• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Shucks Barney...you're going to make me blush. Thanks for the kind words. Love your real one.

How I did it is somewhat convoluted...I was trying some new things, as this dio requires numerous different rustes surfaces/finishes due to the different steels and wear.

On these pieces the steps were:

Grey Mr Surfacer Primer
Base color a mix of Tamiya; Brown, Hull Red, Yellow, Black
Dampened and ground sea-salt applied
Airbrushed over with 'Ammo' "Tracks Rust" acrylic
Salt washed off
Very liberally applied dirt brown pigment mix (no mfr on this mix, as it is basically just a concoction/result of leftover pigment and pigment dropping from other projects, that I throw/save into various "color range" containers.....this was piled into the recess of the webbing under the wheel, where wind and time blown dirt would accumulate.
Water was then applied to flow and set the pigment into the areas and let dirt
Once dry, some excess tapped off, and some adjustments done using water....one dry this was slightly softened/blended at some edges.
An oil based Dust colored wash run into/around some details/edges/items.
A light finger tip application, and artists stump burnishing, of AK "Dark Steel" pigment, at the top/raised portion of the gear ring, and at the teeth ridges/points.
A random application of a random mix of pigments: MIG "Allied Fading Green", my a medium rust color (this was another of my leftover pigment concoctions), and some of the original dirt colored pigment concoction.
All was fixed in place with AK "Pigment Fixer"

Sound like a lot more work and steps than it is.....it took about 1.5 hours to do, start to finish...including plenty of breaks to stare at it and wonder what to do next.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Oh go on Barney, you know you want to do all these steps , add all those pigments , etc, etc ........ So much more creative than OD or khaki , and you do do complicated now

Look forward to seeing your example soon :D :D
Gordon

Barney

Humbrol Rules -Enamel of course just stocked up with 6 pots of green and khaki
But and there is always a but did buy some Tamiya bought it home in a brown paper bag and I used it with some good results thanks Mark for the info looks straight forward enough
Barney 

Ray Dunakin

Amazing. No one would ever guess that gear was plastic.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Thanks Ray.

Finally startingto add nature.

M-Works

Hydrostat

Simply: Wow. That's amazing!

Volker
I'll make it. If I have to fly the five feet like a birdie.
I'll fly it. I'll make it.

The comprehensive book about my work: "Vollendete Baukunst"

Malachi Constant

It needs one more speck of dirt over on that side, just above the thing there ... otherwise, looking pretty darned good!  ;)  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

It seems to be shaping up. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Thanks. Slowly getting there.

M-Works

chester

Super Marc, curious to know whether you had to strip factory paint off of the wheel as it came from the package.

marc_reusser

Thanks Chester.

To be honest, it never even occurred to me that it was painted...I thought it was that plastic color....but now that you mention it, I guess it was painted. I lightly sanded the raised rim and center rim on some 400, to get them into the same plane, and I used my fiberglass pencil to lightly dull/rough the other surfaces, to help the primer stick better.

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Dang, where's the Like button?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Xavier Alvarez

Scratchman

Gordon Ferguson

Not to everyone's taste I realise  ::) , but 1/35 scale discarded cigarette butts

Gordon