• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A dilly of a signal

Started by Scratchman, February 23, 2007, 10:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

A dilly of a signal - Oct. 63 Model Railroader

1/2" scale built mostly out of basswood, I used a jig to help with the stairs and cut the taper on the post with a table saw.

Scratchman
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

marc_reusser

Gordon,

Looks great!...really wonderful character. The coloring looks very realistic. Is it possible to post a detail image of the left end lower portion of the signal post and platform. I would like to see what you did on the weathering and detailing.

Not a negative comment as to the work....just a suggestion/observation:  I really do think the tower looks beautiful....however, it really is hard to appreciate the detailing and painting, because the photos are somewhat pixelated/stair-stepped.  It looks like a problem with prepping/manipulating them for them for the web. Is there any way to correct this, as it would bereally nice to see these in a better quality...not meaning larger....just not clearer.

Is there a prototype you modeled this tower after?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Scratchman

Marc,

I'm going to rework it and add some weathering then I'll re-shoot the photos and post them here middle of next week. 

The plans came from October 1963 Model Railroader.  The article states, "Such a signal, erected in 1854, is still in use at Willimantic, Conn.  It is here that the New Haven's line from Hartford to Pomfret crosses the Central Vermont Ry, line from East New London to Bratleboro, Vt.  A 1917 time table listed 26 daily passenger trains:  22 on the New Haven and 4 on the CB.  In addition, thre were about 10 t0 12 freight trains daily."

Scratchman

Scratchman

Marc,
This tower was built a few years ago and the weathering is a bit crude, before shooting the new pics, I gave the model a good dusting, and a wash with airbrush thinner mixed with a raw umber oil color, also with pin washes of thinner and burnt sienna around the hardware. I'm thinking about building one in 3/4" scale sitting on a raised masonry base. There are full sized photos, just go to my flickr site directly and choose the original size.

Scratchman

lab-dad

Gordon,
Yesiree it sure is aDilly!
I would love to read more about how this thing was worked or operated.
Didint realise those were lanterns in the first pics.
Are the arms the lanterns are mounted on moved?
Great work Sir!
-Marty

Scratchman

Marty here is the rest of the infofrom the article:

A dilly of a signal
This one lasted a long time on the New Haven and Central of Vermont, so one like it could be at home even on a model of a modern pike. But it is really very, very old, and it looks it
By T.J. Sommer
During the early development years in the railroad industry, traffic was first controlled by hand signaling, but as time passed and traffic grew in volume, various types of fixed signals were devised to supplant hand signaling and thus expedite traffic.
One of the earliest types of signals developed was the tilting target signal. This generally had only one arm but sometimes had two or more, and the indications were conveyed by the position of the arm or arms. This signal was usually employed to control traffic where tracks crossed or converged, because one such signal would avoid the greater initial expense and maintenance of a group of signals required in a more conventional layout where each approach track to the crossing or junction would be controlled by its own signal. Very few of these signals remain in operation today; those that do remain are in locations where light traffic prevails. Such a signal, erected in 1854, is still in use at Willimantic, Conn. It is here that the New Haven's line from Hartford to Pomfret crosses the Central Vermont Ry. line from East New London to Brattleboro, Vt. A 1917 timetable listed 26 daily passenger trains: 22 on the New Haven and 4 on the CV. In addition, there were about 10 to 12 freight trains daily. For many years a red disk at the top of the mast was connected to the upper arm in such a way that when the top arm was in a horizontal position the red disk would be displayed, and when the arm was lowered to a diagonal or vertical position the disk would be lowered into and obscured by the square box which can be seen in the prototype photos. I decided to omit this device on my model; however, if this extra detail appeals to you, the photos will provide sufficient detail and measurements. This signal should be so located that it's indications can be plainly determined from all of the approaches that are governed by it.  In operation, the signal arms are kept at stop indication until the switchtender-signalman throws the necessary switches to line up a route and then walks to the signal and positions the arms to allow the appropriate train movement to be made.  The switches are hand-thrown on the ground, with no interlocking of any kind.   

(Scanned photos to follow later)

marc_reusser

Gordon,

Thanks for the additional photos. Beautiful. It really has the look and feel of the real thing.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works