• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

"Toto, I don't think we're in Plasticville anymore ...." -- Russ

shropshire lad

Quote from: finescalerr on December 28, 2012, 12:50:53 AM
"Toto, I don't think we're in Plasticville anymore ...." -- Russ

Mmm, I think , Doctor , we need to up Reinberg's dosage . He thinks he's Dorothy now .

Heh , Marc , are you " feelin' it " yet ?  'Cos it looks good to me ,

Nick

Ray Dunakin

Looks great so far. I like the rust stains around the post holes on the wall.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

1-32

hi mark
looking good maybe the post could be a parking meter.i like the exposed steel reo rod.
regards kim

Alexandre

Cmon Marc!
Damaged stickers on the post?!  :o

Excellent detail.

marc_reusser

Some WIP.....

1/48 Scale

1/35 Scale
Base color dark black/brown Tamiya mix, with an overspray of AK "Old Rust" paint....when dry.... Dusting w/ 6 pigment colors, wash of turp,...when dry.... random wash of very diluted AK Light Rust wash.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Wesleybeks

Very cool Marc.

What did you use for the tar paper in the little shed? Could you explain your technique to get such realistic results.
Kind Regards
Wesley

Modelling in sunny South Africa

Gordon Ferguson

No, No , No ....................

I don't mind a new piece coming out of left field  ............. it does look rather good

BUT, don't start changing scale on me now !!!!
Gordon

marc_reusser

Gordon:
No worries. Top piece is a "shelf queen" that I am using to test some of the wood finish/colors on, as well as some of the AK washes.

Bottom one is part of my salt marsh scene. I didn't want bomb your thread, and didn't know where else to post my marsh stuff.

Wesley:
The base tar paper was done using the old Nash-Greenberg technique, of placing a single ply of Klenex on a telephone book page, and then giving it a brush application of Floquil grey(s) [you can use reds or greens, to do other tarpaper colors]. When dry the tissue will be bonded to the phone book sheet. The piece can then either be cut into strips, or left as sheet,....and weathered with pigmnets, dirt, acrylic washes, and as in this case, heavily thinned AK washes. N&G also used to use dity, and old dity Floquil thinner to color the tarpaper.

I did a good amount of the weatheing once the strips were glued in place over thin board-by-board roof sheathing...this helped deform contour the paper, and create areas for the weathering to collect.

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

Looking at the fine engineering and woodwork being demonstrated by others on this forum this piece definitley just falls into the "Bits & Pieces" category

(Sorry Marc, just reread that sentence, don't mean to denigrate your fine work in this thread ................ you know what I mean)

Having got a number of things into the paint shop and the need to leave them alone for a few days, decided that I would have yet another go at a 1/35 SWB Land Rover ............ I have tried this conversion a number of times always without success,probably due to me previously trying it with the Tamiya Pink Panther Land Rover.The combination of a pretty ropey kit + its raised suspension lead to an accumulation of pink plastic in the bin.

This time I started with this kit

and for me it was almost an OOB build ,shortened chassis to give the required 88" wheelbase and a bit of trimming of the bodywork ....... the hardest and longest bit of the build was converting the canvas tilt to a passable imitation of a non -works glass fibre hard top.

Most bits are just temporarily in place for the pictures so that I can break it down for painting

This one I am pretty please with as it gets pretty close to capturing the look, although its still not 100% accurate as I have no doubt the resident "landy" expert here will tell me  ;) (he might toss the odd brick ::))

Gordon

marc_reusser

Nice!  Has a perfect "The Dogs of War" or " "Wild Geese" feel to it.  You need to sculpt a fig of "Mad Mike" Hoare to go with it.

M

M-Works

Andi Little

Actually - around here it looks like every other vehicle that's tried to knock me down or force me into a ditch! Usually with some demented and wild eye collie hanging out the back just to pour scorn on anyone that has the temerity to raise a shaken fist.
We're a little bit rural you see .............. Great start to a promising project Gordon - wrong scale again though. You 1/35th guys have it easy don't you??

Looking forward to seeing you on the board again - conspicuous by your absence you've been!

Big kiss -
KBO..................... Andi.

shropshire lad

Quote from: gfadvance on January 21, 2013, 03:06:16 PM
Looking at the fine engineering and woodwork being demonstrated by others on this forum this piece definitley just falls into the "Bits & Pieces" category

(Sorry Marc, just reread that sentence, don't mean to denigrate your fine work in this thread ................ you know what I mean)

Having got a number of things into the paint shop and the need to leave them alone for a few days, decided that I would have yet another go at a 1/35 SWB Land Rover ............ I have tried this conversion a number of times always without success,probably due to me previously trying it with the Tamiya Pink Panther Land Rover.The combination of a pretty ropey kit + its raised suspension lead to an accumulation of pink plastic in the bin.

This time I started with this kit

and for me it was almost an OOB build ,shortened chassis to give the required 88" wheelbase and a bit of trimming of the bodywork ....... the hardest and longest bit of the build was converting the canvas tilt to a passable imitation of a non -works glass fibre hard top.

Most bits are just temporarily in place for the pictures so that I can break it down for painting

This one I am pretty please with as it gets pretty close to capturing the look, although its still not 100% accurate as I have no doubt the resident "landy" expert here will tell me  ;) (he might toss the odd brick ::))

Series 111s . Can't be doing with them . The last great Land Rover was made in 1958 !

Still your renditition looks pretty good , though the "trim" around the hardtop looks a bit big . But no doubt a coat or two of paint will sort that out .

One day there will be company that finally realises that to produce an accurate model of a Series One Land Rover in 1/35th scale will be a financially sound move to make . I have asked them at Accurate Armour several times but all they mumble back is that it is on their list . They would rather spend their time producing obscure models of vehicles that have only a few examples in real life . How many people want to model a Fordson Mobile Canteen , fer chrissakes ?  I reckon that a S1 Landy would outsell all the rest of their kits put together . Rant over .

Nick

Krusty

QuoteI have asked them at Accurate Armour several times but all they mumble back is that it is on their list . They would rather spend their time producing obscure models of vehicles that have only a few examples in real life . How many people want to model a Fordson Mobile Canteen , fer chrissakes ?  I reckon that a S1 Landy would outsell all the rest of their kits put together . Rant over .

How much do you want to bribe me to do something about my Britains conversion? It's a fairly safe bet that AA would release their kit about a week after I got it finished.
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

Barney

That's nice - but I think you are a brave man to enter the world of Land Rovers if you thought train spotters / rivet counters were bad dream on !  Keep it coming its a nice bit of modelling more details please on the conversion
Barney