• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

Gordon --

Agree with the others ... and wonder if you're just staring too intently at this point ... or maybe it's that scary red primer that's throwing off the perception.

Did a b&w comparison of your prototype and model:
-- If you're trying to build an EXACT model, then there are a few minor things to change
-- If you're trying to capture the ESSENCE of the prototype ... you nailed it!

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Mr Potato Head

Top Studio makes a 1/12 mortorcycle chain that will work and is link by link. It will fit, I am using it on a 1/32 project and it's perfect size! any smaller and I don't know how anyone could assemble it ?
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Malachi Constant

Ken Hamilton made some photo-etched chain for his 1/24 scale lumber stacker.  I have some pieces of that ... suspect that it's actually to big for your needs here.  Width at the widest part of the link is about 3mm.  Let me know if that works.   Also, maybe Gil will post the size of the chain he mentioned.  ???  -- Dallas

Andi Little

A most excellent job Gordon............. as ever!!

I'll agree with the general consensus here also;- "You're being a little too hard on yourself"!! YES, there is always the "enth" degree of modelling. But it's not a portrait or Museum model, this was designed and built to capture the "essence" of the machine. And to my mind you've done this admirably.

Regardless....................... an incredibly "Well done" from me.
KBO..................... Andi.

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks for the replies, and the sound advice of "leave it along"

However I never have been very good at taking advice, and by the time most of you had typed it I had already taken apart the large cog and spent an enjoyable hour or so gluing 10 x 20 thou strips on edge around to form the teeth, and thinning the whole thing down a bit  ...... and I am a lot happier now with it. Have also stripped off the gear teeth on the drum and will try a better effort on it tonight - photos will follow when it is all back together.

Dallas, thanks for the comparison black and white shot , hopefully you can do the same again when its sorted and maybe we will see a difference ?

Andi:-[ honest, I have not forgotten will get to the Post Office sometime today, promise!
Gordon

Gordon Ferguson

Rain has curtailed work so finished off corrections

if nothing else I am happier now ....... off to paint shop
Gordon

shropshire lad

Gordon ,

I must admit it does look better now that you have "fiddled" with it . However, you probaly need not have bothered as I am going to have that side against the wall of the brick shed so you won't really see the changes you have made . Still we will know , won't we !

Nick

Gordon Ferguson

Bloody hell Nick you might have told me, and I could have save myself saved all that work !

Oh nearly forgot, received a Tax Rebate today so only need to find another £489. 92 and I can afford the postage! failing that can you point me toward your thread about building brick by brick sheds
Gordon

finescalerr

Of course it looks better; but it didn't look bad before. -- Russ

Malachi Constant

Quote from: gfadvance on April 04, 2011, 01:21:19 AM
Thanks for the replies, and the sound advice of "leave it along"

However I never have been very good at taking advice, and by the time most of you had typed it I had already taken apart the large cog and spent an enjoyable hour or so gluing 10 x 20 thou strips on edge around to form the teeth, and thinning the whole thing down a bit  ...... and I am a lot happier now with it. Have also stripped off the gear teeth on the drum and will try a better effort on it tonight - photos will follow when it is all back together.

Dallas, thanks for the comparison black and white shot , hopefully you can do the same again when its sorted and maybe we will see a difference ?

Sure!  First photo below is "before & after" for the model ... then a comparison of the prototype with the revised model.  Glad you were able to get in there, as the changes are extremely effective.  Now, of course, you'll want to study the LIGHTING on that prototype so you can get some nice shading and highlighting on your model!  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas

Frederic Testard

Gordon, the new one is indeed better even if the first one was already excellent.
Sometimes you'll want to enter into this extra-work, others not. It's surely very personnal, and I think 50 people could have told you #1 was good without deterring you from making #2.
Frederic Testard

shropshire lad

Quote from: gfadvance on April 04, 2011, 11:46:12 AM
Bloody hell Nick you might have told me, and I could have save myself saved all that work !

Oh nearly forgot, received a Tax Rebate today so only need to find another £489. 92 and I can afford the postage! failing that can you point me toward your thread about building brick by brick sheds

Gordon ,

Do you mean to say that you have been an inmate of this Forum for all this time and haven't come across the " Call me what you want , but don't call me mad " thread currently to be found on page 5 of the Modellers at Work section ? What have you been doing with your time ? Building models or something ?

Nick

Mr Potato Head

here is the jig provided to assemble the chain, as you can see it's pretty small, I will measure it and let you know.
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

NORCALLOGGER

Gordon,
Been gone for a few days and just catching back up on your build.

I think the changes are a vast improvement (refinement) in the finished model.

Reading through the comments here, I have to add that, there is only one person that
has to be "satisfied" with the end result.
Just my 2 cents
Rick

Philip Smith

Looks much better with the fine tooth gears.

8)