• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Thanks guys.

Kim, nothing so complex ...it's all kept to "stupid simple"....and takes but 10 minutes per stone.

Helmut, You give me far too much credit...there is absolutely no thought or meticulousness involved in any of these pieces....I just sit down, pick up some plastic, and go where it leads me. :)

I guess if you're going to have a shop, you should offer your customers some cheap thru-wall air conditioning.
Piece is styrene (and a partial Lego, thanks Barney), side louvers/vents scrounged and adapted from an old 1/48 scale Ford car kit, rear mesh/screen I believe was the radiator from a 1/24 car kit of some sort. The part still needs some fill and sanding...but almost there. Not much to the left of the lovers will be seen outside the wall.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

finescalerr

darrylhuffman

Marc commented:  That's very kind of you Russ  Smiley, but I have only given 3 of my builds/experiments to people, and I have regretted it every time...not because I am/was fond of them, but rather because I feel really uncomfortable having a record of my work and mediocrity floating around out there....don't want that stuff coming back to haunt me.

Marc,

Your comment reminded me of the old Little Depot layout in Buena Park.

Back in the 1970s, I really enjoyed that layout but when the business changed hands, the new owners started putting Tyco bulldozers and such on the layout without any weathering or repainting at all.

It destroyed the effect of the layout.

In one of my moves decades ago I donated some of my scratchbuilt buildings to a local club.

Years later I happened to visit the club and found members of the club had put the buildings in bizarre places and had made clumsy modifications to the buildings.

I decided that I will never pass on my projects again.

Tom Beaton has built and sold models for other people for a long time but I simply cannot do it.

I watched a "matte painter" for a studio doing a beautiful painting on glass for a movie.  Someone commented that he was an true artist.

The painter pointed out that the was not an artist, but rather a craftsman.  He said an artist falls in love with each painting whereas a craftsman does not.

He explained this project would be used for one scene in a movie and then it would be moved into a warehouse where it would soon be marred and destroyed.

He accepted that fact without any problems at all.

I don't consider myself to be an artist but I do like to think the few pieces I am passing on at my death will be treated with respect.

Marc, I have always really enjoyed your approach to the hobby.  You can take simple materials at hand and make them into true works of art.

I hope you know that there are bunches of us no-talent people who marvel at your work and truly think you are an amazingly talented man.

Thanks for sharing.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

Barney

always thought HORLICKS was a hot drink
Barney
Humbrol and Lego rules

Design-HSB

Quote from: marc_reusser on December 19, 2012, 12:38:58 AM
Helmut, You give me far too much credit...there is absolutely no thought or meticulousness involved in any of these pieces....I just sit down, pick up some plastic, and go where it leads me. :)
Hi Marc,
Your statement makes me realize that you certainly have a very different approach to the model but it's my union to conclude your work.

Volker, Frithjof and I also speak as private together through model and all 3 have here an original what we insperiert.
Of course, the many other modelers do here in the forum so, but there are also like you to see something and think creatively, which I can make it.
I think both ways are good ways for outstanding model.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

Mr Potato Head

yea its good ::)
but where's the UL sticker ;D
just trying to keep you grounded :P
I miss our lunches with the soup Nazi Lebanese waitress
Happy Holidays
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

Thank you Darryll, I dont know what to say. That's very flattering. I like you're story...and I would definitely have to say I feel  like the matte painter.

Thank you Helmut. Yes I do like to build just random things, and things that more often than not, be overlooked, or are common in daily life.

Gill, miss the lunches as well. I actually haven't been back in a long while. BTW....would really love to see you podting some of your builds here on the forum.

I know there is still a conundrum about the kerb stone technique...so I thought I would let you know, that it is possible to do it on a curved piece as well ;D (the textured part still needs the final step to get the finished look.)

...... Oh, and here is the extra credit part of the kerb quiz: how was this radius made using only styrene and glue,....no cutting, no sawing, no tools whatsoever ...and no, the styrene was not soaked in the glue to soften it.  ;D

Cheers,

M-Works

SandiaPaul

I have put curves in styrene by drawing the strip over the edge of a table while pulling down.  Works for metal strip too.

But is that how you did it Marc?

Paul
Paul

Malachi Constant

I know!  You're mental ...  ;D
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Mr Potato Head

I figured out how you made the texture! You used your teeth! Those are knawel marks!  :o :o :o
Still thinking on the curved technique ??? ??? ???
yea yea yea I'll embarrass myself soon and put some of my work up :-[ :-[ :-[
mph
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

lab-dad

Lots of thin "layers" like can be done with wood veneers?
-mj

marc_reusser

Ding! Ding! Ding!....Mr. Jones, gets the extra credit points.  7-layers of .030 laminated together around a curved form....in this case, an old jar.  You want to be sure when doing this, that whatever you use as a form, is not something like plastic or ABS, that the styrene can bond with. After laminating, it is good to wait a about a day, to let it fully cure, before working it.

M-Works

marc_reusser

Quote from: Malachi Constant on December 20, 2012, 05:06:18 AM

I know!  You're mental ...  ;D

LOL...unfortunately not in a good way.  ;D ;D ;D

Marc "Uri" Reusser

M-Works

Design-HSB

Hi Marc,

I create such structures with dental burs free hand as the following example.

The long narrow cuts (joints) are easily cut with a cutting disc.

Dental bur and handpiece on flexible shaft.

If it's all about the turn, you can also cuts with a saw into the material make but you have been a perfect solution.
Regards Helmut
the journey is the goal

lab-dad

WOO HOO!!!
eat my dust boys!
"extra credit!" who's your daddy now!

-Mj ;D