• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lab-dad

shropshire lad

I can't remember . Have we seen this one before ?

NORCALLOGGER

Thanks Marc,

I built that 2-3 years back when I built the iron works building.
The buildings mostly sit out 24-7-365 some of the more fragile detail parts and figures
are only set out when operating, open house, club meetings, etc.  the crane and crates fall into that catagory so don't have the weathered look.

If I remember correctly the crane is 100% scratch except for pullys,bolts with nuts, and a couple of the gears on the crab. All the metal fitmets are brass and the blocks are sheet lead, that was to have the weight to hold the lines taunt.  The crab design as well as the derrick design were taken from an old AH&D catalog.

Later
Rick Marty

marc_reusser

Thanks for the info Marty. Must be delicate work placing, removing and storing those fine details.

M

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Gordon,

Here are two images of drawings (found on them web), that might be of use for the guys doing the GnB Challenge.  They show/are std. gauge cranes, but the concepts could easily be scaled to Gn.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

Gordon,

Here are the rest of the shots I have on that mossy crame..as well as one that shows that wierd car behind it that one of the guys on GnB asked about.

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

The other 2 pics.

M

M-Works

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: gfadvance on November 19, 2009, 11:02:01 AM
The wagon behind the crane, any thoughts as to what it is ?  generator , compressor thinking along these lines as they appear to be "cooling air/cooling vents at the front.
Maybe it's a rolling "kazi" what will the air vents & all... a more "private" arrangement than the ones that Gordon built...

Paul

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks for the additional info Marc,

To return the favour here is another one of the "green crane" that one of the guys on Gnatterbox posted

Gordon

Franck Tavernier

Marc,

Tom Yorke carried out an excellent drawing of this crane :

marc_reusser

Gordon: Thanks for the pic, a good additional view for info.

Franck:  Thanks for the plans...I was not aware that Tom had done one.

Thought this might be of interest......while waiting for some stuff to dry, I decided to play around with some Milliput and try to make some draped fabric (rags, tarp).....now figure guys have been doing this forever...but this is my first time...thought I better get some practice since I will likely be needing some amongst and over the clutter.

Basically they are made of two compund Milliput rolled out on a glass plate. To keep it from sticking to the glass or the steel rod (roller), I used talcum powder.

(Sorry, image is a bit over exposed)

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

I also had some time to play around with a gantry crane that has always fascinated me. I found the top image below on the web some time ago. If I recall correctly it is in France somewhere.

I had some leftover track sections from a Trumpeter 1/35 scale RR kit, and thought they would be a good starting point.  Unfortunately the Trumpeter track pieces are miserable to work with, as they have a deep ejector mark every 1.5 cm or so down the entire length of the track on one side.

The height of the piece at this point is taller than what I would use (will be cut to fit the scene...probably somewhere around the figures waist height.) Thewierd blobby thing part way up on the left post is what in the image appears to be a pretty ugly/heavy weld seam....I used some stretched sprue, a Mission-Models micro chisel and liquid solvent to mimmic the weld.

I honestly don't know if I will have use or a place for this in the end scene....but I have been wanting to build it, so I figure I might as well get it out of my system.  ;)

M

M-Works

finescalerr

Even your micro-models are inspirational. Disgusting! -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

Nice work, and that gantry crane is another cool prototype! I like the buildings behind them too.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Something that I find is often missing in scenes are things are the simple ubiquitous things like loose nuts, bolts, and washers.......real shops have bins , cans, and boxes of these....they are found on the floor/ground, in corners, laying on wall framing blocking, in tool boxes, etc........yet few modelers ever show them.....

...so in hopes of not having this mistake myself, I decided to order some pieces that I thought would be perfect for this purpose from Vectorcut.com (DaKra here in the forum)......though they are listet as HO, I found them to be perfect for 1/35 and quite suitable even for 1/48.

The photo below shows the Vectorcut fret, next to one I had readily on hand from MIG Productions (Aber, and Eduard also make PE sets...but the MIG one is by far better because there is no need to cut the pieces from the fret and the etching is sharper)......this post is not meant to compare the Vectorcut to the MIG set as they are not the same thing/and material....but merely to show size and options. For me each has its unique uses/applications. (Note: In my image the VC fret seems a bit blurry...this is caused by my camera for some reason...a good closeup image can be seen at the bottom of VC's page here: http://www.vectorcut.com/accessories.htm

The VC fret/parts scales out to .015" thick.....so about 1/2" in 1:35 scale, and 3/4" in 1/48. (The MIG Scales out to .007" thick) These would work in larger scales as well, since nuts and bolts come in all sizes  ;)

What really intrigued me when I saw the VZ part was the fact that there were washers and nuts with holes in them....so they could be used for exactly what I need.....or they could be used with styrene rod, to make loose/hanging/protruding bolts and washers,  or nuts and washers that have long bolt shafts protruding from them.....more details often not modeled.

...anyhow.....just thought this might be of interest. I will definitely be ordering more.

MR

M-Works