• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Latest research from the mad norwegian professor...

Started by Hauk, October 12, 2009, 03:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

I have the attention span of a gnat, so here is the latest distraction from my workshop.

One of my future projects is a saloon coach in 0m gauge:

Since the main focus will be on the fantastic interior of the coach, the mechanism must be strictly under the floor.

I found some inspiration for how to approch the problem of building powered trucks:
http://www.clag.org.uk/

I have a bit more space to play with than these 4mm scale (1/76 ) modellers, so I began toying with the idea of using a Faulhaber precision motor with an integrated gearhead.

I purchased an  15mmX12mm motor (Including the  gear!) from an german company named  Lemo Solar 
( http://www.lemo-solar.de/ ) to test the concept . The plan is to use up to 4 traction motors just like the prototype.

The size of the motor looks just right besides the wheelset it is supposed to power:

But what about sound?  For some reason I suspected that such small gearheads could be real whiners, and I did not want to invest in 4 of the little buggers just to find out that they screamed like a choir of banshees.

So I recorded the sound of the engine and compared it to the engine I used for the mechansm of my Westinghouse engine. That engine is whisper quiet and a really smooth runner. 

Here are the results:
http://www.folk-rovere.org/mj/bilder/Motorboggie/1512.wav

http://www.folk-rovere.org/mj/bilder/Motorboggie/2224.wav

The first recording is the smaller motor with the gearhead.  Its not to bad, remember that the mtor was placed almost on the top of the microphone. The second recording sounds quite noisy, but in reality, that engine as mentioned above is really quiet.

This might seem a strange subject to make such a fuzz about, but I am planning to run my models "al fresco" with no artificial sound added, so I want the model motors to sound nice on their own. No sound decoder in other words.

Well, enough for tonight.
Tomorrow I might get around to do some actual modelling!

Regards, Håvard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Ray Dunakin

Cool project. Where did you get those neat spoked wheel sets?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

lab-dad

Great idea!
Keep us up to speed please.
I have a project in the works that will need a small reliable motor
A small planetary gear set would be perfect too.
-Marty

marc_reusser

Hmm ... må få inn de mørke månedene av vinteren ..... du har altfor mye tid på hendene.   ;) :D ;D

Nice subject choice. Looks like it will be another great project to follow. I Look forward to it.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

TRAINS1941

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 12, 2009, 11:39:22 PM
Hmm ... må få inn de mørke månedene av vinteren ..... du har altfor mye tid på hendene.   ;) :D ;D

I second whatever Marc said.  God I hope its a good thing.  It will be great thread to follow along with.

Jerry

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Hauk

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 12, 2009, 11:39:22 PM

Nice subject choice. Looks like it will be another great project to follow. I Look forward to it.

Distant Norwegian roots or Google translate?  ;D

Regarding the progress of this project, I must inform you that this is one for the long haul.
As I said, I am not going to compromise on the interior.  I only have some poor shots of the interior (shamelessly stolen from the web), but it might give some idea about the task at hand:

The interior has an extreme amount of carved decoration and relief wallpaper, and the only solution for a detailed model I can think of is to use a handheld 3D scanner and make a digital model that then can be 3D printed or CNC machined. I lean towards the last option, but that requires acess to a hispeed  CNC milling machine. It would have been so cool to machine the interior parts in real wood! The endmills for CNC machines are available in diameters down to 0,3mm, so it should be possible to  most of the detail.

I am not sure if the handheld scanners are good enough for a task like this yet, but I would love to look into it!

This project is not only a modelling project, but it is also the ultimate way of making a documentation of an extremly rare and valuable museum piece. The project could be seen as a digital back up.

By the way, I think 3D scanning of prototype parts and material for printing and milling in 3D is the next frontier for CAD assisted modelling!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Chuck Doan

That could be a neat way to do it. I was at one point thinking of sending my die-cast tractor out to be 3D scanned so I could replicate others for future projects.  So far, this service seems mostly aimed at reverse engineering applications for industry, and I have not yet found a hobby level price.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

The carved woodwork in that car is amazing! That kind of intricate detail would be difficult to model.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

MrBrownstone

Hey Hauk,

What scale do you plan on doing this in?

