• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

How about challenging  the Gn15 lot to an inter-forum competition ( possibly a first ? ) to build a small works crane , like what they have already started ? I haven't a clue how it would be judged , I haven't got that far , but food for thought maybe ?

Marc ,

Thanks for all the photos , there should be enough info there to cobble something together .

Nick

Ray Dunakin

Here are some pics of a small crane I've always wanted to model. I found it on a maintenance spur in Carrizo Gorge, along the San Diego & Arizona railroad, back in the late 1970's. Unfortunately the mechanism is missing so that would have to be freelanced.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

MrBrownstone

Nice... Very Nice! Ray, I like the way it turrets

Thanks for showing those photos.

Mike

marc_reusser

Quote from: gfadvance on November 18, 2009, 08:57:30 AM
OK Marc firstly apologies................ should have asked first but worked on the basis "thats its easier to get get forgiveness than it is to get permission"

Posted on the Gnatterbox, http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5833&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=  your pictures of the cranes........ I least had the decency to accredit them to you.
Very quickly this has turned into a little challenge to produce a crane or lifting device .....closing date  Feb 18th 2010.

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5908&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Know you occasionally look in/post on the Gnatterbox so feel free to join in .......... like me you probable need another project /scale :) 

Gordon,

No apologies or concerns necessary...Thats' why I post this stuff...for others to use and have fun with. Though kind of you, I don't really deserve any credit, as I am unfortunately unable to do the same, and credit where/from whom, the photos originally came from.  I have been collecting images from the web, or sent to me by others for years, and I just sort of plonked them on a big external drive.....so there they all have been accumulating with no order, and no recollection/notes of where they were from.

The challenge looks quite interesting...and tempting, but I think the timeframe is too short for me for the one I was considering, as it has enough detail to slow me down.  ....but just in case.......I see that the wagon dimensions are scaled for GN15.....would it be the same dimension for 1/35? (not relatively scaled, but the same 54 x32 or whatever that was?).......would 1/35 even be allowed?.....BTW. I would gladly volunteer to Judge for you.....but that might be your worst nightmare ;) ;D ;D ;D  You would definitely have to come up with some judging criteria to keep me in line  ;D

BTW, Gordon,.....and quite hush-hush, nudge, nudge....I have an ace up my sleeve, and could help you gain quite the edge if you plan to build the greenish/mossy crane.....I have several more images of that one ...including some detail close-ups.  ::)  :-X.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Ray,

That is one cool little crane. Thanks for posting it. (and thanks for water-marking the pics...now I will know where they came from when I dig theem out of my Hard Drive later on.  :) )

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Here is a model of a small crane someone built....again not sure who or where it came from, or what scale, but I believe/seem to recall,  it came from Daniel Caso's 750yM-2  Argentine group, and this model was built using paper.

M

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Neat model!

Here's a little pillar crane I built for my Cliffside Mine. It's purely freelanced so probably not super-accurate:

Some of the gears came from an old camera. The larger gears came from my old printer, and I used a Dremel to carve the spokes.

Ray Dunakin's World

NORCALLOGGER

Ray,
I like your freelanced crane.  I love the pictures of the old SD&A hoist makes one wonder what could have powered it?

To deviate even further from rail mounted hoists/cranes here is a pic of a stiff leg derrick with a hand crab I scratched for the iron works loading dock.

Later
Rick Marty

marc_reusser

Rick,

The crane is beautifully done.  I assume you scratch-built all the hardware. When did you build this.....the pics of the building in the  '1:1 Weathering' thread did not have this in the photo?

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Marc,

Thanks for generous support............... would definitely be interested in seeing some more shots of the "green/mossy" crane although very tempted to do my interpretation of the first one you posted.

Probably more stupid than brave if you are going to have ago at this one as well!

Judging ........... may be very tempted as I for one like your critiques, most people talk about positive criticism but few can do it and most of us, including me, don't really enjoy receiving it.
But if you take a deep breath (and don't automatically go into defensive mode) and then think about what has been said and why then it is very useful in focusing on what can be improved the next time, or trying a different technique which surely has to be the reason for sharing your work and not just to receive praise !

Anyway lets see what develops ... its 3 months you can do it ... or is it the implication behind a closing date that one has to finish  ::)   
Gordon

Gordon Ferguson

Sorry Marc, you asked

The challenge looks quite interesting...and tempting, but I think the timeframe is too short for me for the one I was considering, as it has enough detail to slow me down.  ....but just in case.......I see that the wagon dimensions are scaled for GN15.....would it be the same dimension for 1/35? (not relatively scaled, but the same 54 x32 or whatever that was?).......would 1/35 even be allowed?.....

Marc, me I enjoy looking at quality models in whatever scale so build it in 1/35 as thats what you are comfortable with .. at the moment.

54 mm x 32 mm or  2 1/8" x 1 /1/4" very approximate ......... do you want to use same dimensions? its your model let you make the decision ......... there are enough rules in the world without me adding anymore :)
Gordon

Chuck Doan

Some nice crane work guys! Great prototype pics too.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ray Dunakin

I'm sure enjoying all these photos of small cranes! Thanks for posting them.

Rick, your stiff leg derrick is a beauty!

Ray Dunakin's World

Gordon Ferguson

Question for you all, been studying a magnified version of this photo

The wagon behind the crane, any thoughts as to what it is ?  generator , compressor thinking along these lines as they appear to be "cooling air/cooling vents at the front.

Anybody got any other bright ideas
Gordon