• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shropshire lad

Quote from: lab-dad on December 21, 2012, 06:15:13 AM
WOO HOO!!!
eat my dust boys!
"extra credit!" who's your daddy now!

-Mj ;D

Calm down , Jonesy , we would have got there eventually .

Yeah , but have you made a 1:1 curved door frame ? Well , I've made two garage doors frames using this method , so there !

Nick

finescalerr

This thread needs more modeling and fewer wisecracks. (I know, people who live in glass houses....) The potential for creativity here is great. Has anyone else done cool stuff with styrene? -- Russ

eTraxx

Depends on your definition of cool .. have these .. while not exactly cool .. a little un-warm perhaps

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Malachi Constant

Make stuff out of styrene?  Sure!  Why, I reckonspect I've made just about everything but the kitchen sink ... oh ... wait a minute ...
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Malachi Constant

Why bother with conductive wiring when you can have styrene instead!  ;D

Malachi Constant

Coffee mugs ... picture frames ... even the trash cans ... sometimes it seems the whole dang world is made of styrene!  Heck, I'll bet even the idiot who put graffiti on the trash can was using a plastic can of spray paint.  ;D

Malachi Constant

Need fancy woodwork?  Try styrene instead!  (Corbels)

Malachi Constant

Quote from: finescalerr on December 21, 2012, 12:23:18 PM
Has anyone else done cool stuff with styrene? -- Russ

Oops, you said COOL stuff ... well, no air-conditioning here ... will a belt-driven window fan do?  (Mix of styrene, paper, wire and laser bits)  8)

finescalerr

Nice work, Dallas, but go stand in the corner. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Ed, those valves look very cool to me!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Lawton Maner

Sounds as though Uncle Russ is more then a bit jealeous.

marc_reusser

Some progress and messing around with painting and coloring on the post, bricks, and kerb stones.........but I am just not "feeling" it.  :-\

M

[EDIT:]

I forgot to add the ubiquitous "product" photo. These were all the items used to do the post, other than Base colors:

Steps:
1.) Base colors: AK  "Chipping Color" followed by a dusting of AK "Old Rust"
2.) Mr. Hobby matte "Topcoat"
3.) AK Chipping Fluid
4.) Post Color: a mix of Tamiya Yellow & Orange/
5.) Mapping after chipping: a mix of Vallejo acrylics.
6.) AK "Winter Streaking Grime" applied with a brush, and manipulated with some 7.) Odorless thinner, and a make-up sponge.
8.) AK "Dark Steel" pigment carefully applied and variously burnished, at wear areas, and larger chipped areas.
9.) Light dusting of AK "Medium Rust" pigment on the interior of the post, and at some of the large chiiped areas....then blown and carefully brushed away, to leave only a very light residue at the chipped areas.
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

The post looks perfect. Maybe all the stone and brick need is some highlighting to change the dark, somewhat monotone coloration and then your usual finishing touches. -- Russ

danpickard

Thinking it might still feel wrong because despite being aged, it still looks clean.  I have to see the influence from Narayan in this little piece, and think about the small observations in his pieces that make you look longer and a scene that would be totally overlooked everyday in 1:1 world.  A few stray leaves, bit of dust, few scraps of rubbish stuck in cracks or up against the corners, all will break up the apparent starkness of this early stage....big picture Marc, big picture...see the fuuuuture

Cheers,
Dan

marc_reusser

Thanks Dan; yes, I agree.....I am holding out that it will all come together in the end....so as Andi always says KBO.

Last night spent some time working on the concrete coloring. Also added some stickers to the post, and some painted markings on the kerb stones. The oil paints and washes have started to give it a bit of a sheen, so looks like I may have to come in with some matte clear to knock it down, before the next step; I usually don't like to do that, but it may also help protect the coloring so far, from the dirt and pigment to come

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works