Mike

Franck Tavernier

Hauk,

I use too, this motor gearhead from Faulhaber since a few years...This extra flat gearhead are the best I have ever seen, and they are the smallest I have found! Before I used the Faulhaber motor gearhead 2020...but biggest...

http://www.faulhaber.com/servlet/com.itmr.waw.servlet.Anzeige?fremdaufruf=ja&kdid=40929&sprachid=1&htdigurl=/n170324/i91166.html

http://www.faulhaber.com/uploadpk/EN_1512SR_DFF.pdf

The 1512 compared to the 2020

Do not worry about noise, this core less motor gearhead and core less motor in general are probably the more silent on the market!

I'll use next time this 1512 gearhead for a new gas loco in 1:35 scale... ;)

Franck

Hauk

Quote from: Franck Tavernier on October 13, 2009, 11:43:32 AM
Hauk,

I use too, this motor gearhead from Faulhaber since a few years...This extra flat gearhead are the best I have ever seen, and they are the smallest I have found! Before I used the Faulhaber motor gearhead 2020...but biggest...

Nice that others have tried this motor!
Where do you buy them and at what price? I paid € 42 (+postage) for mine at Lemo Solar in Germany. It sure add to the cost of the model, if I really need 4 of them pr. engine. 

Have you been able to test the pulling powers of these motors?
One thing I find confusing is that there seems to be an discrepancy between the data in the Faulhaber data  sheet and the info on the Lemo Solar web store.  In the data sheet it says that the 39:1 motor has an output speed of 129 RPM. But LemoSolar claims that the RPM is 307 RPM, wich is correct for my use. I fear that it is more likely that Faulhabers datasheet has the correct ratio. Do you have an idea, Franck?

By the way, I went back to your photo-pages for a recap on your models, and they sure are some of the nicest little critters around!

Mike: The model will be in 1:45, the Scandinavian flavour of 0-gauge!
Regards, Hauk
--

John McGuyer

If you can get at the woodwork, a 3D pantograph such as a Deckel GK-21 could whip it right out.

John

Hauk

Quote from: John McGuyer on October 13, 2009, 04:21:42 PM
If you can get at the woodwork, a 3D pantograph such as a Deckel GK-21 could whip it right out.

John

Hmm, doesnt the Deckel GK-21 have a maximum reduction of 1:10? That is an bigger model than I originally planned! ;D
Regards, Hauk
--

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: Hauk on October 13, 2009, 03:20:41 PM
Where do you buy them and at what price? I paid € 42 (+postage) for mine at Lemo Solar in Germany. It sure add to the cost of the model, if I really need 4 of them pr. engine.

I bought my gearhead like you at Lemo Solar for the same price + postage and packing! You can buy it directly from Minimotor (Faulhaber) but they are a little bit more expensive, €48.00...

Quote from: Hauk on October 13, 2009, 03:20:41 PMHave you been able to test the pulling powers of these motors?

Yes, and they are sufficiently powerful for our use!

Quote from: Hauk on October 13, 2009, 03:20:41 PMOne thing I find confusing is that there seems to be an discrepancy between the data in the Faulhaber data  sheet and the info on the Lemo Solar web store.  In the data sheet it says that the 39:1 motor has an output speed of 129 RPM. But LemoSolar claims that the RPM is 307 RPM, wich is correct for my use. I fear that it is more likely that Faulhabers datasheet has the correct ratio. Do you have an idea, Franck?

Hum...I think like you, Faulhaber's datasheet has the correct ratio!

Quote from: Hauk on October 13, 2009, 03:20:41 PMBy the way, I went back to your photo-pages for a recap on your models, and they sure are some of the nicest little critters around!

Thanks for the kind words!

Franck