• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Spencer and Chucks tools & boxes of stuff inspired this one last night.

Box is made of .005 styrene. Hammer is a 1/48 scale white metal casting. Wrenches are laser cut pieces from VectorCut. Screwdriver is from the Tamiya VW repair kit. All items were painted/finished with Vallejo acrylics, Abt-502 Oils, and MIG & CMK weathering pigments.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

Frederic Testard

Very nice.  The definition of colours is impressive.
Frederic Testard

marc_reusser

Quote from: Frederic Testard on May 03, 2010, 12:47:02 PM
Very nice.  The definition of colours is impressive.

Thanks. The definition is easy....you just have to paint and weather evey piece seperately before gluing it in the box.  ;)

MR

M-Works

Frederic Testard

Yes Marc, but I was particularly thinking of the screwdriver. It looks like a really small part and I don't think you've made it out of three sub-assemblies.
Frederic Testard

chester

Nice Marc, especially the metal finish on the open end wrenches. But who keeps tools like that in a little metal box? ;)

mobilgas

Marc,  Man you been on a roll......been busy......the finish on the tools & box looks good.     Craig

JohnP

Marc, like Frederic says, that screwdriver looks like a wooden handle, ferrule and blade. See the extracted section below. I am amazed by the black ring that separates wood from the metal like oil and sweat have accumulated there.

Regale us with your tale of how you used a gnat's eyelash paintbrush with a fine carbon nanotube pigment grind to do that.

Seriously, what is the scale again?

John
John Palecki

marc_reusser

Thanks guys.

Ok John and Frederic.....I give in ;)...here goes...

On these old wooden screwdrivers, there always seems to be a small space or gap between the ferrule and the wider portion of the handle, and this was going to serve me well in trying to define the paint colors. Before I began painting, I took an Xacto and ran it very lightly around the the joint area, to create just the slightest groove (too much and you either cut the tip off or make it too fragile). Then came a coat of Mr Surfacer primer (from a can), and an AB application of a dark rust brown base color.  The handle was then painted with the Vallejo acrylic, using a 0/10 brush....I painted the orange red, just to the base of the handle area...not around to the groove...so there was a slight area/line of the dark brown remaining there between the orange and the grooved line. I then used Mr. Color/Gunze "Aluminum" (this is an oil based paint), and with an 0/18 brush flowed/painted the color onto the ferrule...this is where that groove came in...because these silver paints tend to somewhat flow/disperse on a surface, the lip on the groove or the groove itself would hopefully act as a stop/edge......then I would have a nice clean line, and only a small sliver of dark brown between the silver and the orange...which would act as a shadow...or as John noted...collected dirt and grime.  Finally the shaft/blade of the screwdriver was randomly rubbed with MIG "Gun Metal" pigment...I didn't want the whole part to be the same color, because I found that these screwdrivers tended to rust/oxidize in a somewhat blotchy pattern. Lastly some black pigment was applied to the wood handle area to simmulate contact from dirty/greasey hands.

....so there you have it....that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Below is a quick snappy of the box next to Chuck's magic penny. Scale is 1/35.

MR

M-Works

jacq01

QuoteChuck's magic penny

Now I get it....that's the way Chuck and you keep fooling us.. :o ;)
  That penny is two or three times largere than the real thing.

convincing work... do you use magnifying glasses / glas to do this type of modeling ?

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Gordon Ferguson

Very neat Marc, looking at my old tool box in the garage think you pinched some of my tools.

Would be interested in seeing some pics of how you actually hold these small items to paint, do you use d/sided tape on the side that won't be seen , pin vices, etc ?

Thanks
Gordon

lab-dad

Just catching up, great details Marc!
I was drawn to the hammer's handle finish; looks like the shellac has worn down where it is grasped and somewhat flakey. I'd like to know how that was done if you have time.
-Marty

DaKra

Very nice treatement of the VectorCut wrenches, they look like metal.    Your methodical approach shows what a big difference it makes when you treat each individual piece of clutter as a model unto itself, instead of a filler item plopped onto the model as an afterthought. 

Dave

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: jacq01 on May 04, 2010, 04:24:20 AM
Now I get it....that's the way Chuck and you keep fooling us.. :o ;)
That penny is two or three times largere than the real thing.
  Jacq

Yah, I'm figuring that penny is at least 12" in diameter... ;) Very nicely done Marc. I was thinking you must have pinched those from my shop when I wasn't looking...

Paul

JohnP

I think the wrenches are Campgnolo headset spanners from the '50s, like the ones in the old bike shop I used to manage. They must be from Marc's bicycle tool kit. And the hammer's for whacking cotter pins out of his old Nervar cranks.

I can almost feel the wooden screwdriver handle in my palm. That tool box is more cool than some large layouts I've seen in magazines.

John
John Palecki