! A big frozen wax figure in death valley? I don't think so.

Solidworks is a great tool for something like this. Especially if I can get some parts made directly from my files. Yesterday I downloaded several solid models of springs for the side rollers from a spring company. I can then buy those springs and use them on the actual model. There are still a lot of things to figure out before I start building. Kind of like Gordon's loco project from one photo...mysteries to be solved.
And yes, Ken, months of fun ahead if I'm lucky. 2013 though, jeez it's just around the corner!

Ray Dunakin

Very cool project! I've always been intrigued by those monorails.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

jacq01

QuoteThe real problem is power pickup.

You can use the side guide rails as pick ups, a brass / nickle-silver strip each side with 2 contact strips each side. Use Roughboy's technique to hide the wireslike he did in the shay's footboard's and of it goes You can use the 8mm or 10 mm dia Faulhaber. Strong enough ....even with planetary gearbox integrated. 

Jacq
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

.....even easier....just do RC...at this scale a controller/receiver unit can easily be hidden in the loco or a trailing car. Same with the battery....some of the small RC cars use batteries the size of those in our cell phone. Easy to hide.....could even hide the stuff in a load of wood or salt bags.  Why fuss with electrical connections when not necessary. Makes the trackwork building a no brainer as well.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

jacq01

Marc,

yes, that is a very good suggestion.  It is than possible to use even smaller motors than the 8mm faulhaber.

http://www.mikroantriebe.de   has some nice stuff.  motors, battery packs, receivers, servos etc etc.
   http://www.microtrucks.de     has some nice samples of 1:67 trucks.
   http://www.h0-rc-modellbau.de/fahrzeuge/H0/omega2002/index.htm a 1:87 car

Pity all is in german.

Jacq
I am what I remember.