• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Chama Coal Tipple

Started by Brent, October 18, 2009, 01:03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brent

This O-scale model of the Chama Coal Tipple took over two years to build from the D&RGW blueprints and measurement taken during two site visits. It was built board-by-board from scale basswood lumber, with a balsawood 'cement' pit and Grandt Line parts. The 'tar paper' roofs are single layers of facial tissue cut into 36" wide scale strips glued down with white Elmer's glue and painted Floquil girmy black. The 36" narrow gauge track is hand laid. The photo was taken outside, in direct sunlight, with real vegitation in the background. The auto exposure was 1/30 s at f20, aperture priority.

lab-dad

thats it?
Just one picture?......
c'mon, dont be a tease!
-Marty

Brent

Since you asked...

Brent

and one more.

Brent

Here is another photo from the other direction.

mobilgas

Brent,       Good Job nice model.......Seems like nobody responds well to the D&RGW on this forum :(  But ill tell you I LIKE IT. I dont care how much has been printed or modeled on the D&RGW it's a cool line and a AMERICAN ICON  ;)  Craig

Brent

Craig,
;) Thanks for the comment on the attitude toward the D&RGW on this forum. I had been wondering why so few had responded. We can't all write about and model something as obscure as the Death Valley Monorail, so I will continue to model the D&RGW narrow gauge. I may even share more photos of my work.
Brent

jacq01

It is not so much lack of interest in the D&RGW as lack of information of the subject. Based on 4 photo's without details or a overview where it fits in the landscape, it is a bit difficult to form an opinion.  A bit more details of tower and surrounds makes it possible to compare it with photo's or information of the original or one of the many other models built of Chama.

I for myself have seen already so much of the D&RGW, that other ng railways or work from others is far more interesting.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

Whether or not we are tired of the D&RGW, Brent has done some excellent research and modeling to produce very accurate Chama fuel and sand facilities. I published his article on the diorama a few years ago and was very impressed. When a modeler goes to that extent, it makes the result seem fresh regardless of whether some of us find the subject tired.

I have seen more of Brent's modeling than has appeared on this site or in print and have spent some time with him. He's a guy we should help and encourage. He has the skills and raw talent. So let him have it (in the usual fashion). Tell him what's right, suggest improvements, and encourage him in whatever direction you want. I suspect he will rise to the occasion.

Russ

mobilgas

Brent,      Buy all means keep posting pictures,when you get some more modeling done.   Craig

RoughboyModelworks

Brent:

Very nice job on the Chama Coal tower... really like that setting sun shot with the trees in the background - very effective. Don't worry about whether people are interested in D&RGW here or not. This forum's about fine model-building regardless of the prototype or discipline. Of course, with a bunch of lunatics like us, you tend to get some fairly esoteric prototypes, but it's the modelling that's the main thing for most of us. Look forward to seeing more of your work and photos.

Paul

Brent

Perhaps a little more detail on my model will be helpful. The prototype in Chama was one of three built by the D&RGW from the same plans, however each were different depending on the sizes of timber available. The other two similar tipples in Durango and Gunnison were demolished long ago, with only the one in Chama still standing. It has been used briefly by the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad years and restored several times, most recently this past summer. It stands between the roundhouse and two-spout water tanks, all of which are to the north of and across the main line from the depot. The main line and delivery chute are on the west of the tipple. The elevated delivery track and pit are on the east side. Coal was dumped into the delivery pit from drop bottom gondolas where it was gravity loaded into two buckets that transferred the coal to a 25 ton capacity bin above the machinery part of the structure. The buckets were powered by a small gasoline engine and later by and electric motor. Both remain in place. Coal was dumped into locomotive tenders by gravity from the coal bin through a gate and down a chute controlled by the locomotive fireman.

My model will sit in the same place on a layout considerably compressed in length. It was constructed on a Homosote base over plywood. The cement foundation and delivery pit are balsa wood covered with plaster so replicate cement poured in wooden forms. The structures were built from basswood scale lumber board-by-board. Grandt Line parts were used throughout, including NBW castings, doors, windows, buckets and delivery pit ironwork. Some parts, such as the elevator bucket tracks and the coal chute are scratch built of wood, paper and styrene. All track is hand-laid.  This structure, along with the adjacent sand pit and drying house, are complete and waiting for the layout to be built.

My current project it a scale model of the 120 foot long Chama depot. It is nearing completion – I will share photos of it as it has progressed over the last two years.

Brent

Brent

Here is a close-up of the coal delivery track and pit.

Brent

This shows the base of the structure. The weathering turned out quite well - I like the effect.

Ray Dunakin

Cool. I especially like that last photo, looks very realistic.

Do you know if the tipple was restored to operating condition, or just cosmetic?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World