• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

I have a little program that I use for scaling. Called ScaleCalc. I put up a copy on a file-sharing service ..

http://www.gigasize.com/get/f44kd5stvjd

It's an .exe file. I checked it with Norton before uploading and it got a clean bill of health.

It will convert dynamically between two scales or a scale and prototype. You can also edit the scales, add new ones, delete whatever as you wish. It works great.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

marc_reusser

Quote from: gfadvance on April 17, 2011, 05:26:30 AM
Nice details Marc, I need to add some oil cups to mine so all I need to do is buy a couple of 1/35 armour kits for a couple of bits about 3mm in size  ::)

Out of interest what thickness of plastic card are you using, I use this little guide I made to try and keep my little bits in scale ........... I appreciate its not overly accurate I just rounded up or down to the nearest thickness of card v typical imperial real life sizes.

Gordon,

Do I detect some sarcasm re my bits?   ;D.   You don't need to buy kits just for the parts (though I admit to doing so on far more than one occasion)....you just need to start about 30 or so kits where you end up kitbashing or scratch-building a large portion....and there you have it....instant boxes of junk that you can spend endless hours sifting through for one 3mm part that you could potentially adapt.

For the yoke I used .010 and .015 (closer to .013 after sanding) strip and sheet stock.  I made a sim table to yours that hangs on the back of my bench. I included a column for 1/48 as well, as I do still build the occasional item in this scale, and it helps me quickly convert/approximate pre-cut O-scale stripwood sizes to 1/35. (I need to add an HO col. as well, as I frequently use HO stripwood for 1/35).

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

That scale chart is a good idea. I should do one up in 1/24th, would save me a little time trying to remember (or recalculate) scale dimensions of standard styrene strips.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Gordon Ferguson

My son found this for me on the web ............ looks like I should add a few bits to my mixer .............. oh and I need to come up with a good reason why this American mixer is sitting abandoned in deepest UK.

Gordon

W.P. Rayner

Quote from: gfadvance on April 18, 2011, 12:58:45 AM
My son found this for me on the web ............ looks like I should add a few bits to my mixer .............. oh and I need to come up with a good reason why this American mixer is sitting abandoned in deepest UK.

It was brought over during the war and some local lads managed to wrangle a deal with the Yanks in exchange for a case of Scotch...

Paul

marc_reusser

Paul, I was thinking along the same lines....but maybe itwas just laft behind by the Yanks after the war, "surplus materiel"...costs more to take it home than to have it clutter up the Limey countryside.

Gordon; Though the machines on that page are neat, I don't think you need more stuff on the machine...attached are to pics of ...sorta, kinda, maybe, the vaugest feel of yours....if you squint real hard.....at least sizewise....and they don't have more stuff.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Here are two mixer images just for fun...note the top one is hand cranked and belt driven.

These images are croped from a "3-1" CD of road construction and construction machinery catalog PDF's, sold by Darryl Huffman. (unfortunately I dont have his site adress anywhere, the CD was $15.00)

M-Works

marc_reusser

..and for Gordon....so he doesn't forget to build the concrete cart.

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Marc, thanks for the pictures, all added to the "mixer" file  ............ they all have character, although the hand powered one must have been hard work !

Younger, thanks for the link .....could not resist and have ordered up the CD Marc mentioned.

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 19, 2011, 02:24:52 AM
..and for Gordon....so he doesn't forget to build the concrete cart.

Thanks, getting your own back now, shouldn't have mentioned the yoke should I ?

Actually just about finished a wheelbarrow that is very close to the one in the picture, and yes I am going to have to have a go at the other one ........ seen this type before but did not realise that they were used for moving cement.

However feel I should bring it to your attention that I am not the only one building a mixer so I expect to see a reciprocal gesture from you ;D
Gordon

Gordon Ferguson

Younger

One thing, in http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/custom3.html, you might have warned me about the X rated images on the contact page  :o :o

Nick appears to have escaped from the corner
Gordon

chester

This little drop bottom concrete cart caught my eye.

eTraxx

Chester. That reminds me just a bit of the coal carts kit from the Train Troll. While I have no intention of using them to transport coal .. I think they will work great for my coke oven bank (I got three). There was an "ash boy" .. "After all the ovens included in the day's run have been drawn, a cart is driven along the block of ovens, and the ashes and refuse coke are collected from each oven and carted to the ash dump"

Know you model HO. He has a really cool little Fish Cart in that scale ..

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

finescalerr

That is decent modeling. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Ed; Those are some cool little carts.

Here is some more inspiration/reference for small clutter builds.

M

M-Works