• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Death Valley Monorail

Started by Chuck Doan, September 28, 2009, 07:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: Chuck Doan on September 29, 2009, 09:47:56 AM
The likely killer is that I would need a figure if it was running...bleh! A big frozen wax figure in death valley? I don't think so.

I'm with you Chuck... keep it static.

Paul

Chuck Doan

Got the couplers figured out and part of the sanders based on a new pic I found. Still need to figure out the brakes and the balance rollers. I am trying to keep things to standard material sizes in case the 3D printing idea doesnt pan out.

A working model will reqire different materials and skills. Lot's of excellent machinists here, but not me. So, it will likely be a static model if I actually build it. But I do think an RC powered model would work in this scale.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

You could power even a static model by hiding a CO2 cartridge in the toolbox behind the driver's seat ....  -- Russ

(I am SUCH a nincompoop!)

Chuck Doan

Who let Russ out of the corner?

Don't worry, if it starts to go badly, this sucker will FLY! (At least until it hits the wall)
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

John McGuyer

I vote for making it run.

John

RoughboyModelworks

Russ, go back to the corner...

Paul

mobilgas

how about makeing it run with sound.     Craig

marc_reusser

Chuck,

Just a question of curiosity. On the prototype, did they actually notch/shape the side an end 'c' channels into each other like that?  Sorry...just seems a bit odd..and like a lot of work for the type of contraption this was....and just not a detail I have seen very often.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Hauk

Quote from: Chuck Doan on October 01, 2009, 10:47:49 AM

A working model will reqire different materials and skills. Lot's of excellent machinists here, but not me. So, it will likely be a static model if I actually build it. But I do think an RC powered model would work in this scale.

It is too easy to project your own preferences onto others projects, I pledge guilty to that on several occasions.

A couple of questions on the latest renderings:
You have changed from barrels to square boxes and from curved endbeams to straight ones. Is this due to finding new documentation?
Personally (here we go again!) I find the original renderings more appealing.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

MrBrownstone

Hey Guy's,

How did they run that thing anyway? ... I mean did they have to load it evenly on both sides to keep it level... It sure is a cool project though...

Mike

Chuck Doan

Marc, I have a good end shot of one of the cars that has that notching. The frames were all bolted together; I guess that is how they got the channels to nest together. Don't know why they didn't just miter the ends.

Hauk, I am trying to narrow down one of the specific engines. I recently found a better pic of the square ended unit. I didn't understand the round ends...don't know why they would do that since all the cars were square or flat ended, and the couplers (ex LARY) had long shanks. I am guessing that all were built flat ended and they may have added the round end to support the round sander. If I find a better shot of those types, I could change my mind. Nice thing about a solid model...no glued parts to break apart for changes!

Mike, they definitely needed to balance the load.  It's one of the weaknesses of this kind of system.The whole thing didn't work very well, but full marks for effort.

Here is a link to a great film of the one in Ireland. Thomas Wright directly copied the concept, but rendered it in wood with internal combustion power. they also had balancing issues.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=11629

Chuck Doan

I put in simple "chains" that match the Servo-link dimensions so I can check clearances to other items.  Things are getting crowded! Not sure how the drivers kept their pant legs out of the chains. This drive is based on a Wright patent, but I have no photo proof it was actually implemented this way. I also have no idea of the correct sprocket diameters, and have based the sizes on similar small loco drives. Not shown are some screw tensioners that pushed on the axle pillow blocks to adjust the chains (also based on patent drawings)

I have also started the brake that pressed down on the rail top.

finescalerr

Gee, I bet that steering wheel got a lot of use. -- Russ

mobilgas

The video link was very interesting :o  they came up with some cool [stuff] back then didnt they !!! Wish i had a time machine ::)  Craig  Mich

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: Chuck Doan on October 02, 2009, 09:44:34 AM
Things are getting crowded! Not sure how the drivers kept their pant legs out of the chains.

Looks like a job for bicycle clips and steel-toed boots, or at the very least some heavy duty wellies. I'm thinking OSHA might have had an issue or two with this contraption... Think of the steering wheel as a life-line, to be grasped with white knuckles. I wonder if the shortest straw got to drive it... ;)

Paul