• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bits, Pieces, & Clutter

Started by marc_reusser, October 17, 2009, 05:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Younger

" I'd be interested to see a collection of how many of these small incidental pieces you have built over the years.  Certainly it would make it easy to experiment with building up diorama's having a handy collection of misc parts to play with."

Ooooh, Dan, you don't know what you ask! I've seen many of Marc's "unfinished" clutter.
-Younger

-Younger

shropshire lad

Quote from: gfadvance on November 17, 2009, 12:36:44 AM
Marc,

love this thread and really enjoyed reading the thought process  ;)

Thought these may be of interest re "cement mixer"

There are few more detailed shots here http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee275/gfadvance/cement%20mixer/

These were supplied by Trevor Coburn and were taken in Nigeria

As for your crane, can't help with the one you have shown but this is one has some similar traits i.e movable water ballast

Again there are a few more detailed shots here http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee275/gfadvance/Heatherslaw%20Light%20Railway/ 

Crane shots are on page 5 , all taken by myself earlier this year.

I saw that crane in the flesh less than a month ago while I was on my "summer holiday" in Northumberland . In fact we were staying about 5 miles away . I didn't think to take any pictures of it as I was to busy taking shots of the loco .
  I thought it was used more for track laying . But as there is only about half a mile of track I guess it isn't used much .

Nick

Gordon Ferguson

hi Nick,

It was on my "summer holiday" in Sept that I took these shots .... to be fair reckon track length is probably about 1.5 to 2 miles? ( 15 minute trip aver. speed about 5mph) and they do seem to have relaid a lot of the track.

There are a lot of shots of the loco on that thread if of interest to you
Gordon

RoughboyModelworks

Gordon:

That crane is fantastic... what piece of engineering. I particularly like the movable water ballast. Is it an electric drive hoist, i can't really tell from the photos but it looks like an electric winch in the cab area?

Paul

marc_reusser

Here are some more small cranes that I had pics of:

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

...'Nother.....

M-Works

marc_reusser

I was looking through my HD for some stuff, and came across these  images, thought they might be of interest to anyone wanting to build a sort of flat/utility car thing. 

...of interest to Sir Nick, might be the bunk spacing on the first one  :P ;D ;D ;D

M

M-Works

marc_reusser

...s'more....

M-Works

marc_reusser

....and yet s'more.....

M-Works

marc_reusser

...and the last two.

M-Works

Marc988

Marc,

you are spoiling/teasing us !  ;) ;D

Those little cars make very nice little projects !
Do you have some suggestions where to by the journals as the ones in the pictures for example ? The frames could relatively easy be made from styreen but journals and wheels are another story.

Cheers,
Marc

marc_reusser

Marc,

I used the 1/48 scale journals from Grandt Line. They pass reasonably okay for smaller journals in 1/35.  They are Delrin, so they need  to be slightly textured by using an air-eraser, or a fiber-glass bristle brush, to make the primer stick better (I also like to use Mr. Surfacer 'Resin Primer' for them if/when I shoot them seperate from the car...it sticks to the Delrin pretty good.)

The bad part about the Grandt journals, is that they do not sell them as a seperate item (unless you order in bulk...I think the minimum was 200) before that I used to buy the Grandt kit, keep the journals and wheels, and throw away the rest.

I think that if you were planning on only building one car...though a bit of work....most of the styles shown could be done in 1/35-32 using styrene tube or rod, and some styrene sheet/strip. ...and if you absolutely need to make it roll/work, you could insert some brass bearings/cups.

M

M-Works

Marc988

Hi,

last week I received kits of crane extension parts. I think these parts would fit nicely as Bits, Pieces and Clutter in a corner on any 1:32/35 NG layout of diorama.  ;)

See the link for the parts and a very nice crane !
http://www.accurate-armour.com/showaaproducts.cfm?category=14&subcategory=25

Regards,
Marc

marc_reusser

Marc.

I completely agree...I was quite intrigued by the kit when saw your pics of it on the FS32 group. Thanks for the link.

For a while I  was actually thinking of doing a reaaly cool smaller triangular one, that I used to see laying around in an equipment storage yard that I ride/cycle by......but it seems to suddenly have disappeared...and I never thought to take a photo of it at the time!  DOH! :-X.....   Maybe it will come back some day :-\.

M

M-Works

Gordon Ferguson

OK Marc firstly apologies................ should have asked first but worked on the basis "thats its easier to get get forgiveness than it is to get permission"

Posted on the Gnatterbox, http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5833&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=  your pictures of the cranes........ I least had the decency to accredit them to you.
Very quickly this has turned into a little challenge to produce a crane or lifting device .....closing date  Feb 18th 2010.

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5908&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Know you occasionally look in/post on the Gnatterbox so feel free to join in .......... like me you probable need another project /scale :) 
Gordon