• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I agree, it does look much closer to the prototype now. Glad you were able to do that without too much additional work and without damaging the model.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Gordon Ferguson

Have had some discussions with Nick over my concerns over the size of the mixer i.e. whither I had scaled it right from the photos ............. here it is with one of the MK35 figures

Looking at it I still think I am a bit out, I based the dimensions on guessing the origonal had 18" wheels maybe would have been better assuming 16" but I can live with it.

I am going to start a new thread for this to cover the painting and building a base for it as I think it is getting a little a way from the concept of this thread.

Here is a bit of clutter, built for part of the mixer diorama  ...... basically paper hardened with superglue, some of Dave's laser cut wheels with added paper rims, etc. Was done as an experiment as I was struggling to make scale 1/35 steels channels so thought I would try with thin paper .... one of the handles needs more work as I broke the origonal off, which then disappeared so this is a replacement.

Gordon

marc_reusser

Brilliant!....great builds Gordon. You don't need to move the mixer....its perfect here.....unless you want a separate thread so it's easier to find.  Besides inspired by yours I have started back on mine.....insta phone camera shot from the bench as I write this attached.

Marc

(ps.  Let me know of you want a seperate thread, and I can split what you have already done off from this one.)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Fine by me Marc, I just thought it was getting a bit of a ramble for this thread ......... just leave everything where it is  :)

Like the progress you are making on yours ......... that motor/drive  unit is neat ... modified from a kit part?

Oh and where did you get the wheel centre from ? its got that cast iron look about it
Gordon

Mr Potato Head

that's a very cool figure! It must be high water season there? he's got those pants hitched up pretty high? I guess that's what i have to look forward to in my old age, it should really bug my son? : - 0-
MPH
gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Junior

Excellent work from both of you! What else to expect from Marc and Gordon....... :o.... and DaveĀ“s neat pieces seem to find a home in all sorts of places - believe I used those little wheels as well.

Anders ;D

marc_reusser

Quote from: gfadvance on April 14, 2011, 07:55:03 AM

......... that motor/drive  unit is neat ... modified from a kit part?

Oh and where did you get the wheel centre from ? its got that cast iron look about it

Gordon,

The arcd green part with the louvers on the motor/drive is a modified bonnet/hood from a 1/48 scale Lindberg car kit (can't recall which kit I pillaged it from)., the rest is black and white styrene.

The centre for the wheels (not as nice and delicate as yours,....as I was too lazy), are trimmed down and modified Grandt-Line cable sheaves. I ground down the outer sheave rims to the point I wanted, and also cut off one oth the axle nubs (where I then used/glued a large Grant-Line NBW to represent the hub and axle end).

I was originally planning to build the mixer with the tipical configuration of motor at sede and wheels at side (like is commonly seen today...however I made the mounting yoke (the cast white piece over the drum in the photo) about 1-2mm too wide...and at the moment I really don't want to go back and remake it...so am thinking of more of a two wheel carts, type of design...we'll see..the yoke width still bothers me...but I'm not sure if it's due to aesthetics, or my anal/neurotic nature. :)

Marc

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Anders, from some one who makes the jewels of models that you do appreciate the positive comment.

Marc, thanks for the info, have to have a closer look at what Grant Line have available.

I'm a bit loathe to comment on the "yoke" as its a lot better constructed than mine but something looks wrong, it might be just the distance it is from back of the drum .... appreciated you are probable leaving room for the drive gear ( guess who had to remake his because this little fact ;)) or it could just be that I am looking at sort of upside down from the position it will normally be in ... but these yokes seem to usually be (covering myself here!) constructed so that they are a close fit as in this example    
Gordon

marc_reusser

Gordon,

You are correct about the spacing being there for the gear.  The photo that I was using for an example didn't have that nifty little bend in the yoke, like yours does....it had a flange mounted roller bearing (for lack of a better description) on the inside of the yoke, this caused the drum to be spaced like that, hence the support flanges in the extended drum shaft/bearing of the yoke. I am not following a single photo for reference, rather three...the drum and yoke assembly from one, and the cart detailing from the other two...don't know why...but probably, because it makes it easier for me to just mindlessly putter along.  ;D   Your question caused me to look back through my refernce material, and thus I think I have now discovered a way to mitigate the extra 1-2mm space. THANKS!  :)

Marc

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

As I am trying to put off getting the air brush out to paint the mixer .... it just irritates me that it takes me 20 minutes to set everything up, mix paint and clean up afterwards for about 30 sec of actual spraying .......... so decided to continue to build little bits to add to the clutter around it.

All the old yards I have ever seen always seem to have a garden roller buried in the undergrowth , even when there isn't a lawn or garden in site .
So here is my take on one, trying to give it a sort of Edwardian feel about it ..... as usual used some of Vectorcuts bits here and there to add a bit of decoration to it ( must buy shares in that company ;D) again construction is my usual mix of microstrip & paper hardened with superglue.

Still thinking about adding the wooden handles, these are the bits that normally break hence the rollers being abandoned.

Going to add a couple of wheel barrows, have built them before in 1/24 but 1/35 will be a different challenge and I have a couple of other ideas.
Gordon

Malachi Constant

Interesting and unusual ... as usual from you, Gordon.  Keep 'em coming!  ;D -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

marc_reusser

Gordon, Another little beauty.

Gordon also brow-beat me into re-doing the yoke for my cement mixer. The first go around with the too long yoke, is at the top; the new/ second, try is the bottom one. The new one is about 3.5mm narrower, I added a slight bit more radius detail at the inside and outside corners, and offset the drum mount/axle (as per one of the reference photos I was working from). The oil cup is a 1/35 sight/eye-piece from an armor kit, and the adjusting bolt is a modified Grandt-Line NBW. Casting number decals are from Archer.

Marc

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

That looks great, Marc. Amazing how much detail one can put into such a simple component.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Gordon Ferguson

Nice details Marc, I need to add some oil cups to mine so all I need to do is buy a couple of 1/35 armour kits for a couple of bits about 3mm in size  ::)

Out of interest what thickness of plastic card are you using, I use this little guide I made to try and keep my little bits in scale ........... I appreciate its not overly accurate I just rounded up or down to the nearest thickness of card v typical imperial real life sizes.
Gordon

Malachi Constant

Yeah, that's a good estimate ... I really ought to print that out, as I'm always doing that in my head when working with styrene ... or plasticard!  ;D  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com