• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

Ahhh...equipment!
They look good, man is that lathe tiny!

In the compressor I would make the cylinder heads darker from the heat and progressively lighter toward the crankcase. Also (on mine here at the shop) the top surfaces are covered with dark "dust" and just plain yuck.

On the oil tank some fresh spilled oil (artists oil will work good; mix some brown and black) and some of the AK oil stains too.

And then may be some unifying dust on both.

-Marty

Sailor

Marty:

Thank you for your input!

Pelle
Pelle

Alexandre

This big tank is promising.
I'd add some chips (smaller) with a sponge or a 000 brush to vary a bit with your larger worn area. At the moment I think this area is a bit too uniform in the chipping. With a sponge/foam and both greens and dark brown this could add more realism and interest.
And just like Marty said, fresh oil leaks.
AK products such as engine oil, engine grime or dark brown wash are practical for this, but you can also have perfect results by mixing your own oil paints.
You could also mix some dust pigments to it, to show the glued grime and dust by the oil leaks.

marc_reusser

Had no place to drop this..so thought I'd put them in this thread.

Had so much fun with the leaf litter on my last build, decided to use some of the left-over and  add it to some home-made pine needle litter, to finish off the weathering on one of my 1/48 scale "shelf-queens".....this one being about 8 years or more

....made a quick base for it as well.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Andi Little

Great litter [How un-PC is that]? ... Base is dead FAB.
KBO..................... Andi.

marc_reusser

M-Works

danpickard

A simple little touch that adds a lot.  Idea filed.  Thanks Marc. 
And ditto the base...very neat and simple, making the model the obvious focus.

Cheers,
Dan

finescalerr

Very realistic ... except for the missing tree that dropped the leaves. -- Russ

Gordon Ferguson

Spent a couple of hours last night trying move from a theory discussed with Marc to an actual example.

These are approximately 1cm square. On the left was an attempt to model an internal concrete support with a polished or plaster top surface. The right is meant to be an external concrete post
These made from expanded foam, the type used as insulation in houses and my drystone wall, with the reinforced wire added at the end, the "plaster" was made from a fine water soluble modelling filler finely applied but with no attempt to completely cover the total surface

As I said very quickly done and just built and painted from what was lying around on the bench, there are a lot of faults but think the basic concept will work and with a bit more care a realistic finish could be obtained.

Gordon

Andi Little

Very good ... and although I'm sure you/someone could pick it to bits; I recognised it for what it was immediately.
Shows a lot of potential for uber realism but would work pretty much as it stands for most lesser folk.
KBO..................... Andi.

lab-dad

My only concern is the uniformity of the "concrete"
I think using plaster with the aggregate added would yield better results..... ???
At a scale distance though they are very cool!
-Mj

Gordon Ferguson

Inclined to agree with you Marty, had slight fixation about trying out the foam.

Looking at them after 24 hours beginning to realise just how bad they are ....... Back to the drawing board !
Gordon

lab-dad

After 24 hours I think the one on the left with the  polished or plaster top surface has promise.

I wonder if you could "embed" some small aggregate in the foam before covering?

Marty

marc_reusser

A small Sunday relaxer and time waster build. Had all the extra pieces and debris left over from the last build, so decided I could use it all to build a display base to use for the NNGC.

M-Works

Hydrostat

Marc,

on first sight I thought it was a prototype picture. The colour of the long time rusted rails is spot on - as the concrete and the greenery is, too. Having had a longer look at it the leafs reveal it as a model. I can't tell you how to improve it. It's their thickness and maybe smoothness. Still searching an adequate material for myself.

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"