• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZnKY

I just happen to have an old safe in my shop, complete with pinstripes and wheels.
Most of the decoration is on the interior, and the exterior of mine is pretty rough.

Let me know if you want more pictures or dimensions.

Eric Zabilka
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

EZnKY

And here's one of the front...
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

chester

Nice ending to the wheelbarrow project Gordon. And that has to be the first 'safe' modeling project I've ever seen.

Gordon Ferguson

Eric,

thanks for the photos, now if you can just flip it over and photograph the bottom so I can see how the wheels/supports are fixed on , that would be great ;D ;D ;D.

Or if you could just confirm the diameter of the wheels/castor's that would be almost as good ;)
Gordon

EZnKY

I was going to be mister cleverpants and use a mirror to take a picture of the underside of the safe, but I can't find a mirror big enough to work that doesn't have a frame.  So sorry about that. 
The wheels themselves are 4" in diameter and 1" wide.  The casting that supports each wheel is bolted to the underside of the safe body with three hex bolts.  Judging by how they feel, I'd say the bolt heads are 5/8".
The casting has a triangular shape where it contacts the safe body, so one of the three bolts is right at the corner of the safe, and the other two are at the points of the triangle, about 4" from the corner.  The casting is about 6" wide at the front, and extends a little over 4" back on the sides.

Does this make sense?

If not, let me know and I'll take some photos with a ruler in them...

Eric
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Gordon Ferguson

Eric,

thanks for information and explanation, think I fully understand - we'll know when I build them tonight !
Gordon

Gordon Ferguson

Well Eric, this is how the castors turned out ..... used your dimensions so in 1/24 they are approx 6 x 4 mm, changed the wheel size though tried 4mm but it didn't look right so now they are a fraction under 3mm

Its taken me almost twice as long to build these than it took to do the safe & door!

When everything is dry & hard the whole thing will need a good clean up and I'll try to paint including the pinstriping

Gordon

EZnKY

Gordon - those look great!
You understood my vague description perfectly.

As far as "junk" goes, I applaud your effort at thinking outside the (pinstriped) box!
Eric
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Andi Little

Fabulous job Gordon............

That really looks the part  - looks heavy and tough. Couldn't ask for anything more  - F.A.B.
KBO..................... Andi.

Malachi Constant

Wow, a 1:24 scale safe with "underbody detail" ... guess you'll have to put some broken mirror fragments in the canal underneath the safe so everyone can see that!  ;D  (Looking good)

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Gordon Ferguson

I'm pleased that the safe appeals, thought I would post these 2 pictures before I ruin it while trying to sort out the final paint job.

Its 99% built now, just need to find a brass hand rail knob which I know I put somewhere safe, to make up the handle to go next to the combination dial.  Was going to print of some decals for the name but my printer is not good enough for this size  so used some Slater's letters and then sanded them down a bit.
Still swithering over colour it may be black or a very dark green although have seen some nice examples in a deep maroon colour , finished off with some gold(tarnished) pin striping and letters, silver/steel dial and handle  - not rusty but probably a bit chipped around edges with some scratches on top, sides and on the door ..... thats the mental plan will see what reality actually brings

Ignore the steel hinge pin thats only a temporary fix so I can take door on & off for painting
Gordon

finescalerr

Not bad. Will you put scale dust and cobwebs underneath? -- Russ

NORCALLOGGER

Gordon,
Beautiful job on the safe, can't wait to see the finished (painted and striped) version.
But, This safe in the canal just begs for a back story, why is it there? 
Was it thrown away because the combination was lost or the lock/dial broken?
Was it stolen and cracked or drilled and blown and dumped there?
What happened for this safe to end up where it is?

Just something to think about.
Rick

Gordon Ferguson

Rick,

agree, trying at the moment to develop the next chapter in the back story to "justify" the safe.

If you are interested the overview back story is at the beginning of this thread

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=6778
Gordon

eTraxx

Quote from: gfadvance on August 16, 2010, 12:52:09 AM
Rick,

agree, trying at the moment to develop the next chapter in the back story to "justify" the safe.

If you are interested the overview back story is at the beginning of this thread

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=6778
That's an excellent thread. I followed your link to the doll-house site by way of the brick stencil mention. They have a stencil for rough stone that looks like what I have been looking for - Rough Stone Stencil .. except that it is only available in 1:12 and 1:24. The image shown is for the 1:12 scale stencil and there are 'approximately' 12 stones on a row. At 280mm they would be around 23mm long so say .. and inch. Figure 1:24 would be half that. A half-inch in 1:48 would be two-foot. A bit larger then I need .. darn it. Still .. might be possible to "roll my own". The site states that the stencils are "made from a tough plastic/polyester material" .. so thinking a thin, flexible rubber/poly and a X-Acto knife might work .. I had been looking at replicating a wall constructed similar to the one in this photo and this looks like it would work.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"