• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

This weekend´s find

Started by Hauk, October 11, 2009, 01:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

This weekend it was time for another out of town experince. Some friends have a cabin in the mountains very close to the mainline between Oslo and Trondheim. It´s an very interesting area from a modellers point of view, it might be one of the most spectacular places on the Norwegian railway network. A lot of classic images like this have been taken in this mountain pass:

The locations around the actual railroad are very familier to me, but I have never drifted very far from the railroad tracks.

So I was totally taken by suprise when we came by this old roadbridge when we went for a little hike today:

Sort of looks like a Colorado narrow gauge railroad bridge...

You can´t carve this, individual stones is the only route to go, me thinks.

The other abutement is cast concrete for variety, the builders knew how to please a modeller!

Nice bridge, but a shame that there is no tracks.

It´s time to check the drawers for Grandt Line NBWs!

This bridge cries out to be modelled. Fortunately, the local Model Railroad club has a large scene that is based on this area.  I really hope to build a H0 model one day, but don´t hold your breath!

-Regards, Håvard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

mobilgas

Hauk,  nice pic's thanks for posting.   i like the Individual stones on the one end.  Craig    Mich  Great Lakes.

Ray Dunakin

Wow, that's a really great old bridge! I love the dry-stacked stone masonry, obviously the work of a skilled craftsman.
The classic steam shot is neat too, it could almost pass for Colorado or Wyoming.

Thanks for the pics.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

RoughboyModelworks

Great pics Hauk... excellent weathering references and that dry-stack masonry is outstanding... kind of amazing that it's still standing and usable, at least for foot traffic.

Paul

MrBrownstone

finescalerr

That bridge is so generic is could exist almost anywhere. Thanks for posting the photos, Håvard! -- Russ

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on October 12, 2009, 01:00:21 AM
That bridge is so generic is could exist almost anywhere. Thanks for posting the photos, Håvard! -- Russ

It seems that this bridge was built in a small coastal town called Larvik, some 330 miles from where the bridge now stands. A 1:1 kit in other words!

The bridge was built in the thirties, and It would be interesting to know how the company came up with this design.

A note on the weathering. I think maybe one reason it looks like it could have been a Colorado bridge is that it is located in a area that has a climate somewhat similiar to Colorado. 
There is no doubt that wooden buildings located along the coast weather differently from structures in higher, drier altitudes like this. (We are talking around 700 meters / 2300 feet above sea level ).

I will post drawings when they are ready.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Chuck Doan

Great find! Thanks for the pics.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marc_reusser

I agree..great find, and nice photos. Thanks.

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Hauk

Besides my 0 scale projects I am also involved in a model railroad club here in Trondheim. At the club we are building a large H0 layout based on Norwegian standard gauge prototypes.  This bridge is located in an area  modelled on that layout, so I choose to build a H0 scale model of this bridge.

Here is a little photo essay.

A week of evenings well spent in my opinion! A relaxing project with no critical tolerances.

Regards, Hauk
--

Frederic Testard

A very clever and relaxing way to make a complex looking model almost without measuring anything, Hauk.
And besides, it's prototypical. You live in a modeller's paradise!
Frederic Testard

Philip Smith

Some serious mitre, notches and angles. Very Nice!

Philip

Chuck Doan

I agree, some nice woodworking there. Neat clean scratchbuilding Havard! Good to see.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

I was wondering where you have been. Now I know. Satisfactory. -- Russ