• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Nothing earth shattering....But I wanted to test out working with the Chaos Black primer, so I found a realy horrible barrel casting in an old RPM kit. Styrene strip was added to make it a "hoop barrel", and the side hole was drilled out then a MIG PE washer glued in place to give the lip/edge detail. The top edge was already bad from the casting..I just aggravated it a slight bit with the wire brush pencil and some liquid solvent stippling.

Since this was just an experiment, I took a 'no brainer' approach to the painting. Primed with the Citadel primer. Rust tones and white blotches were randomly sponged on using the Life-Color rust set. After about 3 mins of drying, a MIG blue filter was applied with a wide brush, dried with a hair dryer, the surface was then randomly dusted with a combination of MIG, Bragdons & CMK rust and black tones. This was then set in place by flowing on some turpentine. It would obviously still need some dust and such....but for a 15 min, no effort project, it seems OK....usefull for backround fill or being buried in the scenery...and something anyone can easily do with no special tools or skills.

MR

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Tom Neeson

Cool Marc,
Looking at the picture I wouldn't have thought of a blue filter. But now that you mention it I do see it. Neat rusty effect.

Tom
No Scribed Siding!

JohnP

The blue filter brings out a tone commonly found in rusty rolled sheet steel. It adds a believability that is difficult to pinpoint but looks great under the nice rust texture.

Your 15 minute no effort job is the result of hours of reading, gathering and experimenting.  Don't brush off your talents so easily. Well done as always sir.

John

Use your Swedish much working as a paramedic for the Red Cross in the States?
John Palecki

Malachi Constant

Quote from: marc_reusser on May 13, 2010, 02:39:01 AM

Quotep.s. I hope the bottom of the cylinders have that slightly hollowed out look and are not flat!

You caught me on the hollowed-out :-X....they are not...I tried to add that detail using a Dremel, but the plastic is not thick enough to get any decent depth (wrecked one cylinder trying).....I have been considering turning some more cylinders on the lathe, or having a go at the PAP method.  Marc

Fred H. and all -- Thanks for the info on Print-a-Part and Sketch-up ... thanks to Marc for the intro thread on Sketch-up ... one of these days, I'll sit down and "start" learning that stuff.

Meanwhile, here's a crude, simple-minded and extremely low-tech approach to the hollowed-out tank bottom that takes about as long as downloading Sketch-up ...

I had a couple extra Italeri tanks glued together but not painted yet .... drilled the bottom out of one ... close to the tank walls, then carved out by hand ... that part could be done more neatly by those inclined and/or walls can be thinned if desired ...

Stuffed the tank most of the way full with bits of paper towel (I did say this was low-tech!) ... mixed up a tiny bit of Magic Sculp (two-part, air-dry sculpting material like Milliput) ... pressed some of that in ... and looked around for small spherical objects.  The marble was too big to make a noticeable dish in the bottom ... the Mardi Gras beads seemed about right.  At which point, some drunken chicks stumbled by and  :o ... oops, I digress ...

Wet the Magic Sculp ... dusted one of the beads with talc so it wouldn't stick ... then pressed it in.  First attempt:  tried scraping off the excess around the edges, but ended up disturbing the soft putty ... so repeated it and left the excess around the rim as shown.  Will let that dry and sand off the excess tomorrow.  Need a deeper dish?  Use a smaller bead/ball/sphere, etc.  Shallower dish ... figure it out!  ;D

Took less time to do it then describe it ... so this might be a useful approach for low-tech guys like me and lurkers, etc. 

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Cool!

Great  idea/solution and result. Thanks for posting.

I can already hear Gordon or Nick piping up and suggesting I do it on the tanks I have alredy started (keep dreaming guys)  :-X ::) :P ;D

Marc

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Dallas,

that is a neat and simple solution!

Marc you are obviously just not prepared to put the effort in, disappointing you really could have become quite good ;)
Gordon

shropshire lad

Quote from: gfadvance on May 16, 2010, 07:41:12 AM
Dallas,

that is a neat and simple solution!

Marc you are obviously just not prepared to put the effort in, disappointing you really could have become quite good ;)

I agree , Gordon , Our Kid Marc is really a bit of a lightweight and no real commitment to the hobby . As you say , it's a shame , because he has promise !

Nick

marc_reusser

Remember Kids...

Be Safe....Don't Drink & Model!

M.......

M-Works

Tom Neeson

Is there any other way?

Tom
No Scribed Siding!

Gordon Ferguson

These are definitely bits & pieces of clutter, although to 1/24 scale.

Just plasticard, scalpel & fiberglass burnishing tool .... no CAD drawings. Probable could easily be done with Print a Part but I quite like the imperfections. These are first trials, going to make some more with cleaner detail and then cast copies in resin - will probably then use these with some experiments I am working through on modelling cobblestones/ inset track.
Currently finish is just matt black and rubbed with pencil - giving a simple representation of polished cast iron
Gordon

marklayton

Impressive, Gordon!  Even the lettering is carved by hand?

Mark Layton
He who dies with the most tools wins.

Malachi Constant

Hey Gordon --

Those pieces look terrific ... and at the level of modeling here, the (very) minor imperfections only lend to the character ... very neatly done!

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

Holy moly, those look like commercial castings! Great work!

How did you do that "fish scale" effect?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

lab-dad

QuoteJust plasticard, scalpel & fiberglass burnishing tool .... no CAD drawings

:o :o :o
Now just hold on a minute!
What do you mean?
If it is not too much trouble I'd like to see more of how these came to be. PLEASE!
Those look great!
-Marty