• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

Wow, if this were the worst thing I'd been blamed for causing, I'd be in really great shape!  ;D

Started thinking "where'd you get those neat wheels?" and such while looking at the photos, then went on to read the descriptions.  That's some really neat fabrication work there ... and that prototype is set in a perfect little vignette with a backdrop of weathered wood and an underlay of gravel, grass and fallen leaves ...

Will certainly look to more of your 1/35 madness.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

shropshire lad

Quote from: gfadvance on March 31, 2011, 12:10:12 AM
Early on in this thread Marc mentioned "cement mixers" and I posted a few photos of one I intended to model.
Whilst doing some more research on this subject came across these photos last week

There was something about this one which really appealed, although I think the overall rust finish is beyond my painting abilities it is interesting to see how the different planes and different steel/iron have rusted in different ways and colours. Decided that I would have a go at in 1/24 to go with my road roller. Having no lathe could not go down the route Marc has started on with his, so went back to draftsman days and thought I would play around with producing the mixing drum out of paper. Produced a few trial pieces and then made the mistake of getting involved with Dallas on the subject of scale rulers. with a 1/35 rule in my hand I noticed that one of my trial pieces was exactly right for a 1/35 scale model so that is what I have ended up modelling ( as well as a 1/24 version!)

The beer bottle is the only 1/35 item I have to give some comparison shots, and the photos are quick & dirty ones at the bench.

Other than some Tamiya tanks I made years ago this is a new scale to me and I have struggled a bit to get things like the steel C frames to proportionally right, have scratched them from 20 thou strip but have thinned all the edges - would have been better starting with 10 thou but didn't have any in stock. The drum is made from paper and balsa, wheels from paper and rod, the rest from plastic strip.

Now that I am ending up with my only 1/35 scale model going to have to find a use for it, thinking of it abandoned at the the side of a building (maybe a Nissan Hut) bit of grass, bit more junk etc.   

Gordon ,

There's only one thing to do with it . Send it to me and I'll find a good home for it . Looking forward to seeing it painted up .

Nick

Gordon Ferguson

Glad you folks seem to like this little curio.

Nick, with the problems I have with painting it may well end up looking for a home!

Dallas, I still blame you - and my eyes hurt, how these people to like Anders produce master pieces in 1/87 is completely beyond me. Oh and I would terrified of trying to reproduce the weather wood in the picture, don't think it would be believed as reproducing the real world.

Marc, it was your mentioning of "turning" in your origonal thread that led me to assume the lathe work

Have not been able to find a picture of this mixer showing the power unit , although I think it must be similar to this one

For the 1/35 model I will just go down the old and trusted route of the doors just slightly ajar, maybe will build the engine for the 1/24 version?

While this mixer will be rusted and abandoned its replacement may well be this one

Nick, think this one would go with the compressor mounted on the "skip" frame you posted a while ago.

Anyway managed another hour on this one so some more progress, promise I will dig out my proper lighting set up before I post any more photos.

Gordon

DaKra

That thing is so ugly, its beautiful. Love the model!  Saved to my files for a construction site scene I'll build in HO someday.  

NORCALLOGGER

Hey Gordon,
I don't care whether you like it or not, I love it ;D :)
Really nce job and I'm sure the paint will come out just fine. ;)

Funny you should bring up mixers at this time, just yesterday I was up at the mill and wandering around out back when I came across this little jewel.  

I haven't looked it over real close yet, have to cut some brush and move some junk to do that, but it is "hit-n-mis' power on what looks like a homemade frame.  Will have to see.

Also this week I found the Pierce-Arrow and the Sterling, both of which I have been hearing about for 5 years and finally found them.

A couple of pictures.

Remember these trucks hauled logs and lumber for this company on this property when they were new, well sort of new.
Later
Rick

Malachi Constant

Gordon -- Nice work!  Cabinet with the doors ajar seems just fine.  If your  :o hurt, you might want to try an amazing, "modern" device called a magnifier -- or maybe just some reading glasses, as 1/35 really isn't that small.  ;)

Rick -- Great pix!  Thanks for posting those.

Cheers,
Dallas

Ray Dunakin

Cool prototype, and really nice work so far on the model!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Rick; Great photos, thanks for posting them.

