• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Been just playing around building stuff that catches my fancy and looks quick and easy to do. The kind of stuff that can potentially/eventually be used in a small scene or diorama.  I like building this kind of stuff as each one is a small model in it's own, and requires research, and presents its own set of challenges.

Here's the first of the recent ones:

I found this barrel rack in a 1920's  iron works catalog of mine, and felt I just had to build it. These could be ordered as modular units, that came as K/D sectional parts that could be assembled into any length of rack. The box frames came pre-assembled (riveted) with the 'L' flanges for attaching the rail welded on. The rails could then be added in whatever length desired. Cross bracing was meant to be installed on every other unit, if multiple units/modules were assembled. 

The rack was built using Evergreen styrene. The frame channels are .080" channel. the gusset plates are .010" sheet stock. The rivets are .025" round head rivets from Tichy, the hex bolts are Grandt Line (#127).

A  quick styrene jig was made to assemble the box frames. Note that the edges on the jig pieces are clipped, to keep them well clear of the areas to be glued.

The completed rack.

The rack shown with barrels and figure for scale.

The rack sprayed with "Mr. Surfacer" 1200 primer.

M

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Here is another:

These images came from Flickr (sorry, can't remeber the location/photographer).

I printed some letters to the desired size on paper, and spray mounted the paper leters to varous thicknesses of styrene. I then cut these out of the styrene using an Xacto. Below are a couple of the styrene letters; the 'M' is cut from .020" styrene, and the 'R' and 'E' were cut from .010".

Here is the 'M' from the above image, as well as another one in their initial assembly step. The two sides have been spaced using styrene .125" 'H" column pieces. The brass circles are leftover pieces from a PE set.

One of the completed 'M's and the two smaller letters, after receiving a coat of primer. The 'M' is meant to represent the large neon type letters as shown initially, the two skmaller letters are meant to represent stand-off post mount steel letter that were commonplace from the 20's through the 50's. (the posts were tyically inserted part way into the wall behind them..commonl;y masonry). The outside edge of the 'M' was made using .005" sheet styrene.

The other 'M' is still in the works.

M

M-Works

Scratchman

lab-dad

Very cool, and you finished two projects!!!!!!!
<big round of applause>

Great subject material, cant wait to see them somewhere.
I guess the "a,r,c and the "u, s, s, e, r" are forthcoming?
-Mj

Ray Dunakin

Neat little projects, very nice! (That figure is really sharp too -- who makes it?)

I wonder what the brackets are for, which extend above the letters on the hotel sign?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Thanks guys.

Gordon,
Scale is 1/35.

Marty,
Nope......no more letters.......my vanity does have it's limits. ;) ;D ;D

M

M-Works

MrBrownstone

Kewl barrel rack Marc,

Are you going to make the M light up?  ;) :D :)

Mike

RoughboyModelworks

Great letters Marc, cool exercise... so if you're not going to finish spelling your name, then this must be a monogram... ;) :)

Paul

marc_reusser

Thanks again guys.

Ray,
The figure is from Verlinen. It is from one of their 3 "Railroad Workers" sets.  It did need assembly, and I did do some clean-up, and minor surface sculpting.

The letters for the hotel sign are hung on a display rack......the guy that has the signs/letters seems to have built a specialty rack for displaying the various words/signs. Other photos show the rack in full, with other words hanging from it.

Mike,
My aura will make it glow all on it's own. ;D ;D

Paul,
Look for it in all my future works...sort of a "Where's Waldo" thing ;) ;D

MRE

M-Works

finescalerr

As good as these pieces are, I'm waiting to see what you incorporate them into. Somehow you always seem to use your ancillary stuff to great advantage on larger projects. -- Russ

marc_reusser

I have thoughts :-X ;)......but first there are probably at least two dozen more small projects like this I need to build (plus hundreds of smaller detail pieces/parts)....and of course paint...which will take a ton of work and experimenting.

...and I have been experimenting. This was playing around with my some artists oils, MIGrust wash, and pigments on a scrap 1/48 scale Bmann cab.  The cab is the one I used for the salt technique demo the meet...so the chipped unbdercoat color is not quite right for this rust (as it is Oxide red primer)....but that is something that would be corrected on any final project/model. (Sorry photos aren't great...they were just quick snappies)

...Btw...I think there is definitely another "springs" type detail in the offing.

M

M-Works

Franck Tavernier

Great little project Marc!

I like very much your little barrel rack, and letters, more over in 1:35 scale!

Nice job too on the bmann cab, but I'm not still convinced by the salt technique...The rust blobs are too round and too regular... ;)

Franck

Hauk

Quote from: marc_reusser on October 18, 2009, 01:11:36 AM
I have thoughts :-X ;)......but first there are probably at least two dozen more small projects like this I need to build (plus hundreds of smaller detail pieces/parts)....and of course paint...which will take a ton of work and experimenting.

...and I have been experimenting. This was playing around with my some artists oils, MIGrust wash, and pigments on a scrap 1/48 scale Bmann cab.  The cab is the one I used for the salt technique demo the meet...so the chipped unbdercoat color is not quite right for this rust (as it is Oxide red primer)....but that is something that would be corrected on any final project/model. (Sorry photos aren't great...they were just quick snappies)

Marc, You never fail to inspire!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

mobilgas

Marc,     What made you want to build the old    HOTEL LETTERS ???? do you have a building that your going  to be putting them on.  These were a very simple way to make the neon stand out with a painted white backgroud you could see this sign MILES away......Craig

marc_reusser

Craig,

No real reason...I just always like dthe way those old signs looked, and thought it would be fun little build (also something you don't see often on models)....plus would make a unique and interesting pice of clutter/scrap in some kind of a scene....the kind of thing where it is leaning against an old wall with stuff leaning against one part of it, clutterans scrap all around...maybe even a rag or tarp covering part of it....the kind of thing that someone said "Hey...I could use that"....but then never does and it just sits rusting and collecting dust.

M

M-Works