• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Building an MCi

Started by Michael K., October 15, 2009, 11:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael K.

Hi There,

I´m new in this Forum and until now I mostly read the Articles and Threads, now I would like to introduce myself with the latest project on my workbench. 
I try to rebuild an MCi, this is an so called Behelfspersonenwagen which is build from an Gls "Leipzig" freight waggon during WWII.
First I rebuild the chassis, the work is based on an Article in the Hp1-Magazin from Willy Kosak.
For this I´ve used brass-profiles instead of etched parts, this profiles have to be sawed and filed on the accurat dimension.
I started with the headstock. This has to be U-Profiles with the dimension 3,6 x 1,15 mm, but such pieces are not available. So I took an 4x1,5 mm U-Profile and filed it down to the accurat dimension, on every side I took 0,2mm away.
This works easy, if the bench vise first is laminated with electrical tape, then I cutted some rectangular parts from 0,2 mm drawing board (250g drawing board), which fit on the bench vise jaws. I placed the U-Profiles lax in the vise, added the paper on the rihgt and left and pushed the profile flat to the paper surface. After this I removed the paper and started to file, until the file slips over the surface of the electrical tape.
On this picture you see the crude headstock beside the filed headstock:

With the same procedure I flatted the U-Profile 1,5 mm to 1,15 mm, I added another Paper with 100 g and a size of 0,1 mm to the drawing board.

Afterwards I´ve had to file again...

Then I drilled the holes for the bumpers and the couplings. Afterwards the headstocks are soldered on a soldering template:

Next the external sole bars are brought to the accurat length of 122,2 mm, the crossbars can be sawed.
The external sole bars need holes for the rivets, all in all 72 holes with 0,3 mm diameter. For this drillingaction I drawed an template on the PC, which I fixed with superglue in the sole bars. I marked the drilling points with an darning needle:

Afterwards I soldered the sole bars back to back and drilled again, so the holes are located precisely to their opponent.
Then I soldered the Chassis and the inner sole bars. For the inner bars I first made an bending template:

The chassis is nearly ready, only the beam for the brake cylinder is missing and the bearings for the headstock: its an imposition, to solder this L-Profiles 0,5 x 0,5mm :wink:
Afterwards I fitted the chassis to the Waggon-Body:

Then I tried to improve the pressure spring for the couplings: from underneath it looks nearly normal...

...but from above its milled to a tube, so the spring fits in it. I hope, the coupling works like it should in handling

Next the axle support ist soldered at the chassis and the bases for buffers and couplings. These parts were a soldering challenge, because they fell apart while trying to solder the next part on it and solder it on the headstocks. After a different trys I was glad, that they nearly fit as they should - I can live with a tolerance of 0,1mm

The bases are etched parts from the "Bahnsinnsshop", the bases for the couplings are handmade from 1,5 x 1 mm U-Profiles, wich I´ve drilled and filed, after this an 0,1mm Nickel Silverframe was soldered on the base

Also difficult to solder is the brakecylinder at the chassis: these centrifugal casting-parts need long time to get the right soldering temperature - but the carrier profiles are only 0,5 x 0,5mm L-profiles, which get hot very fast.

Then i noticed an mistake in my interpretation of the drawing, which I used for building, so I´ve to adjust some parts and try again.
After I´ve done this, I assembled the brakes - for every axle 17 small parts, which have to be soldered and drilled on their position in the chassis.

If this is done, a 0,3 mm rivet is placed in the hole and has to be soldered there. The other connection is made by an 0,3 mm whire. 3 free-weaving parts have to be connected and soldered:

After this, the holding irons have to be soldered - iron is here a kind of irony, I guess ;)

The brake pull rod must be flat at its ends, then it is drilled. After this it can be assembled with the brakes. Through the hole in the brake lever (marked with a red circle) and the drilled end of the brake pull rod also is added an 0,3mm whire, then this can be soldered.

and here the result:

to be continued - I hope, my english is understandable ::)

Bye
Michael

jacq01

Hello Michael,

welcome to the club.
  This is H0....... one sneeze and most parts have dissappeared  ;) 

Jacq

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Hauk

Nice to see another brass modeller getting onboard!
Nice modelling and excellent pictures.

Regards, Håvard H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

Chuck Doan

Welcome! Nice work. This is the kind of thing I need to learn how to do.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

MrBrownstone

Welcome to the forum Michael,

Very Nice Brass work.

Mike

finescalerr

Very, very good, Michael. Thank you for all the step-by-step photos. -- Russ

mobilgas

Welcome Michael,    Like the Brass work.     Craig  Mich

Ray Dunakin

Wow, that's nice work! Very intricate and well-detailed.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

RoughboyModelworks

Very nicely done Michael... welcome to the Forum, you'll fit right in round here.

Paul

marc_reusser

Oh crap...another one of you super-fine detailed brass soldering guys!....and to make things worse, this one does it by hand!.......I QUIT!............I'm off to go build rubber band powered airplanes! :-X ;) ;D ;D ;D

Welcome! Beautiful detailed work. Thanks for posting here. Looking forward to seeing this progress.  No worries about your English...we understand just fine....and your work speaks for itself.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

lab-dad

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Most excellent work!
Thanks for joining our little group! Thank you for posting the process.
I am curious what tool(s) you use for soldering.
I have several that I use depending on material size.
-Marty

John McGuyer

Very nice soldering. Love it! I too am interested in your equipment and what sort of heat sinks you use.

John

chester

Welcome Michael another much appreciated fine craftsman. Exceptional work.
I too would like to echo the sentiments of others in wanting to learn more of your soldering techniques. I suck at it.

Franck Tavernier

Welcome to the forum Michael!  ;)

Nice modelling and very good brass work!

Franck

glaskasten

excellent work!
What materials and Tools do you use?  Is this torque soldered or electrical.  I have found that using various temperature solder helps with the assembly process.  Do you have access to such solders?