• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

This weekend´s find

Started by Hauk, October 11, 2009, 01:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRAINS1941

Well that is certainly making for a wonderful looking scene.  I think you should proceed.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

finescalerr

It's a hobby. I think you should do whatever you enjoy most at the moment. Either way we will enjoy what you show us. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on October 28, 2011, 01:20:11 PM
It's a hobby. I think you should do whatever you enjoy most at the moment. Either way we will enjoy what you show us. -- Russ

One of the things I really appreciate with this forum is the open-mindedness for all kinds of modelling. Both a hyper-detailed diorama of a piece of sidewalk outside MoMa and a Norwegian HO club layout catches the interest. I frankly doubt that you can find a modelling forum with a broader perspective than this one.

Regarding the way to spend the modelling times, I really wish it was as simple as doing what gives you most pleasure. A Model Railroad Club is a really dynamic entity. Several years back I was one of the members that succeded in convicing the rest of the club that we should our  club layout and start a new one. But things  played out different than I had hoped after that, but I still fell quite a bit of responsibility that decision.  But when a hobby (read: the club work) starts to look awfully like yor day time job, something is very wrong. Ok, enough with the boring stuff, next time I promise to post something model related!

Regards, Havard
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

pwranta193

Just found this project posting and have been catching up.  I'm loving the bridge as a tipoc, and think you are doing a beaut of a job representing it.  I'm very much looking to see how you choose to do the stonework - it looks terrific in 1:1, and will be something to carry off in scale.

Oh - I do think you are cheating just a wee bit by going with a snow covered landscape  ;D ;D ;D

Paul
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

Ken Hamilton

The bridge makes for a terrific foreground model.
I also really like the spacious scenery.  It's much more eye-pleasing than trying to
"selectively compress" the layout so you can squeeze in more track than necessary.
(Note: This is coming from someone who prefers to look at scenery more than cluttered track work...)
Great job on the whole layout!
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Hauk

Quote from: Ken Hamilton on November 01, 2011, 10:05:28 AM
The bridge makes for a terrific foreground model.
I also really like the spacious scenery.  It's much more eye-pleasing than trying to
"selectively compress" the layout so you can squeeze in more track than necessary.
(Note: This is coming from someone who prefers to look at scenery more than cluttered track work...)
Great job on the whole layout!

Thanks!
Norwegian railroads in many ways remind me of  American ones. Long stretches of single track winding through big open spaces.
And thats what we try to recreate on this layout. It is all single track with only one route in any scene.

Here is another image showing the two-level design. The black light valances are yet to be installed. The idea is to have a *very* long diorama!

If you look carefully you can see the bridge abutement  to the left on the second level.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Mobilgas

Havard,     The layout looks interesting i would like to see more ;) How big will it be? Looks like its going into another good sized room.   
Craig

Hauk

Quote from: Mobilgas on November 01, 2011, 08:31:05 PM
Havard,     The layout looks interesting i would like to see more ;) How big will it be? Looks like its going into another good sized room.  

Yes, it is pretty big, at least by Norwegian standards. The room is 33´ X 27´ (10m X 7m)

Here are the plans for the layout:

For those really into big, Norwegian model railroads, here are the plans as PDFs:
http://wiki.tmjk.no/images/f/f4/Plan_1_2010-04-12.pdf
http://wiki.tmjk.no/images/c/c6/Plan_2_2010-04-12.pdf

A schematic plan:

The red line is the main line, the yellow is a branchline.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

finescalerr

That is a huge project but you seem to be building it to a very high standard. -- Russ

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on November 01, 2011, 11:40:05 PM
That is a huge project but you seem to be building it to a very high standard. -- Russ

Well, the ambitions are there for sure! I should note that the architect (in all meanings of the word) is a friend of mine called Henning Larsen (And to you architecture nerds, it is not the danish architect Henning Larsen). He has put enourmous amounts of energy into this project.  He has made professional builders plans for all construction on the layout so far. This is invaluable for a club project. You can build  directly from the plans, and this limits the need for tedious discussion on how things should be done.

Myself, I am not really a club person. I work on my little projects like bridges and buildings for the layout, but try to avoid beeing part of all the politics that goes into running a club.

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

Ray Dunakin

That's huge, by any standard!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on November 02, 2011, 09:48:36 PM
That's huge, by any standard!

Yep, in fact too huge if you ask me!
I would have been perfectly happy with a one-level design in that room, and simpler trackwork. But the operation fraction in the club insisted on a second level for operational purposes. Come to think of it, very few of those that voted for the mulit-level design is taking part in the actual construction. Sounds familiar?

Regards, Hauk
Regards, Hauk
--

finescalerr

"Very few of those that voted for the mulit-level design is taking part in the actual construction. Sounds familiar?"

Most "operators" are not modelers. They enjoy the challenge of the game, not the creation of its components.

Russ

David King

I flirted with model railroading a couple times, (actually did some when I was a teen) but came to the conclusion I'm just interested in the modeling, not playing with trains.  I certainly do admire well modeling layouts however, and this one is looking like it will fit that bill.

David
"It's almost written down as a formula, that when a man begins to think that he has at last found his method, he had better begin a most searching examination of himself to see wether some part of his brain has gone to sleep." - Henry Ford

http://www.dsao.fotki.com/