• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

These catalogues you have Marc are really useful ... both for ideas and the fact that they give some basic dimensions .............. I can now fill in the gaps on these from my files

I am now trying to track down some copies of similar catalogues or sales literature for stuff produced in the UK .........as somebody has told me we used to build things  :o
Gordon

marc_reusser

Gordon,

Glad they're of use. Have some more mixers to post..just need to reduce and watermark the scans. My problem is that I am starting to get too many of these "general equipment catalogs", and can't remember what's in what (or where I put them). :-\  ::)....plus they are getting rabid with bookmarked pages of "someday" projects.

Those Jaeger mixer images are great. I have been using those exact ones for reference on building the frame and handwheel mech for mine. I think however I am going to have to change it a bit, and use a channel instead of an angle for the main frame runners (I like to avoid wherever possible using the premade styrene angles on small stuff, as the proportions and thicknesses are too off/heavy...and I don't feel a scratched angle will have enough strength/deflection resistance for the superstructure weight, over time).

BTW. Thanks for those Lister images. Wonderful.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Philip Smith

Marc, Those buggies on the previous page are also called georgia buggies. Do you have any photos? they were rubber tired in lieu of the steel wheels, I suppose more modern era :-\

Philip

marc_reusser

Phillip,

Which buggy are you referring to?....the concrete carts?...if so, yes I have one from the c. 1930-40 Honolulu Iron Works catalog, with rubber tires....let me know and I'll post it.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

After working all day today, I took some time to do a quick and dirty little build of the brick cart I posted earlier. Shell is heat formed .010"/.254mm styrene, handles are .8mm brass tubing, wheel, is a cut down Grandt-Line Cable sheave. I'ts still missing the two front legs/stands.  It's nothing great, but it will work fine amongst the weeds, or in a corner with other junk.

Bricks are made from strip styrene, textured with an xacto and liquid cement.

Marc

M-Works

Philip Smith

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 24, 2011, 09:06:21 PM
Phillip,

Which buggy are you referring to?....the concrete carts?...if so, yes I have one from the c. 1930-40 Honolulu Iron Works catalog, with rubber tires....let me know and I'll post it.

M

yes, the concrete cart & do post a pic please.

thanx...

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 24, 2011, 05:11:17 PM
I think however I am going to have to change it a bit, and use a channel instead of an angle for the main frame runners (I like to avoid wherever possible using the premade styrene angles on small stuff, as the proportions and thicknesses are too off/heavy...and I don't feel a scratched angle will have enough strength/deflection resistance for the superstructure weight, over time).

Marc

Having just started in 1/35 I have noticed this as well, tried to get round it on the trolley by using paper but its not ideal, tried 5 & 10 thou strip joined but a shade too much liquid glue and you end with a molten mass and I have found it difficult to keep everything straight. Just ordered up some 2 x 1 mm brass "l" shaped and some 4 x 2 mm channel to see if it is fine enough - never been very good working with brass but will give it a try.

Your brick cart looks good, I was thinking of using brass shim for the concrete cart so that I could add some dings to it but maybe heat formed 10 thou card is the way to go.

Glad I am not the only one who has had to work everyday of the holiday weekend  ???
Gordon

marc_reusser

Gordon; I would probably use the plasticard for the concrete cart as well...but then I can't solder worth beans. ::) :)

Philip; attached is the cart from the HIW catalog. HTH.

Marc

M-Works

finescalerr

Marc, why is it that whenever you build one of your little weekend projects everyone gets inspired? -- Russ

marc_reusser

Thanks Russ....but I'm just acting on my inspiration from Gordon's work...and trying to keep up with him....otherwise he'll build all the cool stuff before I even get a shot at it. ;D

Marc

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Marc, your "quick and dirty" little brick cart looks pretty darn good!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

fspg2

Frithjof

Gordon Ferguson

Quote from: marc_reusser on April 25, 2011, 02:26:38 PM
....otherwise he'll build all the cool stuff before I even get a shot at it. ;D

Marc

I wish, think I am more the follower than leader  ;)

Marc, could you give the rest of us a few hints as to how you produced the really neat little brackets for holding handle on to the body of the cart. I use various ways of doing it ranging from just gluing and bending in situ, to moulding strips around a former but none seem to work consistently .......... yours seem sort of nicely "mass produced".

Gordon

marc_reusser

Frithjof; That is a cool picture. Thanks for posting it and the link.

Gordon; Thanks, but I just sort of winged them, and got lucky. IMO they are a bit too thick (.010") I should have made them out of strips of Magic-Sculpt...but didn't have the time.  I basically took  a piece of the rod and bent a short strip of.010x.040 over it...this gave me the general center bend, then I laid the rod on my cutting matt/work-surface, laid the now unbent strip over the rod...so that the center of the pre-bent area was on the rod, then used a pair of pointed tweezers (the inside edges of the jaws on these tweezers has a slight radius on them so it doesnt cut/indent the strip) I tightend the strip down around the rod, so that I got a nice tight fit around the rod, and crisp bend at the work surface. I then  simply trimmed the strip on each side to give the flange size I wanted, then blued it in place on the model (the rod handles had already beed tacked in place with ACC). The first three brackets worked easily on the first try, but the fourth one must have torn/split about 4 times while bending over the rod during forming, or when the glue touched it while setting in place,....finally it worked...but then when I tried to soften/form it a bit after it was placed, it developed a small split...hence the grey putty on the lower bracket in the image. (This is where a PE part would really have been welcome  ::) ;D )

Marc

M-Works

jacq01

Another methode to make this type of brackets;

fix the fitting rod to a smooth surface, take a suitable ( pending scale) strip of Evergreen styrene,  hold it over the rod and warm/heat it gently with a soldering iron.
   the styrene will fold over the rod and the "ears" are formed by pushing the strip into shape on the smooth surface with a small screwdriver, dril the holes for the bolts/rivets and the          bracket is ready.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.