• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Child´s play

Started by Hauk, October 15, 2009, 01:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

I guess we all at some time have tried to explain "the others" that model building is really a hobby  for adults.
Well,this pictures is not to be used in that context:

It was just meant to be another "work in progress" picture of  a sawmill project in 0-scale, I discovered later that it had sort of infantile quality!

Here are some more mature pictures of the project:

It was by no means childs play to get the tops of the pillars really level. I ended up making a searate board with the holes drilled with an drillpress. The holes "on site" was drilled slighly larger with a hand drill than the dowels.

Code 83 rail was spiked to the pillars after predrilling holes for the spikes. The wood in the dowels is suprisingly hard, and even spiking into endwood was impossible without predrilling. In any case, predrilling avoids the risk of splitting.

The sawmill is just a small affair, but very common in the countryside in my part of Norway:

On a side note, it is so typical of my non-systematic approch to modelling that my first industry for my *mining* railroad is a sawmill. You would think that an ore bin would be a more logical choice. But as they say, common sense ain´t all that common.

By the way, here is a picture of the ore bin I will choose for my *next* project:

-Regards, Håvard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

MrBrownstone

Hey Hauk,

Couple of nice subjects there...

Like the photos.. some nice clean shots to work from

I shall keeping an eye on the saw mill build

Looking forward to your impressive modeling skills to be applied in the structure building..

thanks

Mike

marc_reusser

Havard,

You're starting to scare me.....I am feeling my reign as the "King of The Unfinished Models" being challenged. ;) ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Hauk

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 15, 2009, 03:03:15 AM
Havard,

You're starting to scare me.....I am feeling my reign as the "King of The Unfinished Models" being challenged. ;) ;D

Marc

;D

Here is another one:

You could argue that this is not really *my* unfinished project. It is a lasercut  H0 kit I designed for a clinic at the local Model Railorad Club (where I am Head Honcho for the time beiing.)

In case anybody wonder what it will build into:

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

lab-dad

I have never seen the rails used as structural elements to that extent, very cool!
Even on the track side shelter.
Definitely something I like!
-Marty

MrBrownstone

OOOooo.... That one is so tempting...  ;)

seeing as you mentioned it is a kit...  ;D  Are the plans available...

Might just be what I need to try...

thanks for the post

Mike

Hauk

Quote from: MrBrownstone on October 15, 2009, 06:09:32 AM
OOOooo.... That one is so tempting...  ;)

seeing as you mentioned it is a kit...  ;D  Are the plans available...

Might just be what I need to try...

thanks for the post

Mike

Seriously, If you tell me how you make your stone abutements I will send you a kit for free!

I need to make som stone abutements for (dare I say it?)  another project I started some years back.

It´s a dioramo in 0-scale:

Here are some tests I made for stonework:

And even the bridge span is almost finished!

This is what it should look like:

Regards, Håvard H
Regards, Hauk
--

mobilgas

Havard,    i dont feel so bad now, with ONE old project laying around  ;D   Is that a Bill Roy kit on the road under the bridge? and could you post a picture of it ?        Craig

Hauk

Quote from: mobilgas on October 15, 2009, 08:25:16 AM
Havard,    i dont feel so bad now, with ONE old project laying around  ;D   Is that a Bill Roy kit on the road under the bridge? and could you post a picture of it ?        Craig

Glad to be of help!

Youre right, it is a Bill Roy kit:

And its not really my fault that it still is unpainted! Chuck is to blame! I have already painted the wheels of the thing three times. But when I compare my work with the pictures of Chucks Fordson, the wheels go straight into the thinner jar.

By the way, as you might see in the pictures, the grader will have sort of a cab (only a roof really). That was a common feature on this type of graders in Norway:

As the observant reader will notice, this is not a genuine Fordson grader. Its a Norwegian knock-off from a factory called "Troll". The tractor itself is a Fordson, though.
Regards, Hauk
--

Ray Dunakin

Those are some really neat projects! I like the use of rails across the top of the piles.

The prototype ore bin is cool too. Interesting to how climate affects the construction of such things. The desert mines I'm used to seeing rarely have any kind of structure covering the ore bins or headframes.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

MrBrownstone

Hey Hauk,
Quote:
Seriously, If you tell me how you make your stone abutements I will send you a kit for free!

I do believe we can help eachother here... I don't really need the kit... I was thinking of trying to scratch build it myself... but the plans would save me some homework time. (hhmmm.. then again.. Does the platform come with it?  :o  ;D )

you most likely have all the tools you will need.
I can email you a step by step guide with photo's to assist you in your project. (right after I put it together.. I'll try to get that out to you later today)

Mike

Hauk

Quote from: MrBrownstone on October 15, 2009, 01:34:13 PM

I do believe we can help eachother here... I don't really need the kit... I was thinking of trying to scratch build it myself... but the plans would save me some homework time. (hhmmm.. then again.. Does the platform come with it?  :o  ;D )

Excellent!
Yes, I have the lasercutting drawings, but I can easily convert them into a more conventional set of plans.

There is no cut parts for the platfom, as it mainly built out of railroad ties and some lengths of rail.  The drawings for the platform should be ready this weekend, and I will post a copy as soon as possible.

What you need to build the platform is a couple of lengths of code 70 or 83 rail, some stripwood and a handful of Sn3 wooden ties.
It just happens that Kappler Sn3 ties are exactly right for norwegian mainline ties in H0. Norwegian ties has a somewhat different cross-section than american ties.

A nice surprise that someone across the pond considers building a model of this fairly obscure prototype!

Regards, Håvard H
Regards, Hauk
--

MrBrownstone

Sounds Great Hauk,

I do have autoCAD 2009 and autodesk inventor if they are autodesk compatable files?

looking forward to the plans...

well I am not going to gaurantee any amazing build but I will give it my best shot...

It may get some adjustments in order to merge into/with my layout.

Mike

finescalerr

Mike, I'm glad you have decided to scratchbuild. If cutting curves in the walls is more of a challenge than you want at this point (and, were I just beginning it would for me), change the plans to reflect an angled cut. It would look more typically American. Build the model board by board. Stain each board individually prior to construction. Use a wire brush to add grain to some pieces. Then use very fine sandpaper to smooth and defuzz the wood strips. Use a needle in a pin vise to scribe in any cracks or holes. Instead of paint, try using pastels as Gordon Birrell described in another thread about his latest outhouse. Then build the structure. I suspect you will end up with something pretty darned good. -- Russ

RoughboyModelworks

Havard: Really like the stone work for the bridge diorama and the brass work on the bridge itself is not too shabby ;)... very nice. Particularly like the coloring on the stonework and I'm assuming the abutments are built up from individual stones...

Paul