• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franck Tavernier

Nick, if you want a set of spikes (2500) I can buy it for you, I owe you this favor!

Franck

jacq01

Nick,

I can order and we share.  €20,- is not much, a couple beers together cost more  :D  ::)

Jacq

Franck and I must have posted the nearly the same time  ;D ;D
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: finescalerr on March 27, 2011, 12:27:19 PM
Stop! Hee-hah! Whoa!

Is that photo of weed grown, dirt ballasted track -- next to a hedge -- real or a model? That's code 70 track and not 35 pound rail? Who built it, Franck -- you? Where is the giveaway that it is a model? Most satisfactory.

Russ

Thanks Russ for the kind words!

Franck

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: W. P. Rayner on March 27, 2011, 12:38:43 PM
That's great Franck... very convincing. You wouldn't by any chance think of doing an SBS on your track laying, ballast and ground cover techniques? I expect there are many here who would find it of great value.

Thanks Paul! No problem, but no scoop here, only real earth, basswood ties, ME code 70 rail, model screw spikes, Mininatur short tufts and real weed tufts on the back ground....

Quote from: W. P. Rayner on March 27, 2011, 12:38:43 PMAs far as dealing the spikes, only when Russ isn't watching...  ;) Maybe what we need is an underground supply line, black market so to speak...  ;D

Paul

If you're interested by these model screw spikes, I can too by it for you...Let me know...

Franck

shropshire lad

Quote from: Franck Tavernier on March 27, 2011, 02:01:46 PM
Nick, if you want a set of spikes (2500) I can buy it for you, I owe you this favor!

Franck

Franck ,

You are a star . I would very much like to take you up on your offer as I am sure that I can use them . However , I cannot for the life of me remember why you owe me a favour , and certainly not to the tune of 20 Euros . I feel I should be in debt to you for creating that wonderful Gmeinder loco , even though you cruelly sold it to Bernard Junk , and posting the photos of the timber track work of the French mining line back in 2008 . I still intend building some sort of layout based around those photos .

Nick

shropshire lad

Quote from: jacq01 on March 27, 2011, 02:02:15 PM
  Nick,

I can order and we share.  €20,- is not much, a couple beers together cost more  :D  ::)

Jacq

Franck and I must have posted the nearly the same time  ;D ;D

Jacq ,

Thanks for the offer . One way or another , either from you or Franck , I would greatly appreciate getting my hands on some . I'm sure there are other people who would also like some .

I can see this 1/35th scale lark becoming the new 0n30 . Except better ,

Nick

Malachi Constant

Franck --

The track you have shown is AMAZING!  I agree with Russ ... is it real or is it model?  No obvious way to tell.  Outstanding!

M'aidez, SVP -- Is this the correct web site for L'Octant:
http://www.octantenligne.com/

It looks right!  ???  But, I have searched the site and the catalogue without finding the PR 102.  Any ideas?

Thank you!
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Frederic Testard

Frederic Testard

marc_reusser

Franck,
That shot looks great. And the spikes are incredible. Hmm...I might have to order some as well. Let me know when you guys figure out who's going to be the distributor ;) ;D.

Nothing big, but started a base today, so I could refresh my skills and experiment with some materials and approaches. Hopefully I will be able to use it as a photo base. Not plannong any structures, just the track, a country dirt road, and some assorted details like signage and a stone distance marker.

Base is 2 sheets of 1" blue foam over 3/4" plywood, wrapped in basswood sheet. Foam was carved with a knife, and some very carefully brushed on MEK; and then painted with a coat of dilluted, and brown tinted Liquitex 'Modelling Paste" (this gives a nice thin "hard-shell" surface; while still wet, I sprinkled some cat litter in the road area to start some adding rocks and texture. After this had dried I did a base application of tile grout in the road area to further shape and form the shape of the ruts and berms. (sorry for the image quality..they were just quick snappies)

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: Malachi Constant on March 27, 2011, 06:58:25 PM
Franck --

The track you have shown is AMAZING!  I agree with Russ ... is it real or is it model?  No obvious way to tell.  Outstanding!

M'aidez, SVP -- Is this the correct web site for L'Octant:
http://www.octantenligne.com/

It looks right!  ???  But, I have searched the site and the catalogue without finding the PR 102.  Any ideas?

Thank you!
Dallas

Hi Dallas,

Thanks for the kind words!

About the French shop, l'Octant, I rang them this afternoon, and bad news, this item is no longer available, the craftsman who made this screw spike does not produce it anymore!

L'Octant said they ask to this craftsman very often, when they will be able to launch a new run, but this craftsman does not answer...Honestly, to be profitable, quantities must be very important...and I think that this craftsman has other things to do...

Franck

Franck Tavernier

Quote from: shropshire lad on March 27, 2011, 03:24:00 PM
Franck ,

You are a star . I would very much like to take you up on your offer as I am sure that I can use them . However , I cannot for the life of me remember why you owe me a favour , and certainly not to the tune of 20 Euros .

Nick, you sent me there are e few years ago, some plaster wall and tufts from a Poland shop samples...

Quote from: shropshire lad on March 27, 2011, 03:24:00 PMI feel I should be in debt to you for creating that wonderful Gmeinder loco , even though you cruelly sold it to Bernard Junk

Ah, ah, it's life, I sold the Gmeinder and the Deutz because I needed money...

Quote from: shropshire lad on March 27, 2011, 03:24:00 PM...and posting the photos of the timber track work of the French mining line back in 2008 . I still intend building some sort of layout based around those photos.

Nick, this project is always topicality! But, the lack of time for the hobby, doesn't help me in this project...

I received last week my Fast track Sn3 tools to scratch my turnouts...Yes, Sn3 is 14.3mm track gauge and perfect to reproduce 50cm gauge in 1:35 scale! And 50cm gauge is the gauge used generally on mining line, and the French mining line "Les Eduits", was in 50cm gauge...

I need to do my track (wood ties, and steel ties - pressed ties and corrugated -) and of course my new gas locos...

Franck

Mobilgas

Franck,     The pictures you posted of the mining track running along the side of the hill are GREAT ;D 
Craig

Frederic Testard

Great track work, indeed. It's high time you start the project, and maybe publish more pictures for others to dream, or perhaps to build.
In any case, looking at the track on these pictures, there doesn't seem to be tons of spikes, right?
Frederic Testard

Ray Dunakin

Wow, that hillside (mining?) track is way too cool! Especially the roof to protect from falling rocks. Where is this track? Do you have more photos of it?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

shropshire lad

Franck has finally let the cat out of the bag and revealed where this mine is . I did some Googling and came up with a few extra pictures of "Les Eduit de Saint-Chaffrey " but nothing as good as we have already got .
  I am rather reluctant to tell those not in the know where the rest of Franck's photos are for fear that someone else will use them before me (even though they are not my photos ) to incorporate them into a diorama or layout , but I figured someone less selfish than me would do it anyway so , what the heck . Go to the third last page ( at the moment page 20 )of the General Section and find the topic "New modeller with questions" and look at page2 . I have them all printed out ready to be transformed into the best looking layout ever built . Then I wake up !

Nick