• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZnKY

Overall I'm pretty impressed with the effort.  The limestone around me has surface characteristics very similar to the model, so I'm going to give this a try.  I also really like the plants and organic coloration you've added.
My biggest objection is the mortar between the stones.  The lack of contrast between the stones and the mortar almost makes it look like the stones are dry-laid, but if that was the case, the recesses between stones would be much darker to my eye.  I think the similarity in color makes it all look like a painted model, rather than being up to your usual standards.  It also has a "generic" quality to it.  For example, the limestone in central Kentucky I'm trying to match is very white, with darker mortar lines.  (The mortar joints were also usually tuckpointed after the wall was finished.)

Please take these comments for what they're worth - attempts at constructive criticism.  What you've posted here is better than anything I've done...
Eric Zabilka
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

marc_reusser

Eric,

Thanks for the input and critique. Much appreciated. thanks also for the ref. pic of the KY limestone.

You are right the whole piece is lacing differentiation and definition....much of that is because I really had no direction where I was going with it....I just sort of started messing with the materials, and then reshed through the finishing/painting.  The Modelling paste is also a definite problem...it doesn't absorp the acrylics and washes well....and once dry, it is quite a hard shell to shape....so I would definitely recommend using a light-weight spackle or plaster...something that can easily be worked after drying.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

JohnP

If you put that wall in a scene with other modeled bits of a similar level it would blend in. On its own it is easy to see a few things that need attention. It is almost not fair to yourself Marc to do that.

Context is very important in fooling the mind-eye connection. That is what we do after all- attempt to trick the viewer into thinking a model is what it is really not.

John

PS And I find a good bourbon assists in that mind-eye foolery.
John Palecki

EZnKY

Not to steal the thread, but I can't let that last comment go by without asking...do you have a favorite bourbon John?

For what it's worth, my favorites are Four Roses Small Batch, Corner Creek, and Bulleit. 

Eric Zabilka
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Craig_H

Sooner or later the talk always come back to the BOOZE ::)        Craig

JohnP

Eric, you are far more of an experienced bourbon man than I. At our state-run booze stores there is some selection, but I prefer Jim Beam Black because it is reasonable to buy and taste and share. Better than Maker's Mark etc. We have a bar/restaurant here in Roanoke that has a bourbon tasting club, but I prefer to drink at home.

Our old favorite was actually a scotch, The Dalmore -12 year stuff. But that is getting pricey and harder to buy.

No Craig, the talk generally comes back to Russ and his thong-bikini clad office assistants on his Island of Misfit Modelers. Then we discuss the booze. :)

Anyway- bricks, rocks, stones, walls. I modeled the Hoosac Tunnel east portal in 1:160 a while back. It is styrene with all the blocks according to the real deal. I never could get rid of the styrene sheen for some reason. These days I would have put more into it texture and finish wise.  I had fun and wrote about it for N-Scale magazine.

Now whose thread is this?

John
John Palecki

DaKra

I like the stone wall.  If it were used as-is in a 1/35 armor diorama, the lack of definition to the mortar wouldn't be an issue since its more or less a background piece. If the details blended out a little, it wouldn't hurt, might enhance the focal point.

Good to know about cork as a stone making material.   If I used it, I might add some grit to the paint, so the finished surface would be less smooth.   Might also help with the styrene sheen John had trouble with on the tunnel portal.   Durham's Water Putty is a useful additive in these cases.   

Dave

Gordon Ferguson

I do find this topic really useful as you can drop in little experiments that don't really justify a thread of their own  .... and hopefully get some useful comments/critique.

I'm starting to build some bits & pieces for an abandoned/ drained canal, amongst the list of things I wanted to include was an abandoned old rusty wheelbarrow. the basic shape of the barrow was pull moulded over a carved shape and the frame made from 1.5mm aluminium tube, and the wheel lifted from (I think a 1/48 ME109)

I'm trying to get a better understanding of pigments so this was a useful piece to learn a bit more about them . After priming with matt black I then sponged on a lot of rust shades then sprayed with hair spray, when wet sprinkled on some salt. When that was dry it was given a light spray of grey paint and then the salt was brushed off and some more of the grey. paint scrubbed off.

At this stage started to apply various shades of rust pigments from MIG productions, I deliberately tried to use a mix of dry and wet pigments to build some texture and that scale effect you get on old rusty metal.

As you can see this experiment didn't work as well as I had imagined it in my mind .......... however played around with a bit more of the pigment fixer  and its now got a bit closer

Final shot is where I have got to now , this is the angle that the finished piece will be displayed so spending most of my time working  on this angle .... have now added a bit of MIG Factory Grey pigment as this seems a good match to old dried cement.

So folks sharpen your pencils and let me have your views.
Gordon

finescalerr

Quitcher bellyachin'. Looks very, very good. -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Gordon --

Neatly done!  Remove those little lint fuzzies at the back corner (front left on screen) and you're there.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Gordon Ferguson

Dallas,

thats one of life's many mysteries to me ....... you check the model, you check the initial photo, then you post them ......... and what do know the little fuzzies are back.

Their gone NOW!

Russ, sorry didn't mean to sound as if I was moaning ::)
Gordon

Craig_H

John,  Your right... thong bikini's..... you forgot paper modeling....and then the Booze :)       The wheelbarrow looks good especially making it from scratch.....and the coloring turned out good in the end.    Craig

JohnP

G, that wheel barrow would be a better model if it was done in cardstock or paper... ;)

Actually I like the finish. Set in a scene with other objects of similar quality it would be a nice eye highlight, something to rest the vision on for a moment while scanning the view. The dents and rust and holes make one imagine the hard service it saw, the calloused hands upon the handles and the general age of the thing. Very nice, and well worth the effort.

John
John Palecki

Gordon Ferguson

Here are 2 of the most exciting pictures you will ever see, a small (1"x1"x1")grey box!

This came about following my last conversation with Andi Little on a project we are both involved in , were discussing likely rubbish that would be dumped in the drained canal, no offence but I was trying to avoid the ubiquitous 45 gallon beat-up rusty oil drum and Andi suggested an old safe ......... now whither he meant for the Top or Bottom Yard is still open for debate

Just need to finish of front with some bits & pieces from one of Lasercut frets for the combination dial, handle etc. and then the fun will start ... pictures on the web show most of these old safes had some form of gold pin-striping on the front, oh and add some wheels, again pictures show most had small cast iron wheels on the bottom.
Gordon

Malachi Constant

Gordon --

a) Bravo for choosing "alternative" junk item(s)!
b) That's a rather neat little assembly of styrene bits & pieces you've got there ... looking real good ... and appears to be a very good job of fabricating/setting the hinge pins to allow that door to swing properly.
c)  I guess Houdini got out!  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com