• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

shropshire lad

Marc ,

It is a pity you live in the wrong part of the World as you could have come over to my house in July and seen the FINISHED ( no pressure eh Gordon ) road roller in the flesh . This is because my new BEST  friend Gordon is coming along with my other BEST friends Barney and James to discuss important things .

Such a shame you can't come as you could have been one of my other BEST friends !

Nick

marc_reusser

Sorry...I already have 152 Best Friends (or so facebook wants me to believe)  ;D ;D ;D ;D

July hmmm.....tempting....unfortunately my travel/vacation schedule for the year has already been decreed by a higher power.  ;D  So unless it's work related it's no additions are permitted.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

I would have thought "speciality brickwork", twisty brick chimneys, etc would have easily justified a business(tax deductible) trip.

Although from the sound of it, its getting awfully crowded with all his best friends ;D
Gordon

marc_reusser

I have been informed that there is a difference between "tax deductable" and "paid/reimbursed by client".....the first not being an acceptable reason to extend the decree.

Marc

M-Works

shropshire lad

Oh well , never mind , we'll just have to try and make the most of it without you. Obviously it'll be a lesser gathering but we'll do our best ,

Nick

Ray Dunakin

Those are both great rollers with lots of character! I'm especially fond of the little blue one. As Dallas points out, it's rather cute.

Looks like you're off to a good start on the green one already.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Gordon Ferguson

Well Marc as you do not seem to have a claim on the "blue one, I'm taking silence in a positive way ;) it may well end up as a companion piece.

Anyway surprised that you did not just lay the law down and say you were going .............. so are you just like the rest of us after all  :D
Gordon

lab-dad

Is there one "go to" place for 1/35 or (dare I say) 1/32 bits pieces & clutter?
I want to finish the corliss diorama and would like to get some barrells, tools, and stuff at a one stop shop as I will likely not do this scale again (yea right)
Appreciate the help.

May be once I finish the Willy I can post some pics here of my 1/32 crap.
-Mj

Malachi Constant

Quote from: lab-dad on May 28, 2011, 01:34:47 PM
Is there one "go to" place for 1/35 or (dare I say) 1/32 bits pieces & clutter?
I want to finish the corliss diorama and would like to get some barrells, tools, and stuff at a one stop shop as I will likely not do this scale again (yea right)
Appreciate the help.

May be once I finish the Willy I can post some pics here of my 1/32 crap.
-Mj

Well, there are a million separate makers and such ...

Think the best / biggest selection I've found in one place is BnA Model World in Australia:
http://www.bnamodelworld.com/military-section/diorama/scale-135/misc?&page=1

Default shows prices in Australian dollars (AUD), but you can change that.  Site shows whether or not items are in stock.  Ordered from them a couple of times ... take about 10-14 days to US.

Panther-Models in the UK has a decent variety, including Plus Model items:
http://panther-models.com/

Note that if you're in the US, you'll get the lower ("ex VAT") price shown.  Ordered from the too ... takes about 5-7 days to US.

In the US, Scale Hobbyist has a decent selection, discount prices and quick delivery:
http://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/Objects/index.php

Page above will take you to "objects" (details) and you can sort from there.  Ordered lots of things from them.  Quick service.  Also, there's an option to "Add to Watch List" (instead of Add to Cart) on the various pages -- if you do that, then you can sort of bookmark items that you "might" want and then see them all in one list.  You don't have to log-in to use the feature -- it just creates a cookie with the info.

These guys all have 1/35 stuff ... maybe some 1/32.   Might just have to bug Mr. Coldicott to make everything you need in 1/32!  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

One of the biggest suppliers that I have found in the US, with very good service and selection is:

Great Models  http://www.greatmodels.com/

They're pretty much the only broadscope US supplier that I use, other than Michigan Toy Soldier.

Otherwise, and as always, I highly recommend Jadar Hobbies in Poland. Hard to near impossible to beat their selection and prices (and that's including shipping that they are almost always less)...they take paypal, and credit cards. Service has always been A+ from them.

Lastly I would recommend Hobby Link Japan....they carry a lot of stuff that is hard to find and that others don't carry.

Marc

M-Works

mad gerald

Quote from: gfadvance on May 27, 2011, 07:45:55 AM

Just to give you CAD, Sketchup, etc  users a laugh here was my first working drawing for it

Gordon,

not laughing, 'cause I too do not use any CAD, Sketchup etc. ... yet ;) ..., but wondering, how you manage to cut everything in shape so well?

Do you use only styrene strips ... or do you cut the strips from styrene sheets? And how you get your cuts straight and "left and right parts" so equal, that they are congruent with each other when glueing them together? Even when I use a steel ruler and a cutter, the cuts sometimes seem not to be straight cut or the parts seem to differ about a half millimeter.  ??? ::)

Therefore I tried to make drawings with MS PowerPoint®, printing them out on selfadhesive paper, putting the drawing on a styrene sheet, then cutting along the lines and pulling of the selfadhesive paper again ...

BTW: For the round parts you use a circular cutter, I assume ... ?!

Kind regards

Gordon Ferguson

Hi Gerald,

just goes to prove that photos can lie ........... in real life there are plenty on non-identical bits and bits not at right angle believe me.

I tend to use mostly  pre-cut micro strip suppliers Evergreen, Plastistruct ......... occasionally I cut my own but cutting say a 1mm wide strip from 5 thou plastic card is not particularly easy and it can be difficult to stop strip curling. for identical parts I tend to either use a rubber cement or double sided tape to stick 2 bits of card together and then cut the bit out, sand and adjust then pull 2 pieces apart. Most circular parts cut out using dividers with sharpened points, score plastic and then snap free.

Following may help

No intention of doing SBS on "roller" as mostly its pretty straight forward but thought the wheels might be of interest and may help somebody out there ...... no idea how but maybe.

The wheels are just a standard build , 2 discs cut out plastic card , axle tube and the outer skin made by pre-formed card.

The only thing I would mention here is that you should never leave a completely enclosed space when using plastic card and solvent glues, either leave a gap somewhere or drill a hole for ventilation as the vapours can continue to soften the plastic for a number of days in an enclosed space.

For this model model I wanted to form an inner radiused curve on the inside of the wheels so I insert the outer piece from the front of the wheel.

This is the male mould I used , made out of 2 discs of plastic card and soft balsa sheet. Sanded to profile and about 5 thou smaller than the outer radius of wheel  and then the balsa hardened off with superglue.

The female part of the mould was just a circular hole, plastic was then clamped over the hole , normally I heat this in an oven but for this small part I just carefully warmed it over the gas ring and then pushed male mould through hole.

Moulded plastic is then roughly trimmed ,slipped into wheel, glued and finally trimmed and finally sanded to shaped - then detail parts added 

Gordon

mad gerald

Quote from: gfadvance on May 29, 2011, 05:37:56 AM
just goes to prove that photos can lie ........... in real life there are plenty on non-identical bits and bits not at right angle believe me.

... phew! ...  :o ... makes me feel a whole lotta better ...  ;D

Thanks also for your explanations and the "nearly SBS" ... very much appreciated!

Massive cheers

finescalerr

Very good fabrication. Traditional methods still work just fine, thanks. -- Russ