• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

Thanks Marc -- I'm humbled (and quite pleased) by those remarks!  ;)

Of note:  The transparency material used to make the can wrappers responds to embossing differently than .005 styrene.  It seems to make crisper ribs, etc., than you get with styrene ... so that might come in handy as an alternate material for little plates, hatch covers, etc. where some embossing is needed.

Thanks Russ -- The "cleverness" translates into persistence.  After the first few failures, I just kept going based on the aspects that were working until the rest got ironed out.  :)

That said, once the process was established, making additional cans is a simple and easy little project ...

Cheers,
Dallas 
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Malachi Constant

"Inside the Armour" -- 1/35 scale tools & boxes

Turns out these folks make TWO different sets of toolboxes & tools ...

#35015 British Tank Maintenance Tools -- shown above.  More photos of component pieces here:
http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=5749

And it can be found on the ITA web site here:
http://www.insidethearmour.com/pages/addOnArmour.html

BTW, this set includes parts to make SOCKETS ... but those are assembled from individual round layers (yikes!) ... not sure how well that would work out.  Seems like it might be better to put one of those disks over the end of a piece of open tubing to suggest the socket instead.  ???

#35018 Generic Tools -- shown above.  More photos here:
http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/newkitnews/insidethearmour.html

This set is NOT (currently) shown on the ITA set -- see ordering info below.

There's a detailed build thread, including some assembly tips/info and finishing here:
http://www.militarymodelling.com/forums/postings.asp?th=47040&p=1

Ordering -- UK and International:  The British set is on the ITA web site on the page linked previously.  You can inquire about the generic set, postage etc, here:
http://www.insidethearmour.com/pages/howToOrde.html

Ordering -- United States:  I got the generic set from Dave Reed Models (no web site) ... and he's willing to stock or special order the British set if there's interest.  Email Dave:  dave37167 (at) hotmail.com

No ... I'm not smart enough to get a good kickback arrangement on these plugs ... just passing along the info!  ;)

1/35 Scale RAILWAY Tools --- ???

I've exchanged emails with Chris Meddings at ITA, and he's planning to do more tools and toolboxes ... he's seen the threads here, and he'd be interested in doing some 1/35 scale railway tools ... if someone can supply him with the appropriate information (photos, dimensions, etc.)  Contact Chris here if you can do that:
http://www.insidethearmour.com/pages/howToOrde.html

Cheers,
Dallas

Ray Dunakin

The bolt man is great, I've seen figures like that in so many garages and shops.

Awesome garbage cans!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

A useful post. Very nice products. -- Russ

shropshire lad

Good find Malachi, looks like I shall have to get me a couple of sets .

Talking of railway tools here are a couple of fellas who might be in need of some . The latest addition to the MK35 range . Ugly looking buggers .

Nick

Malachi Constant

Yikes, those are some ugly buggers!  I've seen that fat guy and all his cousins at every train show I've ever attended ... always blocking the tables I'm trying to visit ...

BTW, I have the ITA "generic" tool set in hand.  The saws do have some amazing little detail in the teeth ... they need some attention to properly shape the handles, etc, as described in that build thread that was linked.

Also, I've built the Plus Model fold-out toolbox, and it was a extremely fiddly -- looks like the ITA fold-out box is much easier -- and the hinge bits look much more manageable.  That was the worst part on the Plus Model version.

Will probably get the British set when I get a few $$ or GBP's to spare ... I like those toolboxes (which are different than the angled one in the generic set) ... and might be "fun" to give the sockets a whirl.

Cheers,
Dallas

marc_reusser

Dallas n' Nick,

Thanks for posting that info....some great new stuff, guess I'll be needing to hit-up my wife for my allowance.

Speaking of little people..i'ts been raining and cold here, so not able to shoot paint my robot build,...decided the LP's my need somewhere to sit, so I threw together a couple of benches for them.

Construction is stripwood, wet painted with Vallejo acrylics, and then weathered with some MIG and Bragdons pigments, and Abt-502 "Engine Grease" oil color. Green color and chips were brush applied...wear area in center was done by dampening a cosmetic sponge in alcohol and very carefully removing the color coat.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Little bench made from box scraps is cool ... but that painted bench with the worn-off seating area is outstanding!

Saving those ideas for furnishing the "customer lounge" on the front porch of my shop.  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas

Chuck Doan

Simple little things that just look right.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Gordon Ferguson

No point in trying to kid you .............. I'm just going to steal this idea, the only question is what scale will I build them in ?

Nice finish though
Gordon

shropshire lad

Nice benches , Marc . Yet another one of you ideas to nick !

Back to tool boxes . I bought these two sets some time ago and nearly gave up the will to live trying to make the tool box . The ITA ones look much more user friendly .

Nick

Malachi Constant

Funny how all the different makers have different strengths and weaknesses to their items.  That RM toolbox does look like a helluva job to do ... BUT ... the RM #039 Workshop accessories are REAL nice.  Have those taped all over the back wall of my shop now  ;D ... look forward to actually finishing them.  Here's a close-up shot ...

Cheers,
Dallas

Ray Dunakin

Great benches, very realistic! I like the paint can stain.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Thanks guys, they were a fun little build, and I am sure will come in handy somewhere down the road...but now that the LPs have a place to sit, they are complaining they have nothing to play cards on, and nowhere to heat their lunch sausages over a fire!

The whole time I was building these I was thinking how much easier and quicker it would be if these were available as a set of 3 laser cut benches  ::) ;D

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

DaKra

Laser cut those things?  In that scale?  I can just hear the old timers grumbling how kids today can't do anything by hand!   ::)  :D

Love the paint can circles, hmm maybe a laser cut rubber stamp for that ...