Gordon; I really like the character and shape of the drive box. This is a little gem. I think it would look perfect sitting in the weeds next to one of Nicks brick sheds.  ;D

Not as exciting as whats been happening in this thread lately, but I have been experimenting a bit with some different approches/techniques for making kilometer marker stones, such as are found along rail lines and roads in Europe. There is a lot of variety in size and shape amongst the prototypes, however I wanted to focus more on the method, so I kept the shape pretty basic. The markers are 8.5mm wide, and made of strip styrene. Chipping done with an Xacto; texture done with a stiff brush wetted with liquid-cement, then some final clean-up with fine sandpaper. Painting and weathering done with Vallejo acrylics, MIG/CMK/Bragdons pigments, and MIG/AK washes.

There's one more, but I still need to add the black numerals to it.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Very effective Marc, like the lichen effect and the general texture ........ vegetation is impressive, lots of variety rather than the more usual "grass", is it sourced from "Reality in Scale"?

Thanks for dropping the hint to Nick ! I will look forward to a little brick hut appearing thro' the post
Gordon

finescalerr

Marc, I really like what you have done -- the whole thing: Track, dirt, vegetation, markers. Once again you have created a credible miniature version of reality, something most in the "model train" world seem to consider unnecessary. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Thanks Gordon and Russ,

The vegetation was made with some stuff I had laying around. It's a combination of shreds of beige Silfor matting; some small grass tufts, and shreds of field matt from Mini-Natur; Some assorted shredded fine scenery foam, tree covering foam, and straight "grass" bristles from Woodland-Scenics. The two brodleaf blants were made from dried parsley leaves (painted w/ Vallejo acrylics), Oak leaves on track are from CMK (?) (painted w/ Vallejo acrylics), .....once on place the whole piece was drybrushed with varios shades/mixes of Vallejo green and yellow-beige acrylics, to tie it all together, and correct/tone down some of the harsh/odd color differences.

I just placed a large order with Mich Toy Soldier and Scenic Express for a bunch of scenery material.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Quote from: finescalerr on April 01, 2011, 01:42:42 AM

a credible miniature version of reality, something most in the "model train" world seem to consider unnecessary. -- Russ

If this were part of a layout or even a shelf layout, it would never get done....this little section of vegetation alone, probably took me about 2-hours.  ::) :-\   ...maybe one would eventually get faster at doing it, or develop a system...but even then, I think a diorama is as far s one...at least me....would want to push it.    Althought there are always guys that are nuts...like Nick and his Photo diorama.....

Marc

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 01, 2011, 01:57:31 AM
....this little section of vegetation alone, probably took me about 2-hours.  ::)
Marc

Worth every second!  Outstanding and inspiring results ... look forward to getting to that point eventually.  Will be darned pleased if I can make it look anywhere near that good in twice the allotted time.  ;)  -- Dallas

shropshire lad

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 01, 2011, 01:57:31 AM
Quote from: finescalerr on April 01, 2011, 01:42:42 AM

a credible miniature version of reality, something most in the "model train" world seem to consider unnecessary. -- Russ

If this were part of a layout or even a shelf layout, it would never get done....this little section of vegetation alone, probably took me about 2-hours.  ::) :-\   ...maybe one would eventually get faster at doing it, or develop a system...but even then, I think a diorama is as far s one...at least me....would want to push it.    Althought there are always guys that are nuts...like Nick and his Photo diorama.....

Marc

Marc ,

I love your bit of scenicking , there is alot more thought and consideration gone into it than my effort . I must admit I rather enjoy doing this aspect of modelling as it is fairly mindless ( which I do well ) and with the right materials it is possible to get good results fairly quickly . The secret is having the right materials .

I think that there is an article , or two, on the sourcing and use of these newish materials , but finding the right publication to present it to is the problem . I have already started thinking about such an article but until I can find somewhere to publish it there is not much point starting it ,

Nick

shropshire lad

Quote from: gfadvance on April 01, 2011, 01:31:20 AM
Very effective Marc, like the lichen effect and the general texture ........ vegetation is impressive, lots of variety rather than the more usual "grass", is it sourced from "Reality in Scale"?

Thanks for dropping the hint to Nick ! I will look forward to a little brick hut appearing thro' the post

Gordon ,

It's funny, but I wasn't thinking of doing that way round , but Hey Ho , I'll pop in the post later on today . The problem is that you are going to have to pay the postage and at £500 you might change your mind ,

Nick