• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

first picture post 1930's mobil gas station

Started by mobilgas, September 28, 2009, 03:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobilgas

Heres some info on the pop machines. the one in primer is a ICY-O machine Inc. of charlotte north carolina. look's like a early washing machine. strange looking to say the least. The large crank handle on top, when turned, allowed the customer to view the cold soda's. this cooler is filled with ice and water and the lower door is for empty bottles.  im going to make this one pepsi. produced Mid 20's.  The Coke machine is what they call the Clascock Standard. these cooler's had room underneath to store four wooden cases of Coke. Had to add ice produced late 20's-30's  modeled these machines of balsa wood..brass..plastic..and used pictures and orig specifications.  these will sit outside the gas station one buy the front door and the other pushed to the side not working??  Craig    Mich

Chuck Doan

Those are neat loooking! What scale is that?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

mobilgas

Chuck,  the scale is 1/25  would that be 1/2 inch?  I wanted years ago to do something bigger than on3 that i was modeling, i had a bunch of 1/25 plastic car models of old fords from the 20's and 30's that i wanted to do something with and being im a OLD GAS STATION nut what better combination!! .....i joined this great forum wanting to get the old spark back and try to finish this project...it's been sitting almost 15 YEARS   :o :o ill try to post some more pictures if you guys want to see them?  Craig  Mich

Chuck Doan

Please do! 1/24th, 1/25th, 1/2" is all pretty much the same.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

TRAINS1941

Nice looking machines.  Yes please post your work, were always looking for new blood!! ;D

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

Craig,

Very cool subjects and models......I really look forward to seeing more of your work.

For starters, re. photo resizing on the computer...are you using a MAC or PC?......if using a PC, and your running the more recent Office software, you should have a program called "Microsoft Office Picture Manager", or another called "Microsoft Image Composer"........

I can't help with the MAC....

Also....your digital camera, should have come with a CD, that haso some kind of "photo program" on it....like Nikon Image, Picture Project, or Kodak Image Composer, etc.

If you have none of the above....I am sure there are some free programs out there on the web.....or at the very least something downloadable from Microsoft...and/or from whatever company makes your camera.

If we know where you stand with the software, someone here can probably help you with the issue to some extent.

Another very simple solution would be to post the images to an online photo storage site like Fotki http://www.fotki.com/us/en/...there your images are automaticaly sized inta a small, med, large, and original format....you can then insert/link the med size (which should be/end up around 600-800 in width) directly here using METHOD #1 found in the tutorial on inserting images in posts found here in the forum at http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=3.0.......if using this method, you will not need to worry about the image byte size issue you are having....however it is advisable too keep the max dimension between 600-800 pix, because otherwise it will slow load time, and will force the readers to scroll sideways to see the entire image.

HTH.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mobilgas

work bench ..... this is one bench that i started years ago and never did finish it, needs a whole lot more detail :-[   1/25 scale  Craig

Chuck Doan

Craig, do you have a plan of your project? Just curious how big it will be and what it might look like. 

lab-dad

Craig,
Neat stuff!
Keep posting!
One suggestion;
Use a piece of posterboard under and curving up behind the model.
-Marty

mobilgas

compressor for gas station.  this is a R and D unique kit.  there white metal and good detail, i really like there stuff.

mobilgas

Quote from: marc_reusser on September 29, 2009, 12:40:58 AM
Craig,

Very cool subjects and models......I really look forward to seeing more of your work.

For starters, re. photo resizing on the computer...are you using a MAC or PC?......if using a PC, and your running the more recent Office software, you should have a program called "Microsoft Office Picture Manager", or another called "Microsoft Image Composer"........

I can't help with the MAC....

Also....your digital camera, should have come with a CD, that haso some kind of "photo program" on it....like Nikon Image, Picture Project, or Kodak Image Composer, etc.

If you have none of the above....I am sure there are some free programs out there on the web.....or at the very least something downloadable from Microsoft...and/or from whatever company makes your camera.

If we know where you stand with the software, someone here can probably help you with the issue to some extent.

Another very simple solution would be to post the images to an online photo storage site like Fotki http://www.fotki.com/us/en/...there your images are automaticaly sized inta a small, med, large, and original format....you can then insert/link the med size (which should be/end up around 600-800 in width) directly here using METHOD #1 found in the tutorial on inserting images in posts found here in the forum at http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=3.0.......if using this method, you will not need to worry about the image byte size issue you are having....however it is advisable too keep the max dimension between 600-800 pix, because otherwise it will slow load time, and will force the readers to scroll sideways to see the entire image.

HTH.

Marc
Marc,  i have a PC.  i had my friend come over today and he downloaded Adobe Photoshop for me, he posted a couple more PIC'S  for me now, ill have to get used to working with this.  i dont want to go to another site to post pictures i want to do it from my computer. plus i want to learn how to change the setting on my camera's i have a FUJIFILM 10.0 mega pixels that will only go down to 03M and thats still to big to post. My sony Cybershot is 7.2 megapixels and this might do it? Ill have to play around with it.   Old Dog trying to learn new trick's   Craig

Chuck Doan

Is that the R and D uniques compressor or a scratchbuild? Looks good!

mobilgas

Chuck,  oooh yea  i got a plan ::) nothing on paper... i like to work off old PHOTO"S ,i have a picture in my mind of what i want it to look like and once i get down the size i want to build the model, i just start building wall"s and go from there if it looks good as it's comeing together i just push on. What i have built now, the gas station with office and garage area, will be 20-inchs wide. The depth of the garage or service area is 10 1/2 inchs, the office is 8 inch's depth. With the over hang? added to the office that will be 15 inch's. It"s going to be BIG once its on the board dont know the total size yet, but with the dirt road in front and tow truck outside and all the details you have to add?? The overhang if thats the right word to use will be were the cars drive under and get Gas. and were the Gas Pumps are under.   Ill try to set this all up on a board and Post some picture's and then you will get a better idea of what it look"s like, and what kind of look that im after. The setting will be in the 1930"s and the company Selling Gas will be THE FLYING RED HORSE...mobil  what else??? only the best.  Craig  Mich

Ray Dunakin

Nice stuff, especially those early Coke machines -- very different!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

mobilgas

Ray,   thanks.... glad you enjoyed them. it is kind of out in left field ::) i got  alot more weird stuff to model alot of the old gas stations  had alot of unusal advertiseing stuff ,the owner"s always tryed to get more money out of your [pocket] other than a gas sale, when you pulled up for gas.    Craig