• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Quote from: Franck Tavernier on December 14, 2011, 12:07:02 PM
Quote from: Franck Tavernier on March 27, 2011, 02:01:46 PM
Nick, if you want a set of spikes (2500) I can buy it for you, I owe you this favor!

Franck

Hey Guy's,

Good news, the tire-fonds are back!

http://www.octantenligne.com/downloads/recto.pdf

2000 pieces for 19.30€, about $25.82  ;)

Franck

Franck,

I bought three packets of them when I was at Railexpo last month . One of the packets is heading for Australia . I meant to say something earlier , but didn't get around to it .
    They are certainly small and they are probably seen best in a photo .

I have tried some out on a Tom Yorke turntable I have and they do look good . I can't show a picture of them yet as it is in the "paintshop" at the moment .

At the same show Zebulon were selling lots of Forex , the foamboard that Emmanuel uses . However, I didn't get any as I can't see myself ever using it . plus there wasn't room in my suitcase .

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the other chaps ,

Nick

Franck Tavernier

Nick, glad to know that you have found them at RailExpo!

I'm waiting now for your pictures on the Tom yorke turntable  ;)

Emmanuel uses too formboard from Canson called Domino...

Franck

Gordon Ferguson

Nick,

I hope one of those packets is for Barney ............... he's spent a fortune looking for alternatives!!

Now before pictures of turntables , how about cranes  ;D
Gordon

shropshire lad

Quote from: gfadvance on December 16, 2011, 01:13:35 PM
Nick,

I hope one of those packets is for Barney ............... he's spent a fortune looking for alternatives!!

Now before pictures of turntables , how about cranes  ;D

It never occurred to me that Barnabas might want some . I might delve into one of the packets and count out a hundred or so for him !

The crane is in the same paintshop as the turntable . After having had an Iwata airbrush and compressor for four years I have finally plucked up the courage to use it . However, I thought it best not to experiment on the Dodge , so I've been practicing on some oil drums and the turntable first . It's getting there , I've got the rust base coat on , I just need to do the AK/hairspray coat and sort out the top coat and I'll be away .

Nick

Gordon Ferguson

Well its not big, and its not clever  ............... but it is finished and its definitely clutter. Based on this as I needed a few bits of junk for a little diorama

Square rod of plastic, plus some aluminum tubing .... approx. 6 x 6 x 8 mm

Added some paint and lenses

Hopefully will look OK discarded amongst the grass and weeds
Gordon

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Andi Little

Now "Watcha" up to?.................. good though.
KBO..................... Andi.

shropshire lad

Quote from: gfadvance on February 20, 2012, 02:54:03 PM
Well its not big, and its not clever  ............... but it is finished and its definitely clutter. Based on this as I needed a few bits of junk for a little diorama

Square rod of plastic, plus some aluminum tubing .... approx. 6 x 6 x 8 mm

Added some paint and lenses

Hopefully will look OK discarded amongst the grass and weeds

I remember those lights . One of the " must have" objects in every students bedroom !

Glad to see you're managing to do something inspite of your lame paw .

Nick

Gordon Ferguson

Sorry mucking up this thread, I had posted the wrong photos.... now corrected but it has not replaced them in Nick's reply?

Anyway, Nick ..... yes I remember "collecting " them on a Friday night
Gordon

michael mott

Those lamps had a very particular smell. they look great Gordon.

Michael

Gordon Ferguson

Needed some unwind time last night so played with trying to replicate an old stone wall as found............. as they say "up North"

Used a piece of plaster cast on a base of crumpled foil to give some starting texture. It was very quickly carved, and it shows but I know what not to do next time and then basic stone colouring added using oils/sponge. Because I had only very lightly sealed the plaster the oils dried ultra fast and matt .......... additional colouring was added with Gouache paint and the same was used to try and add some of the spotting/lichen you find on these walls, The Gouache paint allowed me to play/soften some of these effects with a damp brush.

Comments/critique please

I will probably incorporate this test piece into a small base to allow me to practice my non-existent grass/foliage  techniques .... which might also allow me to hide some of discrepancies in the carving 
Gordon

Andi Little

Great little project Gordon .......... looks very promising, and pretty realistic too.

Just a couple of observations; I think the "capstones" or the vertical stones on the top - should be thinner, half as thin again. Not even sure if that's prototypical, but it sits in my memory better. And regards the wall itself, be aware of "jigsawing" the stones together, extremely rarely does this happen. Only reason this is such a "thing" for me is that my students all at some time or other try to paint dry stone walls [they are particularly picturesque] and this is a common pitfall, it would almost certainly be beneficial to work from a reference image [ something I rarely - or am usually to idle to do].

That said - consider this idea thieved  :P
KBO..................... Andi.

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks Andi, knew the carving did not look right but could not describe what was wrong with it  "jigsawing" describes the problem perfectly ............... and I thought I was looking and working from a reference picture .

Looking not Observing
Gordon

Gordon Ferguson

Found a good reference picture .................. which demonstrates exactly Andi's point and how bad my carving really is.

Back to the drawing board
Gordon

james_coldicott

Hi Gordon,

love the colour and texture of the wall. I was trying to think of ways to explain how the carving could be made a little better. I've scanned a quick sketch of the centre section of your wall which contains possibly the most unusual shaped stone which I've highlighted in red. Other strange shapes come as a result of carving mortar lines or 'joints' instead of carving 'stones'. I've sketched the same basic shapes on the right, hopefully that shows what I mean. Also added a pic of some of my own sculpting which illustrates the idea. Rather than carve a joint between stones focus on getting a nicely shaped stone then carve the stone next to it. Your mortar lines will end up varied in thickness and all your stones will be naturally shaped.

Also remember that stones would placed so that vertical joints are staggered (like the shaded stone in the right hand sketch) and courses will follow basically horizontal lines. I think your reference shot reveals that too.

Hope this helps a little. I'm no expert and I'm sure others here will be able to add better advice more concisely than I can...

James