• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Death Valley Monorail

Started by Chuck Doan, September 28, 2009, 07:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Thanks for those Mike! I think I will do the one in your top pic. I did make a quick solid model of an umbrella, just haven't put it in yet. I also found a distant pic showing a full length canopy of some sort on one of them.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

MrBrownstone

Hey Chuck,

Glad to hear they were of use for you...

I like the top photo scene better also...

BTW thanks I am enjoying this project...

Mike

Chuck Doan

I have pretty much finalized my design (yeah, right). This is the version seen in the vintage photo at the start of the topic, and in the top canyon shot Mike provided. Kind of a "work truck" for hauling construction supplies when they were building the line. I found a 1923 Popular Science article that had a tiny, but wider crop of that first photo showing a front sander. The drive is pure conjecture, but hopefully plausible and will have to do unless I find new information. I added a headlight because I am a model railroader and we love to adorn our critters. At least it is of proper vintage. There will also be chains attached to the U bolts, but no antlers.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

jacq01

Chuck,

fantastic CAD work. I can't wait to see this as model.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

TRAINS1941

Quote from: jacq01 on October 28, 2009, 08:40:15 AM

Chuck,

fantastic CAD work. I can't wait to see this as model.

Jacq

Double ditto on what Jacq said.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

MrBrownstone

Hey Chuck,

It is looking excellent....  ;)

Now to see it come to life is going to be a treat.. Thanks for updating Us...

Mike

marc_reusser

Neat new pic, and beutiful CAD rendition.

I noticed you have changed the design from the one with the steel 'I' sections to hold up the loading arms to this one. I wonder if this was an earlier version used during the construction of the operation, and functioned better for hauling lumber and such (due to the binders holding the load in place), and the 'I' beam model a later version because it was able to provide a trough/bin into which to load the salt bags and other supplies.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

That is the same conclusion I have reached. The I beams came later, I am sure. I can always update if my interest holds!

There are so many similarities to the Lartigue patents (like the I beams), I am sure Wright just changed some things and got his own patents. Too many coincidents for parallel development.

The later version:

Ken Hamilton

This is just so darn cool....
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

narrowgauger

Hi Guys

Chuck great design studies & wonderful basis for construction.

excellent true roller chain available from Precision Scale Model Engineering [ psme@psmescale.com ] catalogue number MRC-1475  piced at $3,75 per inch with a minimum 6 inch order.  also availabe a range of sprockets to suit this 3.75mm pictch chain.  However these are in limited sizes only and easy to fabricate using a simple mill / lathe & division head.

I have used this chain many times with excellent results.  Finer true chain is available from 2 Japanese sources, but at very [I mean exhorbitant] cost.

Chuck to power your model I would use a 8mm Faulhaber with a 144;1 gearhead forming the spine over which the contours of the Fordson gearbox could be formed with epoxy putty encapsulating the motor assembly.  I have done this also by extending the motor tube further forward and building up the "engine / Cylinder barrels" on top of this tube simulating the diff/gearbox/engine unit used in the Fordson.

you might also look at Lemo-Solar part number MC1016  (46.00 Euro) (Motor / Transfer box assembly) in the same way.  This unit is normally used in HO (1:87) road truck power unit.  again it would be relatively easy to develop the Fordson profile over the motor & transfer box using epoxy putty.

hope this helps
have fun

Bernard

h

Chuck Doan

Thanks! Thanks Bernard for that info! I will look into that chain for sure.

I modelled a quick car to see what a "train" would look like. Most pictures show only one car in tow. It needs a wood plank seat for the brakeman, and an umbrella.

finescalerr

Chuck, you are almost finished with the 3-D design and can view the train from any angle. It is highly detailed and looks great. Seems as though actually building it would be almost an anticlimax! -- Russ

Chuck Doan

If I learn how to do some photo-realistic surface rendering, I will go no further. 

MrBrownstone

Hey Chuck,

Seems as though actually building it would be almost an anticlimax! -- Russ

I would have to agree with Russ....

Also why would you want to add the photo-realisim textures to a mechanical drawing... when you can make the Realalistic Model (and these are finest designs too, personally I would keep them as mechanical and display them with the finished model....Save the climax for the model  IMO)

Mike