• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Thanks guys. It's 1/24  (but think the technique also works for 1/35).
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Quote from: gfadvance on June 13, 2011, 12:18:55 AM
Just an apology, have not managed to sort out SBS on cobbles ........ it will get done.

I blame those people who wanted asphalt!

The cobbled yard, currently

Hey Gordon --

Did you ever post the SBS on cobbles ... or did I miss it?  ??? 

Will settle for a photo of the "plastic bits" used for the embossing.  ;D

Thanks!
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Gordon Ferguson

Hi Dallas,

sorry never did get round to the SBS.

Got to go out for a couple of hours but will put together something later. In meantime gather the following bits together

* Modelling clay, just the ordinary type that you get from any art or craft shop.

* Piece of MDF or 1/4" plywood.

* Water soluble white glue PVA, think Elmer's is your equivalent .... you don't want a glue that is water proof when dry !

* Assorted lengths of Evergreen or plastitruc square tubing, I used 1/4" x 3/16" and 3/16" square for 1/24 scale but the sizes are not critical.

* large brushes one soft and one hard brush

* optional ..... ball bearing or marble about 1 to 2" in dia.

Let me know when you have the bits collected and I''l do part (ii) ;)
Gordon

Bexley

CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

Malachi Constant

Quote from: gfadvance on November 24, 2011, 11:38:21 AM
Let me know when you have the bits collected and I''l do part (ii) ;)

Okay!  I've accumulated all of the items listed ... and a reference photo showing local cobblestones ...

Malachi Constant

And another photo showing local brick sidewalks and details (like french fries) to line the gutter ... here we see some local modelers or artists studying that detail ...

Malachi Constant

And, of course, no scavenger hunt would be complete without some drunken bachelorettes ... but aside from that distraction, we have a better shot of those lovely brick sidewalks here ... so, fire away with that SBS when ready!  ;D

PS -- As you may have already guessed, the part of town that still has cobblestone streets is one of the more interesting areas ... might have to head back that way for more inspiration if the project becomes complicated.  8)

W.P. Rayner

To hell with the brick sidewalks, I'll go with the drunken bachelorettes....  ;)

Paul

marc_reusser

Hmm....hookers...I think there are some 1/24 and 1/35 figures for that detail.

M

M-Works

Malachi Constant

Quote from: marc_reusser on November 25, 2011, 05:20:17 PM
Hmm....hookers...I think there are some 1/24 and 1/35 figures for that detail.

M

Well, this may be a very esoteric differential ... but, technically, college girls on Halloween ... even the police were having a nice time ... and the horseys made a nice clippity-clop on the cobblestones.  ;D

marc_reusser

Still looks like hookers  ;D

...the real question that begs,...what were you doing down there...and does your wife know? ;) ;D :P

M-Works

Malachi Constant

I'm happily divorced ... and allowed to stay out as late as I want without excuse or explanation ... so, I was studying the COBBLESTONES (it's always about the modeling, eh?) ... and making new friends!    ;D

Oh, further excuse ... on an ordinary day, there's bumper-to-bumper traffic on that street, so it would be dangerous to study the cobblestones ... on this occasion, the police were kind enough to block off all vehicular traffic, so it was a good time to study the street and take a leisurely stroll.  8)

PS -- In 1/35 scale, Aurora Model makes some lovely "Halloween" figures:
http://aurora-model.jp/e-index.html

So, as soon as Gordon gives me the info on the cobblestones, I'll be all set!  (I want to get rid of the crappy pressed-foam street outside the extremely-unfinished 1/35 cafe)  Oh, and for a trans-Atlantic tie-in, those photos were shot on Thames Street (and, much to the amusement of our British friends, this is not far from Pratt Street).

Malachi Constant

PS -- Photos are in the Fells Point area in Baltimore, where the B&O Docksider locos once roamed.  This site has a handful of photos showing surviving tracks in the cobblestone streets:
http://www.monumentalcity.net/railroads/street/

And check out this one for a real mish-mash of cobblestones, brick, asphalt, rails, etc.  A real modeling "challenge" or total nightmare:
http://www.monumentalcity.net/railroads/street/sttrkcentral.jpg

This is much more typical, shot on Thames Street:
http://www.monumentalcity.net/railroads/street/sttrkthames.jpg

Cheers,
Dallas

finescalerr

WARNING: It is within the moderator's discretion to remove all posts of females wearing more than thong bikinis. Post at your own risk.

michael mott

Perhaps those pictures belong in the Dianoramas ::)

Michael