• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordon Ferguson

Hi James, thanks for taking the trouble to try and help me.

I did spend an hour today carving a bit of wall exactly as you stated concentrating on the individual shapes and leaving the "spaces" to sort themselves out. However it still did not look right ........... in this case the spaces between the individual bits of stone were too large in comparison to the photo references I have

Decided that actually this may be like doing brick work ............. as some guy in deepest Shropshire occasionally remarks "if you don't build from individual bricks it ain't a brick wall"

So on that basis intend to cast up various sheets of plaster of different thicknesses and build my drystone wall from these ............. will post the next exciting installment sometime soon.
Gordon

Malachi Constant

Gordon --

The painting/coloring on the test stones looks really good ... they give the visual "feel" of stone with the subtle variations in surface color, etc.  Nice.

Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

mabloodhound

I actually like your original wall, except for the "jigsaw" pieces.   
It is definitely of the "fieldstone" type as opposed to the flat cut stone shown in your next photo.
This is a pretty good example
Dave Mason
D&GRR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"A people that values its privileges above its principles will soon lose both."~Dwight D. Eisenhower

Gordon Ferguson

Well I am glad people liked the colouring at least, but lets not say anymore about the carving.

Tried the thin plaster sheets ................ even more of a disaster!

However one more attempt using individual (Nick may have a point) blocks cut from dense foam, piece is approx 6" long by 2" high

Only posting at this stage as I am not overly confident that I can reproduce the same paint finish

Gordon

Andi Little

Now that's much better, its physicality is much more convincing; helped by the much deeper relief I suspect, and those capstones are what comes to mind if I visualise dry stone walling.
Curious as to exactly what type of foam you're using? - I don't recognise it. [type and source please]  :).

Looking interesting Gordon - very interested to see where you're going with this???
KBO..................... Andi.

billmart

The foam one looks VERY good to me, Gordon.  Reminds me of dry stone walls I've seen in the Cotswolds (except for the color of course  ;D).

Bill Martinsen

Ray Dunakin

I think you could refine the carved stones to be reasonably convincing. However, the wall of foam stones looks terrific! It's hard to beat the authentic stacking of individual "stones", combined with the seemingly natural texture provided by the dense foam.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

That foam stone wall is a thing of beauty! Now would you please do an SBS on "blocks cut from dense foam".....I mean what the heck kind of an explantion is that?!!! >:(  How about giving is some useful photos and written instructions, so we can copy you!! ;D ;D

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Thanks.

Andi

I got the foam from B & Q ............ in the home/loft insulation section. However have not seen it there for a couple of years!
(I do have a fair bit kicking around as I was going to use  it for the base of the bottom yard  ::) so if you want some PM me)

Marc

Now I not only have to remember how I painted the first wall but you want me to remember how the foam wall was built as well.

Will see what I can do
Gordon

finescalerr

About painting those beautiful stones:

Some others here may have much better ideas but, years ago, I achieved a very convincing effect by covering cast resin stones with flat white acrylic interior wall paint. When that dried I stained the stones with a dilute India ink and rubbing alcohol mixture and later with dilute acrylic tan paint. The paint behaved as though it was almost porous and took the stains very well.

The trick, of course, is to find a base coat capable of taking stains.

Russ

lab-dad

I think you should make a mold of it and send 5 or 6
to all of us so we can help experiment with color(ing).
Marty

Gordon Ferguson

Marty, not a bad idea .................. however you have not seen the mess I usually make with silicon whenever I get brave enough to have another go at mould making  :-\

Russ, good idea unfortunately I had already put some paint on it before I read your comments

OK its only some undercoat, a bit of a mix of Vallejo black grey & Vallejo German Green Brown surface primer ............. wanted to soften the shadows a bit by not using a straight black which I am beginning to realise is a bit harsh ......... especially in 1/35

The colour combined with the dark back ground seems to have confused my camera/me but at least it gives you an idea of the textures. Looking a the photo I need to redo the hinge pins in the gate post(another bit of foam ) look a bit lightweight to me 
Gordon

Andi Little

This has great potential, and the pintles don't look so bad - I'm more worried about this constant transgression into 1/35.

"Oh the Horror"!
KBO..................... Andi.

finescalerr

Foam seems to be your friend. Embrace it. Most adequate. -- Russ